Linux No audio on 7th gen Intel NUC
I have a 7th-gen Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNB), running Fedora 25, with Kodi 17.1 installed from RPMFusion. It is connected to an AV receiver via HDMI. I cannot get any audio from Kodi. I can get stereo audio from a regular command line (cannot at this time get surround sound working though). Kodi is running directly from lightdm, no desktop environment involved.

The only audio device options in Kodi are "Default, Default Output Device (PULSEAUDIO)" and "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo, Headphones (PULSEAUDIO)". When I select the Default option and then go look at the ~kodi/.config/pulse/*-default-sink, it has selected the alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo device, even though I have put "set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.hdmi-surround71" in /etc/pulse/default.pa. I tried changing the ~kodi/.config/pulse/*-default-sink file, but Kodi appears to reselect the analog-stereo device on restart.

Suggestions?

kodi.log with debug enabled
Could you please, just for a test, start Kodi from command line and start it like:

Code:
AE_SINK=alsa kodi

and see if you get audio then?
Post pactl list sinks please
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Using ALSA does work, including pass-through.

Here's pactl list sinks:

Code:
Sink #0
        State: SUSPENDED
        Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.hdmi-surround71
        Description: Built-in Audio Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI)
        Driver: module-alsa-card.c
        Sample Specification: s16le 8ch 48000Hz
        Channel Map: front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe,side-left,side-right
        Owner Module: 6
        Mute: no
        Volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   rear-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   rear-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-center: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   lfe: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   side-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   side-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
                balance 0.00
        Base Volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
        Monitor Source: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.hdmi-surround71.monitor
        Latency: 0 usec, configured 0 usec
        Flags: HARDWARE DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY
        Properties:
                alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
                device.api = "alsa"
                device.class = "sound"
                alsa.class = "generic"
                alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
                alsa.name = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.id = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
                alsa.device = "3"
                alsa.card = "0"
                alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH"
                alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xdc340000 irq 137"
                alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
                device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1f.3"
                sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0"
                device.bus = "pci"
                device.vendor.id = "8086"
                device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
                device.product.id = "9d71"
                device.form_factor = "internal"
                device.string = "hdmi:0"
                device.buffering.buffer_size = "1536000"
                device.buffering.fragment_size = "768000"
                device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
                device.profile.name = "hdmi-surround71"
                device.profile.description = "Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI)"
                device.description = "Built-in Audio Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI)"
                alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC283"
                alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0283,80862068,00100003 HDA:8086280b,80860101,00100000"
                module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
                device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
        Ports:
                hdmi-output-0: HDMI / DisplayPort (priority: 5900, available)
        Active Port: hdmi-output-0
        Formats:
                pcm
And now kodi's Debug Log when starting kodi directly after this command, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Debug log with ALSA forced

I'm selecting device 3 to get sound (the VSX is the AV receiver model)
You need to decide: You want audio via pulseaudio or via alsa?

Quote: PIO VSX-1019AH on HDMI #0

Most likely only makes a sound in combination with intel if you force samplerate to 48 khz. But that's a totally different issue.
Audio via ALSA appears to be working fine, so I can use that. It is a one-time annoyance to force it externally to Kodi (and I wasn't aware of how to do that prior to this thread). It would seem like a bug in Kodi and/or Pulseaudio that it can't work that way (or that Kodi doesn't offer an option to force ALSA in the GUI).
If you want audio via alsa I would purge pulseaudio completely. IIRC pulseaudio can't HD-audio passthrough (only DD and DTS should be possible).

Not sure if it's the same for Fedora, but under Ubuntu there are some <packagename>.desktop files and those can be edited to give specific parameters to the program you want to start. Maybe by editing those files and let Kodi always start with "AE_SINK=alsa kodi" while prevent removing pulseaudio.

Maybe @fritsch has a better idea.
(2017-05-07, 21:16)cmadams Wrote: Audio via ALSA appears to be working fine, so I can use that. It is a one-time annoyance to force it externally to Kodi (and I wasn't aware of how to do that prior to this thread). It would seem like a bug in Kodi and/or Pulseaudio that it can't work that way (or that Kodi doesn't offer an option to force ALSA in the GUI).

Why not just read the wiki before philosophing about bugs: http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio#FAQ

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio on 7th gen Intel NUC0