Technical reasons for Estuary?
(2017-06-04, 03:45)natethomas Wrote: Rooting and running cyanogenmod doesn't in any way change how difficult it is to sideload on those platforms.
You genuinely don't understand what I was trying to say? - It wasn't a narrow point about sideloading - I thought the 'I hadn't noticed much of a difference' was a bit of a giveaway there. Oh well.
I was having a narrow discussion about sideloading with Gobberwart that you quoted. My assumption was that you were continuing that conversation, otherwise why would you quote me discussing it?
(2017-06-03, 20:35)natethomas Wrote: Or let me put it another way. Side loading is an unpleasant and not user friendly activity by definition. It should not be needed. Making it easier doesn't solve the underlying issue that it isn't user friendly in the first place. The better solution is for the addon to be in the official repo. If it isn't, and there's no obvious reason for it not to be, then you would be better served asking the addon author to submit it, rather than asking us to make an unpleasant experience less unpleasant.
I completely understand the reasoning. It would be awesome if all legit addons were in the official repo. But they're not, so it remains complicated and offputting for new users and that is something that could be significantly improved very easily. IF the devs want to.

I'm honestly not fussed now that I'm used to it, just offering feedback based on my own experience.
It's interesting you think use of File Manager is needed as part of the process of adding a repo, I've always downloaded the repo zip file then used the add zip functionality in the Add-on manager to add any 3rd party repo, the zip files are hosted on a nas so every client has easy access.
Using the file manager is typically how pirate repos/addons are installed.
Yes, that is interesting, I always wondered why they implement it in such a way? It is easier to download a zip and run it then type a long URL to make a source and then go to addons and install a zip....
(2017-06-04, 11:17)jjd-uk Wrote: It's interesting you think use of File Manager is needed as part of the process of adding a repo, I've always downloaded the repo zip file then used the add zip functionality in the Add-on manager to add any 3rd party repo, the zip files are hosted on a nas so every client has easy access.
In order to install from a zip file located on a nas, you still need to add the location of the nas to kodi using file manager.
(2017-06-04, 12:33)Hitcher Wrote: Using the file manager is typically how pirate repos/addons are installed.
Uh huh, so if it's something pirates do, then anyone who does it is a pirate?

Breathing is also something pirates typically do. So what?
(2017-06-04, 23:37)Gobberwart Wrote:
(2017-06-04, 11:17)jjd-uk Wrote: It's interesting you think use of File Manager is needed as part of the process of adding a repo, I've always downloaded the repo zip file then used the add zip functionality in the Add-on manager to add any 3rd party repo, the zip files are hosted on a nas so every client has easy access.
In order to install from a zip file located on a nas, you still need to add the location of the nas to kodi using file manager.

I am not sure about NAS, but I download my zip files to my windows Downloads folder. My Downloads folder is not a Source in Kodi. I can easily access them there via "Install via Zip file" in add-ons. Just did it with the new PlutoTV addon
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-06-04, 23:46)Karellen Wrote: I am not sure about NAS, but I download my zip files to my windows Downloads folder. My Downloads folder is not a Source in Kodi. I can easily access them there via "Install via Zip file" in add-ons. Just did it with the new PlutoTV addon

Correct, if you download the zip locally then the source should already be there. I was referring specifically to jjd-uk's example.

However, downloading locally to a dedicated HTPC running in a headless configuration is not particular simple. It's not rocket surgery, true, but also not particularly new user friendly.

Note that I am not wanting this for me. I'm fine with it now I'm used to it. I'm thinking purely of the new user, and how they perceive kodi.
New users shouldn't even be bothered with installing zip files to start with.
So no it it will not be changed how it currently is. If you really need it then you should first need educate yourself first starting to install random stuff. Now let's end this pointless discussion cause you're not gonna win this.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-06-04, 23:37)Gobberwart Wrote: In order to install from a zip file located on a nas, you still need to add the location of the nas to kodi using file manager.

But you don't actually type in a URL to a website.

(2017-06-04, 23:39)Gobberwart Wrote:
(2017-06-04, 12:33)Hitcher Wrote: Using the file manager is typically how pirate repos/addons are installed.
Uh huh, so if it's something pirates do, then anyone who does it is a pirate?

Breathing is also something pirates typically do. So what?

Did I say that?
(2017-06-04, 23:56)Martijn Wrote: New users shouldn't even be bothered with installing zip files to start with.
So no it it will not be changed how it currently is. If you really need it then you should first need educate yourself first starting to install random stuff. Now let's end this pointless discussion cause you're not gonna win this.
Done [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
(2017-06-04, 23:37)Gobberwart Wrote:

No you don't.

Select Install from zip then select smb or nfs then browse to nas share and finally select zip.
(2017-06-05, 04:03)jjd-uk Wrote: No you don't.

Select Install from zip then select smb or nfs then browse to nas share and finally select zip.

Well that's... Very cool. Thank you for showing me something I didn't know before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Technical reasons for Estuary?0