Tv Box.. Too much option!
Wink 
Hi!

I had my tv box setup about a year ago. I own a PI 3 which i did the setup myself kodi + emulation on it. And im loving it so much!! Smile

Now im looking for a cheap tv box for my kids room. The only thing I need to be working on there is Kodi + few add ons. I've started to look around some site.. there's way to much choice. I dont want to invest to much on that tv box if possible below 50$. I've read that Rockchip seems to be problematic and anlogic too. So what are my option to have a cheap way to stream on my kids tv? I've read a few thread in here but most of the model noted seems to be with extra feature I dont need. I dont need special audio.. 4k or whatever.. heck most of the time they will be streaming animated stuff and my kids doesn't really notice the quality difference lol Wink

Can anyone help me to look in a specific direction please?

Thanks a lot!

wolfien-
Hello wolfien,

There is an excellent thread written by @wrxtasy here... http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

It is constantly updated and current. The first post gives a number of options for what you are looking for. At your indicated price level, any will work for your stated purpose.

Hope that helps.
@wolfien,

I would get the most simple budget box for Kids to use in your case.
That being a $60ish Xiaomi Mi Box running Android TV.

Excellent WiFi, and a really nice Kick Ass Voice Remote the kids might have fun with.
Android TV is dead simple to use, it's well child's play.

It will be better than all the other cheap Android Rubbish on the market for your use.

See post #1 of the Mi Box thread for places selling them.
Also lightinthebox.com website sells Em cheap.

If you are happy with the pi, and familiar with it, why not get another?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank for your advice and like! its really appreciated!

@nickr I dont get Another one because I think its a "waste" of money for the usage my kids will do with it. For only streaming some anymated series/movie It will be way too much.

I will be looking at this post with so much information and choose a "cheap" tv box in there.

But just for my own information... Whats really wrong with theses "chinese" RK chipset? I know they are not supported officially but can it work? I saw some really cheap tv box at like 20$ on some site.
Who knows how it will work - we simply do not know - same with all cheap old Hardware. If you are a gambling man go for it.
I would still stay away from Rockchip period - especially if you are thinking of using Kodi on it - there are Sharks in that direction and Snake Oil salesmen.

It's why we are recommending devices that we know work fairly well, and are reliable.

Having professional experience with chinese manufacturers, There is a lot that can go wrong with "cheap boxes". What you're paying for is QC (Quality Control), Proper manufacturing techniques and technicians and Software/Licensing support. All of which you won't get from a cheap box! This doesn't reflect on all manufactures, only the ones that purposely cut corners to produce a cheap product.

IMO, My Top list starting with budget would be:

Raspberry Pi 3 - (No official support, community driven)
MiBox
Nvidia Shield.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Exactly.

The overarching worry for any Parent is - will the device overheat and is it Safe ?

I can guarantee a properly engineered Xiaomi Mi Box will be far safer on probabilities than some cheap clone Chinese Android Box.

How much do you want to spend for peace off mind, $60 is not much ?

(2017-05-12, 21:09)wrxtasy Wrote: Exactly.

The overarching worry for any Parent is - will the device overheat and is it Safe ?

I can guarantee a properly engineered Xiaomi Mi Box will be far safer on probabilities than some cheap clone Chinese Android Box.

How much do you want to spend for peace off mind, $60 is not much ?

Seriously, 60 bucks is a steal for what you get from a Mibox! Really shocked ppl are looking for cheaper out of the box products!
No seriously 60$ isnt that much. Its a pretty good price for a box that will be w/o trouble Smile

My question about theses chinese box was just bu curiosity I would never buy anything that cheap for my kids.

@wrxtasy thats the main reason why I wont get cheap stuff for my kids. I want them to be safe Smile I dont want that box to over heat and burn down in the middle of the night or something Smile

Anyways I think I'ill go with Xiaomi Mi Box It seems to be the best choice for something simple and pretty cheap Smile

Thanks a lot again!! Smile
And amazon fire tv2? That is not an option?
(2017-05-12, 23:42)discovery Wrote: And amazon fire tv2? That is not an option?

IMO unless your at home ecosystem is amazon, ie. Echo... Dot, Prime Music/Video... it's not an option. Features limited 4k support compared with MiBox.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tv Box.. Too much option!0