booting into Library/Artists
is it possible to get my Pi to boot into Music/Library/Artists ?

thanks
More likely a skinning issue I think. Not sure what OS you have on your Pi (LE, OSMC etc.), but pretty sure they all have to go to the home screen.

But your question is a more general really - "how can I start Kodi on something other than the home screen".

Persoanlly my Pi (running LE) is on 24/7, it takes so little power, and the lack of accessible off switch where it is located means it is the easy route.
Im on OSMC and ive built a mobile juke box in a brief case that runs of a 120amp 12v leisure battery, it was up and running last summer but im trying to update it / refine it for this summer

there's quite a variety of people that will use it and some of those are 70+, I found last summer that too many options or controls some people found it a little confusing and i ended up
feeling like i needed to be there to help through the controls,

this year im hoping to get it so anyone can turn it on and use it out of the box so to speak, so in an ideal world it would be great to not only get kodi to boot into Music/Library/Artists but then make it that they cant accidentally navigate away, the lock feature was looking promising for a while but doesn't go far enough,

i haven't had much time to spend on it yet so not sure what else can be done, but if i can get my mum to use it with out any problems i'll know ive cracked it Smile
which skin are you using?
(2017-05-24, 12:20)DaVu Wrote: which skin are you using?

its Transparency mate

i was thinking about it today maybe as an easier and better way than booting into Music/Library/Artists is to bind a key to Music/Library/Artists to create a short cut

so if possible i could have a button which would be enter/select, a scroll wheel to navigate up and down and a home which would be the shortcut to Music/Library/Artists, so there would be no back button meaning no one could navigate away from the Artists menu,

does that should like it would work?
I'm not in front of my machine just now, but isn't there a "Startup Window" setting you can configure in the Skin Settings, as per the old Confluence screenshots on the Wiki http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Appearance
@bricktop

it's possible via autoexec.py. I'll be out soon. So I don't have the time to show you an example this morning. But maybe later in the evening if you might be a bit patient Wink
@ Fergus there is but dosent go as far as letting me boot into my Library.

yeah that looks great DaVu but coding= way over my head i'll wait patiently Big Grin
Following on from DaVu's post...
Try this:

Make a new text file somewhere.
Put the following in it:
Quote:import xbmc

xbmc.executebuiltin('ActivateWindow(Music, musicdb://artists/ )')
Rename the file (including the .txt extension) to 'autoexec.py'.
Stick the file in your userdata folder
Start kodi

With that file in place you should boot into Music/Library/Artists.
What you do after that depends on how the jukebox is controlled - touch? Remote? Keyboard?
thanks troggy yes thats worked a treat it now boots into Artists

at the moment its controlled by a modified keyboard, i kept the controller part of the keyboard ditched the rest and wired in some buttons to the pins, i think i gave myself about 8 keys to play
with, just need to figure out the best way to use them, i have a wireless logitech media controller connected as well in case i need it.
If you're using a keyboard I'd think about mapping home / exit / escape (if you're using any of them, I'd guess you'll have one) to 'music / artists' (as you said) but also mapping back (edit: thinking about it not just back - you could map all 8 keys) on the home screen to 'music / artists' - that way if someone backs out too far they just have to keep pressing.
Otherwise I'm not sure how you'd manage to navigate without a 'back' button.
at the moment i dont think a back button is necessary

now im booting into Artist the user would use up and down to chose the artist same to chose the album then select song or songs, then a key to go back to home, being 'music / artists'

so the user shouldn't be able to navigate anywhere else, the only downside i can see at the moment for this is if you wanted to put another song on by the same artist but in a different album,

but that shouldn't be to bad as when you go back to the 'home' the last artist should still be highlighted.

keys

home, up and down (possibly looking into a scroll wheel from a mouse), select

then maybe a shut down key, a key to go to current playlist and pause and play (toggle maybe?)

that would make 8
Thx @trogggy for completing it Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
booting into Library/Artists0