Localized Strings for Home.xml
Howdy, new to skin customization.  Wanted to start with something simple, modifying the home menu.  Fairly straightforward, moved the items to the order I wanted, and decided I wanted to modify the labels.  Did my research and found it was in the <label></label> callout.  For the default Estuary skin that comes with kodi 18.5, it uses a string $LOCALIZE[####].  I again did my research to find where the string is specified.  I was pointed to the strings.po in the language folders of the addons\skin.estuary\language\...  I looked in multiple locations could not find where the following strings live: 
Favourites: $LOCALIZE[10134]
TV: $LOCALIZE[19020]
TV Shows: $LOCALIZE[20343]
Movies: $LOCALIZE[342]

I know I can change the label in the home.xml file, but I want to change it everywhere the string is called.  Was hoping to change to the following based on my use of Kodi:

Favourites -> Favorites
TV -> Live TV
TV Shows -> Library TV Shows
Movies -> Library Movies

Thanks ahead of time!
addons/resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po  Try looking in there.  Those are the Kodi internal strings definitions, so if it isn't in the skins language strings, it should be in there.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-01-25, 20:33)black_eagle Wrote: addons/resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po  Try looking in there.  Those are the Kodi internal strings definitions, so if it isn't in the skins language strings, it should be in there.

Appreciate the help.  As I said in my original post, searched all the languages strings.po.  Nothing.  I've also searched every xml file in the xml folder.  Wish it was simple.
(2020-01-25, 21:38)r.updike Wrote:
(2020-01-25, 20:33)black_eagle Wrote: addons/resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po  Try looking in there.  Those are the Kodi internal strings definitions, so if it isn't in the skins language strings, it should be in there.

Appreciate the help.  As I said in my original post, searched all the languages strings.po.  Nothing.  I've also searched every xml file in the xml folder.  Wish it was simple. 
There are two addon folders.  One is the user addon folder that lives somewhere the user is generally going to go (like ~/.kodi/userdata/addons on a Linux box).  There is another that is bundled with the application.  For instance, on a Mac it's actually bundled into the application file, so you have to show the application package to see it.  And on Windows it's somewhere like C:\Program Files\Kodi\addons.  You need to find the addon folder that's bundled with the application.  I opened up the strings.po file black_eagle mentioned from the folder packaged with the app, and the string number 19020 is definitely in there.
you do not need to use them i just type in the name
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=350044

<item>
<label>type your name</label>

you will also need to to change the String.IsEqual(Container names that are just text
<control type="group" id="4000"> <visible>String.IsEqual(Container(9000).ListItem.Property(id),pictures)</visible> <include content="Visible_Right_Delayed"> <param name="id" value="pictures"/> </include>
(2020-01-25, 22:35)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-01-25, 21:38)r.updike Wrote:

There are two addon folders.  One is the user addon folder that lives somewhere the user is generally going to go (like ~/.kodi/userdata/addons on a Linux box).  There is another that is bundled with the application.  For instance, on a Mac it's actually bundled into the application file, so you have to show the application package to see it.  And on Windows it's somewhere like C:\Program Files\Kodi\addons.  You need to find the addon folder that's bundled with the application.  I opened up the strings.po file black_eagle mentioned from the folder packaged with the app, and the string number 19020 is definitely in there. 
Using Windows 10, been searching both the Program Files\Kodi\ and the user\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\ locations for anything with 19020 in it.  Any chance you can copy the section for me to see so I can replicate.  I'm assuming I can add it into my file and update it.
For example, I have:
msgctxt "#31001"
msgid "Search..."
msgstr "Search..."
As mentioned before, what you are looking for will be in the application install folder which in the case of the windows desktop exe version will be C:\Program Files\Kodi\addons. the in there will be /resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po as shown on our code repo https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...s.po#L9193

Simple guide is anything in range 31000 thru 31999 will be in the skin strings.po anything below 30000 will be in the core application translation strings.po file linked above.

But failing that then yes you can just add what you want to a new id number at the end of the skin strings.po file.

For on language files see https://kodi.wiki/view/Language_support
(2020-01-26, 02:38)jjd-uk Wrote: As mentioned before, what you are looking for will be in the application install folder which in the case of the windows desktop exe version will be C:\Program Files\Kodi\addons. the in there will be /resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po as shown on our code repo https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...s.po#L9193

Simple guide is anything in range 31000 thru 31999 will be in the skin strings.po anything below 30000 will be in the core application translation strings.po file linked above.

But failing that then yes you can just add what you want to a new id number at the end of the skin strings.po file.

For on language files see https://kodi.wiki/view/Language_support
Thank you!  I ended up copying the file you linked to above into the resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po and was able to change the strings successfully
@black_eagle @jjd-uk Your help is greatly appreciated, at last I pierced the veil of language strings! (Before, I input all desired customizations per hand in <label></label>.)

Problem remains, if I edit (as I must) the strings.so file in $XBMC/addons/resource.language.en_gb directly, I shall end up losing all customizations at the next system (in LibreELEC, program in Linux, Windows & Mac) update. Copying the whole directory with the customized strings.po file to $HOME/userdata/addons didn't solve the problem.
Perhaps copy language addon to $HOME/userdata/addons and give a new name

Then edit the addon.xml to match

Then you need to enable addon

and finally select it as the language

Then to keep it up to date you need a diff tool, for example Diffmerge see https://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/#

Hopefully the picturres suffice to show what's needed as I don't have a lot of time today to go into any more detail.
Oh they are very instructive, no need for you to explain anything beyond them. Thank you very much for your help, I shall put it to test.
It works. I shall put the strings.po to a same-name folder under userdata/addon_data.
Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Localized Strings for Home.xml0