Import-Export wiki page rewrite
@scott967
@Powerhouse

I have just overhauled the wiki page for Import/Export. Would appreciate any feed back

http://kodi.wiki/view/Import-Export_library
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Video database needs to be more specific.

Does it backup...
1. Movies - Yes
2. TV Shows - Yes
3. Personal Videos - Unknown
4. Music Videos - NO

Export video Library Screen Needs some work, to make it easier to determine what the choices actually do.

"Export to Separate Files" needs to be said in a different way. It should say "Export to Existing Individual Media Folders" or "Export to Individual Library Folders".

"Export to Single File" is actually kinda wrong (as in the description it says it will save a single xml file, but all the artwork will be saved in multiple sub-directories). It should say "Export to a New Location" because this is exactly what it is doing (and asking you to create said location).

For Music, you would have to bring in DaveBlake, to verify that Kodi is working correctly if you Export or Import your Music library (I've never done it, so can't comment on it).
Quote:Video database needs to be more specific.

Does it backup...
1. Movies - Yes
2. TV Shows - Yes
3. Personal Videos - Unknown
4. Music Videos - NO
Agreed. And thanks for the prompt on Music Videos. Completely ommitted that category. (I have it disabled on my systems). Was not aware that it did not work for Music Videos. You have confirmed this?

I won't use the term "backup", as it is only one possible use of the export.

Quote:Export video Library Screen Needs some work, to make it easier to determine what the choices actually do.
Can you elaborate. Do you mean the wiki page, or the actual Kodi Settings screen needs some work by the developers?

Quote:"Export to Separate Files" needs to be said in a different way. It should say "Export to Existing Individual Media Folders" or "Export to Individual Library Folders".
I can adjust it to something like...
"This option will export the metadata stored in the database and save it into a nfo file alongside the movie/tv show file in the existing individual movie/tv show directoriy". or similar.

I'll also look at inserting a definition of metadata for the noobs.

Quote:"Export to Single File" is actually kinda wrong (as in the description it says it will save a single xml file, but all the artwork will be saved in multiple sub-directories). It should say "Export to a New Location" because this is exactly what it is doing (and asking you to create said location).
I thought the use of the word "Export" implied that, but I can incorporate your wording to avoid any misunderstanding.

Quote:For Music, you would have to bring in DaveBlake, to verify that Kodi is working correctly if you Export or Import your Music library (I've never done it, so can't comment on it).
I pinged him yesterday, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for the feedback powerhouse. I won't make any changes for a few days, just in case there are any other suggestions.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
split and moved to Wiki sub-forum.
My Signature
Just spotted this thread. Thanks for working on this @Karellen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Import-Export wiki page rewrite0