• 7(current)
[Release] Kinos - Kodi Jarvis for Apple TV gen 1
no. I'm not sure how to try afp when I try to add a network location, afp isn't an option. 

there aren't many fields so not sure where i could've messed up for SMB...? 

From what i can tell, all i add is the name of the TC, the IP address, and then the password...

There is some disagreement about what to put in the "username" field... but I've tried pretty much all options (blank, "admin", the name of the TC: "Capsule"

EDIT:

I did notice that if I remove the shared folder (which is "Data" on TC), I don't get the error, but it seems to open an empty folder.

Also - I have no problem accessing my TC from my MacBook Pro.
Well, are you able to access the share with a Mac or a Windows PC?
AFP can be enabled from within the configuration of the Time Capsule. (It might default to only SMB, since I think Apple has largely deprecated AFP) It should be browsable if you choose "zeroconf browser" when adding a source.
Also I think Time Capsule uses SMB2, I don't think Kodi Jarvis supports this..? (Not sure, since I've never had to figure this out myself)
You could try "guest" or "Guest" for username, but normally that shouldn't be necessary.
The Time Capsule appears in the list under zeroconf browser... so does my MacBook ... but when I click either of them, I just get a "Working...." signal for a minute or two and then it stops and nothing happened.
Even SMB appears under "Zeroconf Browser", make sure that AFP is enabled. (If both SMB and AFP is enabled, then both will show up).

If you want a cheap NAS that works, then I think the WD MYCloud line is pretty good for basic usage. (It basically cost the same as buying the internal drive seperately).

Anyways, you could just use the ATV as a SMB server. It should work out of the box. (\\Kinos\devices\xxx)
Any idea how to enable AFP on the time capsule? It doesn't have many options for setting up...

The Time Capsule was an impulse buy and I'm pretty much already see it being a pointless purchase and will be getting returned.

To be honest though, it's probably my fault. Not sure if it's obvious, but I only understand about 50% of what you say.
I dunno. Might even be that AFP is broken in Kodi. (I think this even removed from newer Kodi versions).
If you are unable to use "Windows browser" and "Zeroconf Browser", then yes, the easiest would be to return the Time Capsule and buy a cheap Linux based NAS instead. The cheapest I know that will do the work and is reasonably fast is the WD Mycloud gen2. You might even get a good deal on that since WD has replaced it with the Mycloud Home.
(2018-01-18, 07:41)Whitey9457 Wrote: The Time Capsule appears in the list under zeroconf browser... so does my MacBook ... but when I click either of them, I just get a "Working...." signal for a minute or two and then it stops and nothing happened.
 Sorry to jump in late here and maybe off base. But if your trying to access you're TC and/or MacBook via smb from Kodi and your Macbook is running High Sierra good luck with that. SMB has been a trainwreck ever since HS. I went around that and used NFS via NFS manager on my Macbook. Been working a treat ever since. Just a thought.
Thanks! That makes sense.... but I still should be able to connect my ATV1 and the TC. Right? They're both wired directly to the modem (yellow network cables). I was maybe even hoping that the Modem and TC might show up in the as a connected drive because of that as if I connected them with USB or whatever.... clearly not the case though (this probably shows what a noob i am)

I don't even care to have my MacBook connected but I know it already is via SSH as well as occasionally showing up as a shared drive on my MacBook (unreliably though). 

<<the easiest would be to return the Time Capsule and buy a cheap Linux based NAS instead. The cheapest I know that will do the work and is reasonably fast is the WD Mycloud gen2>>

instead of cheapest, do you have a recommendation on the best for my uses? The Time Capsule was $400 so doesn't gotta be the cheapest if there is an option that is better/fast/longer life, etc.  Also, I'm really sorry to bug you with these dumb questions but can you just quickly tell me why a cheap linux based NAS will work when this didn't? Is the problem that it is "too new"?

part of me is a little worried that it could possibly be how my network is setup and the solution might have to do with port forwarding, etc. 

Lastly, please send me a link to where I can send a small donation for appreciation (or a few links if you know the core people involved in these jailbreaks....I probably owe a few different people from over the years). I have been using my ATV1 since it was brand new with various different jailbreaks. Sometimes it's frustrating because I don't know computers but I haven't paid a cable (TV) bill in like 10 years.
Also, on a side note:

If I install the youtube addon (5.4.13) on this kinos setup, pretty much nothing works. But then I downgraded to 5.4.5 and it works pretty great. 

If I'm using my phone or laptop and I want to send something to my ATV1 (since airplay doesn't really work), I use yatse on my phone and XBMC remote (widget) on my macbook to send youtube links to my ATV1. The ads that normally play at the beginning of a youtube video on my computer or phone won't play on my ATV which is pretty awesome.
Hi

thanks for the quick reply

I edited the kodi.conf file as suggested - no luck.

Code:
to

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)

here is  my advance settings xml for reference:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<advancedsettings>
        <videodatabase>          
         <type>mysql</type>            
           <host>192.168.1.16</host>           
           <port>3306</port>             
           <user>KodiUser</user>           
           <pass>KodiPassword</pass>
       </videodatabase> 
       <musicdatabase>              
         <type>mysql</type>          
           <port>3306</port>            
           <user>KodiUser</user>       
           <pass>KodiPassword</pass>
       </musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>

in further testing

i tried enabling the wake on LAN function under Settings - System - Power Savings - Try to wake remote servers on access

then edited the generated wake on lan.xml with the port of the mysql as referenced below:

<onaccesswakeup>
    <netinittimeout>50</netinittimeout>
    <netsettletime>500</netsettletime>
    <wakeup>
        <mac>xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx</mac>
        <pingport>3306</pingport>
        <pingmode>1</pingmode>
        <timeout>300</timeout>
        <waitonline>40</waitonline>
        <waitonline2>40</waitonline2>
        <waitservices>5</waitservices>
    </wakeup>
</onaccesswakeup>

still no luck

for now i have just added the NAS content under files with the NO assignment

the ATV1's are in the spare room and kids room - they can access the networked content folder easily

and I must again - thank you - the ATV1's work awesome and playback is smoooth !

if you have any other ideas or suggestion - am open to try

regards
(2018-01-18, 17:59)Whitey9457 Wrote: Thanks! That makes sense.... but I still should be able to connect my ATV1 and the TC. Right? They're both wired directly to the modem (yellow network cables). I was maybe even hoping that the Modem and TC might show up in the as a connected drive because of that as if I connected them with USB or whatever.... clearly not the case though (this probably shows what a noob i am)

I don't even care to have my MacBook connected but I know it already is via SSH as well as occasionally showing up as a shared drive on my MacBook (unreliably though). 

<<the easiest would be to return the Time Capsule and buy a cheap Linux based NAS instead. The cheapest I know that will do the work and is reasonably fast is the WD Mycloud gen2>>

instead of cheapest, do you have a recommendation on the best for my uses? The Time Capsule was $400 so doesn't gotta be the cheapest if there is an option that is better/fast/longer life, etc.  Also, I'm really sorry to bug you with these dumb questions but can you just quickly tell me why a cheap linux based NAS will work when this didn't? Is the problem that it is "too new"?

part of me is a little worried that it could possibly be how my network is setup and the solution might have to do with port forwarding, etc. 

Lastly, please send me a link to where I can send a small donation for appreciation (or a few links if you know the core people involved in these jailbreaks....I probably owe a few different people from over the years). I have been using my ATV1 since it was brand new with various different jailbreaks. Sometimes it's frustrating because I don't know computers but I haven't paid a cable (TV) bill in like 10 years.
 I generally only recommend hardware that I have experience with, and the MyCloud range is a breeze to set up and should do what you needs it to do. Not necessarily because it's "cheap". However, if you want something that gives you the full package and then some, then consider the Synology DS218+ . (I also have a "fake" synology box, aka xpenology, and the GUI and the Linux based OS is fantastic)
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS218+
https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-Disk...B075N1BYWX

The DS218+ range is based on (one of) the newest Celeron generations, so will even transcode HEVC 10b in hardware using Synology's DS Video app. Plex might support the hardware transcoder in the future.

No, the problem isn't port forwarding etc. I'm pretty sure it's because of Apples SMB implementation.

Beer is always welcomed at [email protected] (I know, I should have used a less suspect email..)
(2018-01-18, 19:20)ATV1-canada Wrote: Hi

thanks for the quick reply

I edited the kodi.conf file as suggested - no luck.
in further testing

i tried enabling the wake on LAN function under Settings - System - Power Savings - Try to wake remote servers on access

then edited the generated wake on lan.xml with the port of the mysql as referenced below:

--

still no luck

for now i have just added the NAS content under files with the NO assignment

the ATV1's are in the spare room and kids room - they can access the networked content folder easily

and I must again - thank you - the ATV1's work awesome and playback is smoooth !

if you have any other ideas or suggestion - am open to try

regards  
You're welcome!

Could you google "upstart wait for network". If you get it to work, please do tell, so I can include it in a new build.
For instance, this link suggested "start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)" Others are adding "and net-device-up IFACE=eth0", "and started networking". Does it work if you quit Kodi? (Kodi will auto restart when quit, and then the network would already be up)

I'm planning a final build to quash the last bug (Can't delete/move/copy files that Kodi makes). Dynaflash have also forked the quartz skin and improving it a bit, so I will include that. And maybe improve the installer where you could use the remote to install for hard coded 1080p HDMI, 720p and other resolutions HDMI, component 1080p60, component 1080i60, component 720p60, Composite NTSC 60hz and  Composite PAL 50HZ.
Hi Soli

will try as suggested - i have some time time to tinker with this

will report back shortly with the results - and hopefully a solution :-)

regards
(2018-01-18, 18:12)Whitey9457 Wrote: Also, on a side note:

If I install the youtube addon (5.4.13) on this kinos setup, pretty much nothing works. But then I downgraded to 5.4.5 from the xxxxxxx repo (i think) and it works pretty great. 

If I'm using my phone or laptop and I want to send something to my ATV1 (since airplay doesn't really work), I use yatse on my phone and XBMC remote (widget) on my macbook to send youtube links to my ATV1. The ads that normally play at the beginning of a youtube video on my computer or phone won't play on my ATV which is pretty awesome.

I know nothing of that repo, but if it is what I think it is, then you should remove the reference since to that repo since it's against the rules of the forum and the mods will delete your post if they notice,

The youtube addon from the official Kodi repo which is also included in Kinos is at version 5.4.5 as of january 19 2018, at least for Jarvis. I just tried it out on a freshly installed ATV. Works great.
Hi Soli

i spent most of the afternoon tinkering - no luck

1)added the suggested edits:

"and net-device-up IFACE=eth0", "and started networking".

2) as well i did try:

(Kodi will auto restart when quit, and then the network would already be up)

3) found some good suggestion from this link which is the exact issue of a MySQL database loading:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=173267

it references a sleep command - am just not sure where to add it into the script.

look forward to any reply - ideas or suggestions

regards
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Kinos - Kodi Jarvis for Apple TV gen 15