Shaky video
I've been using Kodi on Linux for several years with no problems. But I recently got a new laptop, and now I'm getting juddery video. Not all the time, but for a few seconds every minute or so, and it's very annoying. Ther GPU is generally running at about 80% during playback, but I never looked at it on previous machines, so I don't know if that's a problem. I've played around with the VDPAU and VAAPI settings, but I'm not sure what I'm doing, and I've not seen any improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try? Thanks.

Kubuntu 17.04
8-core Intel I7-770 CPU @ 3.6GHz
8GB RAM
3840×2160 screen
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU (Gallium 0.4)
OpenGL 3.0 Mesa 17.0.3
You are using some fairly powerful components, so your system running at 80% certainly indicates some issues.

Can you do the following...
1. Provide details of videos you are playing- are they high bitrate 4k? or other?
2. Are your video files local/network share/internet?
3. What are your settings for "Adjust display refresh rate" and "Sync playback to display"
4. Provide a debug log using basic method. (check my signature). Enable debugging, restart Kodi, then play your movie with the stuttering. Let it play a few minutes then upload.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
1) For the most part 720p / 1080i TV rips. about 1GB for a 40 minute show. I have the same problem with SD videos, though.
2) Local, on an HD.
3) Adjust Display Refresh Rate: Always / Sync Playback to Display: Off.
4) Logfile

It looks like the frame rate drops from 15-20 fps to 4-5fps when it's stuttering.

Thanks for the help.
Can you paste your logfile to a pastebin site...

1. locate the file named kodi.log
  2. Open the file with Notepad and copy all the contents of the document
  3. Locate a Pastebin type site. Two examples are https://pastebin.com/ or https://paste.ubuntu.com/
  4. Paste the contents of the kodi.log file
  5. Press Paste or Generate
  6. When the screen refreshes with your paste, copy the entire address in the address bar and paste it into a new message in your thread
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Sure, sorry; I didn't realise there would be a problem with Dropbox.
Logfile on Pastebin
Quote:20:52:45.594 T:139969279701184 NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
20:52:45.594 T:139969279701184 NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 256 bits)
20:52:45.594 T:139969279701184 NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 3.0 Mesa 17.0.3
20:52:45.594 T:139969279701184 NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 1.30

Install proper GPU drivers, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
How should I do that?

I downloaded This driver from nVidia, but it failed to install with the following error:
Quote:Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 367.27.
-> Running distribution scripts
executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'...
-> done.
-> The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Abort installation)

Then I added ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa to my repository and installed nvidia-381, but then no new windows (file manager, konsole, anything) could be opened until I uninstalled it.

Any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]
There is no need to download external drivers, just install the proper ubuntu package provided by the distribution: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binary...wto/Nvidia
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Installing nvidia-375 from the distro package also means that new windows windows will not open.
Then you have a problem that is totally not related to kodi I fear. You sadly have to ask on ubuntuforums / ubuntu support channels, so that you get help with our operating system.
OK, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shaky video0