• 1(current)
[Release] Kinos - Kodi Jarvis for Apple TV gen 1
Video 
I made a build of Kodi Jarvis 16.1 with Crystal HD support for the Apple TV. If there are any ATV users left, then this is for you. I've called this "Kinos", it's the word for cinema in some countries. I'm putting this on the OSX part of the forum because of the almost set-top box nature of this build, but if any moderators disagree then feel free to move it to the Linux subforum.

The base for this little experiment was CB, since this was easiest way of getting Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installed. But I removed everything except the settings app. What was left was the Ubuntu core itself. There is no trace of CB left, so do *not* bother asking for support from the people behind CB. Why 12.04 you might ask? I guess I wondered if 12.04 would run Kodi a little better than 14.04 (which I have installed on another ATV). The answer to that is that it doesn't.. but still I ended up polishing it up quite a bit since the two other alternatives for ATV users have some slight performance issues, and figured someone else might have use for it. If I find some time, and if there is any interest, I might even repackage a Kodi standalone build based on Ubuntu 14.04 with a newer kernel. It runs a little bit better.

INSTALLATION:

Note: This only supports installing to the internal hard drive. No, I won't add support for installing to an USB stick.
Note 2: You do this on your own responsibility
Note 3: Be aware that Windows 10 as of version 1709 by default does not support SMBv1, meaning that you can't see or access the Kinos Samba share. You can however add SMBv1 support (only need to enable client support to access the share on Kinos, but you can add server support to if you use your Windows PC as a NAS) through "Turn Windows features on or off". SMBv1 *is* a security concern so don't come complaining to me if Wannacry takes over your PC. 

Download this zip file and unzip it:
--Removed look to Kinos 2--

Clone the image file to a USB stick using of the following tools (or your own method):
DD (Linux/Mac), Win32DiskImager (Windows), applepi-baker (Mac)

Insert the stick into the USB port at the back of the Apple TV, and connect the Apple TV to power. Within 5 Minutes you'll be running Kodi Jarvis.

Have fun, and if you really like it and want to paypal me a beer or two, you can do so at [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes

1)
SSH User: Password is atv:atv.

2)
Quartz is the default skin and runs the best (but Confluence is included of course). Aeon Nox Redux from the Kodi repo also works great. And even Lucid works pretty OK: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256302
All these skins also work great when using a library, so you don't have to limit yourself to browse/file mode. I haven't tried all skins, but for the most part Confluence, Aeon Nox Redux and Quartz are those I would recommend. You should also be careful and not install a lot of addons that run in the background as services, although a couple these will be fine.

The Quartz skin is a little buggy, so the shelf won't auto populate when you add a new library. You have to reload the skin, which is easily accomplished by simply quitting Kodi. Kodi will automatically respawn in a few seconds.

Thanks to TPX01 for keeping the Quartz skin alive for Jarvis. (and of course Pecinko who is the original author) Also thanks to dynaflash for thoroughly testing this build and verifying that everything works as intended.

I hope the few bugs in the skin will eventually be resolved. If you need to update the skin in the future, you need to ssh in, then:
# cd /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.quartz.jarvis
# sudo git pull

3)
Some addons are preinstalled:
Quartz skin (obviously)
Bestofyoutube
Subscene subtitles
Opensubtitles
Opensubtitles by opensubtiles.org
Universal Scraper (and requisites)
Settings addon where you can turn off/on Samba/SSH/etc.
Plus all the normal screensavers, pvr addons, and visualizers are included. It is more or less 100% feature complete in this regard. It should also work with the Pulse8 CEC adapter, but I haven't tried that. (is anyone at all using that adapter with the ATV?)

Also the following programs are included and can be enabled/disabled from the Kinos app within Kodi:

Transmission 2.92 Port:9091
Various skins are also included, located in ~/.local/share/transmission  - rename/copy the one you want to use to "web" for transmission to pick up. (some of the skins has the actual interface in a "src" subfolder). The skins can be updated by simply cd into the folder and typing "git pull". Transmission will use the default skin if there's no "web" folder.

Minimserver 0.8.4 (The best uPnP server for music, and is about 1 million times better than using Kodi) Port:9790 (but has to manually be downloaded, look at [email protected] for instructions)

TVHeadend 4.2 Server Port:9981

4)
It has been optimized for modern HDTVs that are at least 1080p and can handle 23.976/24/50/50.94/60hz. EDID detection has been disabled and modelines hardcoded instead. This gives us a very accurate 23.976hz modeline. Also, the GUI defaults to 60hz and sound output defaults to HDMI. 

If you happen to have a a 720p display or want to use EDID detection you need to ssh in rename "xorg.conf.edid" to "xorg.conf". If your HDTV supports 1080p but does not support 23.976/24hz, then you can also just edit the original xorg.conf and comment out the offending modelines.

If you happen to use the component outputs then ssh in and rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf.component to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot.

You'll also see a file named xorg.conf.hdmi.1080p.hardcoded - this is identical to the default xorg.conf (so you don't need to backup the default xorg.conf).

5)
It has been set up to auto refreshrate with a 2 second pause. This works fine, even with non-recompressed BD rips, and with the custom 23.976hz rate, it's also buttery smooth. (it will probably throw up a little hiccup for a split second when the subtitles kick in for the first time)

6)
A couple of patches were taken from OE or OSMC: Most notably is that changing hostname in Kodi will also change the hostname of the OS (you need to reboot for Samba to pick up the changes, unless you ssh in and restart samba manually), and likewise with regional settings.

7)
Possible tweaks: Only 1 that I can think of, installing a small SSD through an IDE/MSATA adapter from Ebay. That will make the ATV much faster when it needs to do some disk trashing.

CHD'15 vs CHD'12: The 15 is recommended, but the '12 should work pretty ok too. It gets a little more jerky when starting playback. And you might have to hit pause and then play to for the picture to sync with the sound. YMMV.

A note on the '12: I have 2 different '12 cards, one working fine and the other working less good (everything over 720p is jerky). The back side of the one working fine is "clean", whereas the one working less good has a chip on it like this https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...L1000_.jpg . That might just be a coincidence and one of my cards might be defective, so make of it what you will.

The ATVs running with 160GB are a little faster since the bigger HD drive is faster, but the the ATVs with 40GB drive should still be fine.

8)
This comes with NO guaranteed support whatsoever for any reason. I may or may not answer any questions. That said, it should be very stable and I honestly can't imagine anyone having any trouble with it. It is what it is: a last ditch effort of getting Kodi Jarvis onto the ATV, so do not expect any updates to either Krypton or anything else.

19.Aug.2017. New release, just a few additions:
Disabled DRC for AC3. (So it behaves like DTS/TrueHD/DTSHD)
Fixed hosts file
Added apt-transport-https (not really needed but doesn't hurt)
Updated TVHeadend client (prolly doesn't matter tho)
Added TVHeadend server. Disabled by default. You must enable it from the Kinos settings app. I believe you create the admin user on first time using the webgui. If not then the admin login is kodi/kodi.

23.Oct.2017
Added libnss-myhostname - a fallback mechanism so you don't have to update etc/hosts if you change the hostname (changing the Kodi name in the settings will also change the hostname of the OS and therefore also Samba name).
Changed default subtitle color from white to light gray. Just easier on the eyes.

05.Nov.2017
Patched udisks (exfat/force).
The shared "System" folder now has symlinks to .local .config and .kodi (turn on hidden files to see them, at least from Windows)
Added Transmission - disabled by default - enable it from the settings app. Port 9091
Added ~Downloads folder and made it a shared folder, and Transmission to use it by default for download location.
Added various skins for Transmission.
Removed the useless "disable firewall" setting from the settings app.
Added a minimal Oracle Java 7 runtime.

Added Minimserver - a very good "music only" upnp server. The licence doesn't allow distribution - you have to manually download/install:
#cd /usr/local/bin/
#sudo wget http://jminim.com/brac/MinimServer-0.8.4...x86.tar.gz
#sudo tar xvf MinimServer-0.8.4-linux-x86.tar.gz
#sudo chown -R atv:atv minimserver
#sudo rm MinimServer-0.8.4-linux-x86.tar.gz
Now you can enable the service from the Kinos app. If you want to share music from an USB connected disk, remember they are mounted at /media/*.
The download link will probably break in the future. In that case head over to minimserver.com and download the latest release for Linux X86.

10.May.2018
Quartz skin has been improved by Dynaflash, a few more options and general improvements - including skip steps, pvr support, and a new darker mode that IMHO looks better than the default.
Add a xorg.conf for component output, the default is 1080i/60. Should be self-explanatory to change this to 720p. To use this, ssh in and rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf.component to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
If the default xorg.conf isn't working for you, then you need to ssh in and rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hdmi.edid to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You'll also see a file named xorg.conf.hdmi.1080p.hardcoded - this is identical to the default xorg.conf (so you don't need to backup the default xorg.conf).
Kodi now runs as "atv" user, which means you can easily access the kodi system files files through Samba. (remember to turn on hidden files from Windows/OSX to see hidden .local .config and .kodi folders)
Please note that Windows 10 1709 and onwards no longer support SMBv1 be default. You will need to reenable this to see and access the Kinos Samba shares.
I have deja-vu. Good luck Soli Smile
Having used this on 4 atv1's for the better part of a month in various configurations network wise I can definitely say this is the highest performance atv1 xbmc/kodi setup I have used (and I think I've used them all) going back to when davilla wrote the original CHD drivers (chewitt your OE version was close but used more ram)

As far as I can tell Soli must have stripped Precise down to a "flying gas can" as my ram use rarely if ever goes above 50% in testing (crucial when restricted to a ridiculous 256 mb).

Thanks a ton Soli, makes the atv1 relevant again for those of us with them lying around, runs Jarvis like a champ!
Thanks guys. It's certainly a good choice if you "just want to run Kodi" and don't care about the underlying OS. It's been over 10 years since the ATV was released, and (a very usable) Jarvis is the end of the road for our not-so-little-anymore friend. If you ask me, I'd say that's a pretty good run Smile
So this is where all the 'ol School ATV / CHD / Linux guys hang out ! Wink

Nice stripped down release here Soli - yes very nice way to send off the the ATV1 with a highly optimised version of Kodi Jarvis. Smile
I'm actually running this release from a IDE/MSATA > SSD

I cannot remember H264 1080i Live TV working before either with the CHD Hardware decoding.
I can crash Kodi by changing 1080i TV channels tho.

All good for H264 BDRips, especially for those that still need S/PDIF output.

Didn't know h264 1080i would play at all in the first placeTongue Are you using TVHeadend or something else for live tv?
Yes TvHeadend for PVR 576i mpeg2 & 1080i h264 viewing.

chd-h264 produces 1080i Half Motion deinterlacing - good enough for everything but sport with footballs being kicked around. Half Motion results in small footy snail trails.

576i ff-mpeg2 & Bob (full motion deinterlacing) produce watchable results. You can also use Deinterlace-half (YADIF). The 1GHz Pentium CPU does not quite have the Ponies to use full motion Deinterlace (YADIF2X).

Ok cool. I have no experience with live tv, but here's the latest tvheadend for Jarvis with some backports. Have no idea if it fixes anything but changelog says something about potential crash in channel tuning prediction.
*removed because it's already included in latest release*
Just installed on my 160GB unit (I have 2). Works well (first time couldn't install, I think that USB stick might have some problem in the flashing / writing part, not related).

I want to try to install TVheadend, downloaded the .deb file from above. I can log into the box via SSH. I have the file on a USB stick. How should I install it? (Also tried apt-get and it didn't work).

Thanks for the surprised release. I just happened to have googled this as I don't follow this sub-forum (I was waiting on the LE side and there wasn't a new release, although 6.01 works very well for me also.)

I am thinking of using this and a Hauppauge ATSC USB tuner to make this a PVR, 160GB ought to be enough ( paraphrasing Bill Gates famous tag line, lol).
You're welcome

TVHeadend client for Kodi is already preinstalled but you need to enable it within Kodi. That deb is just a newer version with a few fixes. I don't think it matters tbh, but I can't say for sure since I don't use TVHeadend.

The TVHeadend server is not preinstalled, only the Kodi TVHeadend Client. It's up to you to install the TVHeadend server.

https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend...Repository

Edit: TVHeadend is now preinstalled.
Thank you Soli (and Chewitt of course also).

I recommend this thread to be a sticky, but how do we request that to the mods?

Many many thanks again!

I have many devices running Kodi or SPMC, but I still don't want to junk my 2 x ATV1 160 boxes just because.
I seem to have some problem trying to get TVH server on it:

sudo: unable to resolve host Kinos

apt , apt-get and apt-add-repository don't' seem to be available

How should I proceed? Thanks!
There's no reason apt isn't available, it's an essential ubuntu component:
This should get you TVH installed:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61
echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/tvheadend/deb precise release-4.2" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tvheadend.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tvheadend
Thanks for your reply.

The first line for running apt-key gave me the same error as I posted on my previous message:
sudo: unable to resolve host Kinos

I traced it to the /etc/hosts having crystalbuntu in 127.0.1.1 , but it should be changed to Kinos . I edited the file that and this error is gone.

For the sudo apt-get update, I got the following:
The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.

Checking via : ls -l /usr/lib/apt/methods/ , shows that https indeed missing in the files there.

Don't know how to proceed further, I edited the tvh source list above from https to http but it didn't seem to help.
Oh.. I'll have a look..maybe this week if I have the time... Maybe one of the sources have changed to using https..

try
wget http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m...0_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i apt-transport-https_0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10_i386.deb

That should get you up and running.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Kinos - Kodi Jarvis for Apple TV gen 15