Skewed Home Screen Movie Posters
Hi,

Has anyone else experienced skewed movie posters on the home screen? It may have been fixed, as I'm running a nightly of 17.2 RC1 that is a few builds behind. But of course it is just a tiny tiny bit more laborious to update iOS than it is on my Mac or Android TV, so I figured I'd check here first. Smile

Thanks!

Alex
Image 1, above, lookin' totally normal to everyone?
No the first pic definitely looks wrong, like it's resizing fanart to poster ratio.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes, what @nickr said.

Look at the movie "3 Idiots" in your photos. Two different posters.

In the first image, is the poster displayed there for "3 Idiots" actually the Fanart/Backdrop for the movie?

How did you add the posters to your movies? Normal internet scrape, or have you created nfo's and supplied your own artwork?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Sometimes I'll refresh and let Kodi do a scrape (with default scrapers) if I want more artwork etc, but other than that it's info populated via Tiny Media Manager, which works great in every other environment.

Everything looks fantastic on my Android TV (Nvidia Shield), Intel NUC (LibreELEC, Windows 10 Pro), and Mac Mini (macOS) installations.

The main ones I use are the Shield and LibreELEC, but I was wanting to play with the iOS version. Really, that's the only flaw I've found - but it's unfortunately quite literally front and center.
Yes I use TMM as well. I must admit that after the update to v17, a few of my movies suffered that as well. Same with the Box Sets view.

It was a simple fix though. Just highlight the movie, call up the movie information page, select Choose Art. I found that the ones I had problems with had the "Thumbnail" as an entry. Just change the "Thumbnail" art from the Fanart to the Poster.

If you check your other movies that are not affected, you will find there is no Thumbnail entry, for some reason.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You're right - two different images; I just looked more closely: Again keeping in mind these are tMM standard files (as far as size and naming that would be important): In Screenshot 1 above it's squishing thumb.jpg (1000x562 or 1.78:1 A/R) into a poster. In Screenshot 2 it's using the standard poster.jpg (500x750 or 1[width]:1.5[height] A/R) correctly.
I have never really seen the point of TMM and similar programs. I name my files, Kodi scrapes metadata and art work. Maybe if I was more anal particular about my artwork I'd try something like TMM. However most of mine looks pretty good IMHO.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yep that's it.

I don't know why it happened, and why some movies have that thumbnail entry and others don't, especially when it is all the standard artwork. Just one of those glitches I suppose.
My Signature
(2017-05-21, 06:28)Karellen Wrote: Yes I use TMM as well. I must admit that after the update to v17, a few of my movies suffered that as well. Same with the Box Sets view.

It was a simple fix though. Just highlight the movie, call up the movie information page, select Choose Art. I found that the ones I had problems with had the "Thumbnail" as an entry. Just change the "Thumbnail" art from the Fanart to the Poster.

If you check your other movies that are not affected, you will find there is no Thumbnail entry, for some reason.

You're right. There is a single item in Screenshot 1 that is not skewed, because it is using poster.jpg. It is "The Age of Shadows" which does not have thumb.jpg from tMM. So it clearly defaulted back to poster.jpg.

Since "thumb.jpg" must have, at some point, been agreed upon to generally be ~1.78:1 as tMM has them, shouldn't Kodi be using poster.jpg on that screen in Estouchy by default (or have a different design for that screen?) If they just haven't gotten to it yet, I apologize.

I have 234 items that I'd theoretically have to change the image on to have everything always appear right on that screen otherwise.
(2017-05-21, 06:38)nickr Wrote: I have never really seen the point of TMM and similar programs. I name my files, Kodi scrapes metadata and art work. Maybe if I was more anal particular about my artwork I'd try something like TMM. However most of mine looks pretty good IMHO.

I understand your point totally. It's not about the scraping - in fact sometimes I think I should just have Kodi do the scraping - I like tMM for a desktop software type management view of my library.
I never looked into it too deeply when it happened to me. This was a few months ago when v17 was released and you are the first post I have seen that has also had this issue.

I wonder why the Thumbnail is needed. Maybe you could test on a couple of movies- Delete the thumbnail picture file from the directory and refresh that individual movie. See if it fixes it and nothing else is affected.

If it does, you could then search "thumbnail.jpg" in your file browser and just delete them all. Then refresh the library. Better than manually changing 234 items.

I understand the use of Thumbnails for TV Show episodes, but not sure why they are needed for movies.
My Signature
But @nickr is correct.

TMM is not really needed. I use it for home movies. And I also use it for adjusting TV Shows. For example, I have Battlestar Galactica (1978) and Galactica 1980. To me, these should be Seasons 1 & 2 of the same show. Not two separate TV shows as listed by TVDB, TMDB and IMDB. So I used TMM to scrape all the metadata for the two shows, then adjust the nfo files and directory structure so that Galactica 1980 becomes Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica (1978)
My Signature
(2017-05-21, 06:47)Karellen Wrote: I never looked into it too deeply when it happened to me. This was a few months ago when v17 was released and you are the first post I have seen that has also had this issue.

I wonder why the Thumbnail is needed. Maybe you could test on a couple of movies- Delete the thumbnail picture file from the directory and refresh that individual movie. See if it fixes it and nothing else is affected.

If it does, you could then search "thumbnail.jpg" in your file browser and just delete them all. Then refresh the library. Better than manually changing 234 items.

I understand the use of Thumbnails for TV Show episodes, but not sure why they are needed for movies.

Good point about TV shows - and Music Videos as well. Yeah I mean in the actual tMM interface, it shows poster.jpg in the top left, and fanart.jpg as the main background image, so I guess thumb.jpg could be there for certain Kodi views, or something else entirely.

I use the Wall view in most cirumstances, like in Screenshot 2, which doesn't seem to use a thumb.jpg, UNLESS that's what is being displayed in the background as you cursor over an item, though I think that's fanart.jpg.
(2017-05-21, 06:53)Karellen Wrote: But @nickr is correct.

TMM is not really needed. I use it for home movies. And I also use it for adjusting TV Shows. For example, I have Battlestar Galactica (1978) and Galactica 1980. To me, these should be Seasons 1 & 2 of the same show. Not two separate TV shows as listed by TVDB, TMDB and IMDB. So I used TMM to scrape all the metadata for the two shows, then adjust the nfo files and directory structure so that Galactica 1980 becomes Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Makes sense - sometimes it just HAS to be done manually. I've decided that around the house, I want to bring back a little MTV style, so I've really been diving into Music Videos (though there often is no music video for many tracks I listen to.). Finding the Kodi scrapers inadequate, I've been forced to move onto adjusting NFO files manually. Unfortunately that's all completely hand-done, as there is no Music Video functionality within tMM.

But I again wonder - why is Estouchy defaulting to thumb.jpg rather than poster.jpg on that screen. There is an underlying fail here, no doubt. (OR, there's a place to make this adjustment that I'm not aware of.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skewed Home Screen Movie Posters0