• 3(current)
Apple TV news
I'm at work sshing to hack on it now, but I'm at the point where the command line isn't going to help me anymore. ;] When I get home from work today, I'll finish the install and see what happens.

Are you referring to the time it takes to boot while the drive is back in the ATV or while in the normal PC?
When in the atv (internal ata). I am gathering info about the boot to logo time.
Installer crashes when Configuring mythtv. I am using advanced setup, front end only. Gonna try both front and back end and see what happen. I really dont care about mythtv, I'm not going to use it. ;]

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 212, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 207, in main
    install(args[0])
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 65, in install
    ret = wizard.run()
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/mythbuntu_ui.py", line 252, in run
    self.progress_loop()
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/mythbuntu_ui.py", line 330, in progress_loop
    (ret, realtb))
RuntimeError: Install failed with exit code 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/ubiquity/mythbuntu_install.py", line 288, in <module>
    install.run()
  File "/usr/share/ubiquity/mythbuntu_install.py", line 100, in run
    self.configure_mythbuntu()
  File "/usr/share/ubiquity/mythbuntu_install.py", line 179, in configure_mythbuntu
    raise InstallStepError("MythbuntuApply Debconf Xfer failed with code %d" % ret)
InstallStepError: MythbuntuApply Debconf Xfer failed with code 255
Frontend assumes the existence of an existing mythtv backend so that might be what happened.

If you don't want MythBuntu, you can always install from the standard Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy LiveCD. It's very similar and does not have the mythtv dependencies.
I have three builds to do tonight, two for the AppleTV (MythBuntu and Standard 7.10 Gutsy) and one to rebuild my main mythbackend that I messed up two nights ago. The standard AppleTV gutsy build is a base for building XBMC. From the other posts, svn looks pretty stable.
I'm not worried about it, install when through just fine this time. I can just prune out what I don't want, but I'll continue using what ever environment you are, for ease of comparison.

Ok, boots, takes about 30-45 seconds of hard drive clicking for tux to show up. I never see what ever other logo you are referring to.

Not all of the scrolling boot messages fit on the screen. ;] Gets to a point that I assume is a login prompt or something.

Once it has booted, how are you accessing it?
Once MythBuntu comes up, you should see a normal X11 type desktop, there's a menu entry that can bring up a terminal window. sshd is alive so you should also be able to ssh into it.

say more about what you are seeing. sounds like it's not fully booting.
I have a USB hub with mouse and keyboard for development work.
it must not be, X never loads, thats for sure.

since I was unable to get it to turn off, I pulled the plug.

and now its flashing a atv and a ? and then back to a tux, while the led in the front is flashing two colors.
which tux, upper left corner or tux riding the atv?

long boot time (30 to 60 seconds) to tux riding the atv is solved. It's an easy fix. I'll have a write up and download file on the wiki in a few hours.
does not start loading linux at all, flashes between atv/? and tux riding the atv. thought it was sitting there doing it indefinately, but I will leave it on and see how long it goes. worked first time, after that this is what has happened.

i also tried reinstalling it from standard ubuntu this time, but it didnt ask me about my video card or about IR.
to clarify, it started doing the flashing ? and riding tux thing before I tried installing it using standard ubuntu instead of mythbuntu.
The standard Ubuntu install does not ask about video but you can the nvidia binary. It's part of the restricted driver modules. I about an hour behind you. Can't find my Ubuntu 7.10 desktop CD so have to download another (37min remaining). Since I assume (being is the XBMC for Linux) that you really want to get XBMC for Linux working. In that case I would install the Ubuntu 7.10 desktop. It is much closer to the XBMC dev environment than MythBuntu.

If you see the riding tux, then efi firmware found boot.efi and it found com.apple.Boot.plist. The riding tux logo is loaded from there. But boot.efi is not happy about something so it abort the boot and goes looking for another boot disk. Need to see why boot.efi is not happy so have to turn off the riding tux logo so we can see the boot output (verbose mode).

To turn on verbose mode, edit com.apple.Boot.plist on the Recovery partition and add "-v" to the "Kernel Flags". So "Kernel Flags" should be "-v atv-boot=auto video=vesafb"

Then watch for the error message.
sort of hard to read as it's repeating and flashing, but this is what I think it says:

boot file path:\boot.efi
.Looking for kernel cache file 'System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kernelcaches\kernelcache.A417E5EA'
Loading 'mach.kernel'...
......Error allocating 0x206 pages at 0xb008000 alloc type 2
Error loading kernel 'mach.kernel' (0x80000009)
check the recovery partition for "/System/Library/Extensions/KernelMemoryAccess.kext", the kext must be present.

if present, then just re-copy the contents of recovery.tar.gz into recovery and osboot. Make sure it has a mach_kernel. An early release of recovery.tar.gz did not have mach_kernel inside. The atv-bootloader site now has a direct download link so you don't have to pull from svn.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV news1