HEVC 4k stuttering
Hey guys, bit puzzling, but I’ve downloaded some files in 4k and for the first time (I’ve been playing a large number of 4k files with no issues) I’ve had stuttering issues. I’ve got an i5-4460,16 gb DDR3 and a GTX 980 so clearly not a lack of power.

I’ve had a look at the codec and it’s HEVC. Done a bit of Googling, seems to be a problem a few people have had. If I play the file in Kodi I get stuttering. In VLC there's stuttering, as well as that weird grey wash over everything then back to stuttering.

I've verified the issue isn't the files by playing the directly through the PC.

Any ideas?
GTX 980 -> no hardware acceleration for HEVC

i5-4460 -> not enough horsepower to deal with software decoding if the bitrate of your HEVC file is too high
Moanbag is in da place!
I will make the assumption you are downloading h.265, high frame rate video files.

The issue here is the hardware. Your equipment is 2014 era, while h.265 equipment was still in its infancy. H.265 capable hardware has only become available in the mainstream in the last 12 months apprx. In summary, you don't have the correct hardware to handle HEVC h.265 3840x2160 at 60fps video files.

I have the same processor as you, but no video card. I cannot smoothly play 4k video either. It is just a stuttering fest all the way through. But this is because our chip does not have HEVC hardware acceleration built into the chip, which is required for smooth 4k playback.

Your GTX980 does not provide for full HEVC h.265 hardware decoding either. It has HDMI 2.0, and it can handle h.264 3840x2160 at 60fps, but not the h.265 files. It uses hybrid decoding, which will still not give smooth playback, but will do a lot better than the i5-4460

See here... http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidi...0-review/5
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the response guys!

Any sense in converting the video to a different format?
You'd save money[1] by buying a s905/s905x android box and putting libreelec on it.

[1] as against paying for the electric power to do all the file conversion, plus it'll take hours!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I disagree with everything in this thread except that, indeed, KODI will NOT play 4K HEVC / H.265 without stuttering. This is not a hardware issue though as other players will play it like for example, Potplayer
http://potplayer.daum.net/

I'm sure that in time KODI will eventually handle this format.
(2017-12-29, 00:17)kikito1 Wrote: I disagree with everything in this thread except that, indeed, KODI will NOT play 4K HEVC / H.265 without stuttering. This is not a hardware issue though as other players will play it like for example, Potplayer

KODI Indeed DOES play HEVC / H.265 without studdering if you have the correct hardware and you have hardware decoding selected in KODI.  (and assuming you have hardware capable of doing it.)
if you need to software decode on windows, due to lack of hardware supporting h265(10bit), make sure to use a 64bit build of kodi.
(2017-12-29, 00:17)kikito1 Wrote: I disagree with everything in this thread except that, indeed, KODI will NOT play 4K HEVC / H.265 without stuttering. This is not a hardware issue though as other players will play it like for example, Potplayer

wow, you're right!

i tried potplayer and it works without any stuttering at all! thanks!

fingers crossed for Kodi getting h.265 working without hardware acceleration soon.
I have a 6th Gen i3, with a GTX 980ti, 16Gb ram, and I can watch 4k movies with Media Player Classic as well, smooth as butter, but also cannot play the same movies on the same rig while playing from Kodi...  Running latest Nightly 64bit. I actually didn't expect this setup to really support 4k, so I was not let down when I couldn't play them from kodi, or Windows Media Center. Media Player Classic has always been my "go-to" when everything else fails... I assume that when I go to the latest gen i7, and a GTX 1080, I should have no issues in Kodi, correct? OR should I use one of my Titan X cards instead?

Thanks!
You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, this is important as Windows 7 may have issues, for a smooth experience in Kodi then in most cases Windows 8 or above is required.
(2018-01-04, 16:05)jjd-uk Wrote: You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, this is important as Windows 7 may have issues, for a smooth experience in Kodi then in most cases Windows 8 or above is required.
 I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks!
(2018-01-04, 20:15)Stealth111 Wrote:
(2018-01-04, 16:05)jjd-uk Wrote: You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, this is important as Windows 7 may have issues, for a smooth experience in Kodi then in most cases Windows 8 or above is required.
 I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks!

Yep, 10-bit Main10 HEVC-files will not be HW-decoded in Kodi running on top of Windows 7, related to D3D11 Feature level 9.x compared to FL11.x in Windows 8->   

(Edited to fix quoting, nickr)
(2017-12-29, 10:43)wsnipex Wrote: if you need to software decode on windows, due to lack of hardware supporting h265(10bit), make sure to use a 64bit build of kodi.
 tried 64bit Kodi on Windows 10, still stuttering, not as bad, but still not watchable.

potplayer runs 4k without any issues, so i'll stick to that for the moment.
(2018-01-09, 15:20)dadsickle Wrote:
(2017-12-29, 10:43)wsnipex Wrote: if you need to software decode on windows, due to lack of hardware supporting h265(10bit), make sure to use a 64bit build of kodi.
 tried 64bit Kodi on Windows 10, still stuttering, not as bad, but still not watchable.

potplayer runs 4k without any issues, so i'll stick to that for the moment. 
Yes, it is true that although 64-bit Leia is already/will be more efficient in SW-decoding than 32-bit Kodi, those Windows-specific 64-bit players are typically even more efficient. Not an expert here but might be related to common codebase used for different platforms in Kodi SW-development.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC 4k stuttering0