Req AC3 transcoding for HDMI
Is there any chance to make AC3 transcoding to work with HDMI audio?
I need it because Sony AVRs have this thing that whenever they detect PCM signal, whether it's stereo or other channel layout, they disable Dolby PLIIx which I would like to stay on all the time. Enabling it constantly back is infuriating. I wish Kodi would be able to send audio in Dolby Digital format through hdmi for all stereo and PCM audio sources including the GUI sounds.
Set Number of channels to 2.0 and you'll have access to the AC3 transcoding option.
Dolby format should be possible via Audio DSP, which one day will be added back to KODI.
(2017-05-01, 13:08)jjd-uk Wrote: Set Number of channels to 2.0 and you'll have access to the AC3 transcoding option.

I have audio set to 2.0 and transcoding is enabled. But my amp is showing PCM 2.0 whenever I play gui sounds or a movie with stereo audio. My TV is outputting DD through ARC and it's properly displayed on my AMP and the PLIIx is not resetting.

I tried to get rid of PCM modes using Custom Resolution Utility systemwide, but PCM is still playing. Don't know what to do.
(2017-05-01, 13:25)HeresJohnny Wrote: Dolby format should be possible via Audio DSP, which one day will be added back to KODI.

Added back? Does it mean it was possible to output stereo as DD over HDMI before?
only multichannel audio will be transcoded to DD. We don't transcode stereo to DD atm and there is also no hidden/advanced setting to do so atm.

Re ADSP: ADSP has been temporarily removed because it was basically broken and needed a technical redesign. It's currently WIP and with luck it will be back in v18
You can configure this in the Sony receiver. RTFM.
(2017-05-01, 23:35)Soli Wrote: You can configure this in the Sony receiver. RTFM.

Don't RTMF me. You can not. It's a bug in the whole STR-DN series' firmware which makes the Sound Field to reset from ProLogic to Stereo whenever AVR receives PCM signal. Sony has no intention fixing it, I messaged and called them already.
(2017-05-01, 23:07)da-anda Wrote: only multichannel audio will be transcoded to DD. We don't transcode stereo to DD atm and there is also no hidden/advanced setting to do so atm.

Re ADSP: ADSP has been temporarily removed because it was basically broken and needed a technical redesign. It's currently WIP and with luck it will be back in v18

I do not see any reason why Kodi couldn't encode stereo as DD. My TV has an option to send the audio signal through ARC as DD and my amp has no isues with it and keeps using ProLogic IIx.
(2017-05-02, 00:05)oomek Wrote: I do not see any reason why Kodi couldn't encode stereo as DD.

When you say KODI, you mean add-on. When you say 'any reason' you mean manpower and programming skills.
(2017-05-02, 01:02)HeresJohnny Wrote:
(2017-05-02, 00:05)oomek Wrote: I do not see any reason why Kodi couldn't encode stereo as DD.

When you say KODI, you mean add-on. When you say 'any reason' you mean manpower and programming skills.

Fair enough. You've made your point Smile
I need to find some workaround for this then, if there is any of course.
(2017-05-02, 00:03)oomek Wrote:
(2017-05-01, 23:35)Soli Wrote: You can configure this in the Sony receiver. RTFM.

Don't RTMF me. You can not. It's a bug in the whole STR-DN series' firmware which makes the Sound Field to reset from ProLogic to Stereo whenever AVR receives PCM signal. Sony has no intention fixing it, I messaged and called them already.
I only rtfm when I suspect some rtfm needs to be done.. well, google haven't heard about your problem so I'm still not sure.. But let's say there is a bug. If i was in your shoes I'd get my money back from the store, simple as that. That bug is a deal breaker.

I'm curious what TV do you have? Since the TV has built-in transcoding to DD, can't you use it as a HDMI switch and ARC for sound?
(2017-05-01, 13:25)HeresJohnny Wrote: Dolby format should be possible via Audio DSP, which one day will be added back to KODI.

That is wrong. AudioDSP can only process the float format and does no format conversion to AC3.

EDIT:
Sorry jjd-uk I quoted the wrong post.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3 transcoding for HDMI0