Req Browse by Letter
It's been a while since this has been brought up, so I thought I'd suggest it once more seeing as there have now been other media centers (emby) and even some Kodi skins (ftvmod by Sualfred) that have successfully implemented it. In my opinion, there is even a perfect place to have the link. In the picture below you can see the "Title" link circled in red. This would be a great place to have it because I feel that link is redundant since you can click on "Movies" on the left column and it will take you to the same place.

The second picture is the "browse by letter" implementation by Emby on the Android TV. Each row is a separate letter and you can simply navigate down to move on to the next row of letters.

This is already available on a per skin base... Skin helper.service allows the skin creator to implement this if they wish...

Edit... A letter jump or if on keyboard u can press shift and the letter of choice.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
(2017-05-09, 13:17)smitchell6879 Wrote: This is already available on a per skin base... Skin helper.service allows the skin creator to implement this if they wish...

Edit... A letter jump or if on keyboard u can press shift and the letter of choice.

Yes, I know it is available on a per skin basis, which is why I pointed out FTVmod skin as an example. In the past, I also used my Harmony remote with the number keys re-mapped as SMS keys to do just that. However, with the move to AndroidTV boxes it seems that the push has been towards minimalism. Less powerful hardware, less noise, less buttons. And since I now use my Shield remote, my availability of buttons has shrunk drastically.

My suggestion was to have the view baked into the official Kodi without the need for additional addons such as the skin.helper,service. It's not even the view that is absolutely essential, but rather the ability to browse by letter without adding additional keys to a remote or addons to the program.
You can use Nodes for this already Smile

I also submitted a PR to mainline but it was sadly rejected.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7518

You can still do it manually by copying those XML nodes to your local Kodi installtion. It works on Music and Video with any skin.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Browse by Letter1