Hardware Question - New to Oz looking for Kodi box with TV capability & Pause
Hello all,

Just recently moved to Oz so new to the market and the Tv setup. Anyway, I am looking to add a Kodi box with a dual TV tuner ideally that can record one channel and stream another channel with a 'Pause' live channel option.

Kodi will be streaming from a NAS hosting my MySql database, the box could be either Android or Linux but a stable company offering regular update as Kodi must be the latest one.

Any advice would be welcome

Many thanks,
- Rule 1 for High Quality - reliable Kodi Krypton TV streaming and deinterlacing - stay away from Android
- Rule 2 for High Quality - reliable Kodi Krypton TV streaming and deinterlacing - stay away from Android !

You have three options:

a) Run a backend TV server of some type - like TvHeadend on a NAS or backend Linux / LibreELEC server hooked into a Home network
b) Run the TV server and viewing client all on the one box
c) Go the expensive route and get a HDHomeRun and run https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/ & pay an annual subscription.

If it's DIY, then an old DVB-T PS3 PlayTV Dual Tuner is good value.

Be aware if you want foolproof Timeshifting and Pausing of LiveTV you really should be getting a dedicated standalone PVR and not relying on DIY solutions. The Fetch TV PVR's are what you should be looking at, they also come with a really user friendly, simple remote.

Thanks for your reply.

I currently have a Wetek Hub and was debating with the idea to install LibreElec (being using linux on my desktop for 10y+) but haven't found the time yet.

On a separate question, would you advise it? And can I install it on an SD card without having to choice on every boot? Also, using the Hub to watch motogp.com racing and the picture is ever so slightly laggy - would running LibreElec improve the speed/quality of the streaming video?

Back on the original topic, I was looking at the Wetek Play 2 to achieve the above (I know it's not a 'proper' dual tv tuner) but I can compromise. Any thoughts?

Thanks, again for your prompt reply.
You have the WeTek Hub S905 - equiptment already for a good Dual Tuner setup.

All you need is:
a) the PS3 PlayTV Dual Tuner mentioned above, EBGames in Oz has some for $24 or Ebay, Gumtree...
b) the S905 - @kszaq LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - media build from HERE
c) a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 U1 micro SDHC card.
d) an Hard drive if you want to record - ext Linux formatted. 3.5" externally powered preferred.

Advice is to go the dual tuner setup right out of the gate - it's much more flexible and worth it in the long run.

Either setup a dirt cheap AMLogic S905 - seperate - Networked media build server box or do it on the one LibreELEC S905 device.
I recommend the two box option, as you can use the viewing TV client box for what you want.

Even an old RPi1 / RPi2 will do for the Networked TvHeadend server - you don't need much grunt to run the server at all for DVB streaming use.

Thanks for your reply but the hub will be used in the bedroom and I am looking at a completely different setup for the living room.

The question to run LibreElec on the hub was on a separate note and honestly I would be leaning toward installing it on the internal memory - not having to buy an SD card and also speed of use.

What about the Wetek play?
The setup above will be superior to the WeTek Play or Play2 if you use your already existing Hub and PS3 PlayTV as a server.

LibreELEC even with a TvHeadend server does no need much RAM to run. Its lean and mean. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Question - New to Oz looking for Kodi box with TV capability & Pause0