New Kodi snap package for testing >= Ubuntu 16.04
Cool, awesome work so far!

Unfortunately didn't work for me:

Code:
lutostag@doe:~$ snap install kodi --edge
kodi (edge) 18.0-alpha1 from 'wsnipex' installed
lutostag@doe:~$ kodi
cannot change profile for the next exec call: No such file or directory
lutostag@doe:~$ for PERM in alsa avahi-observe hardware-observe locale-control mount-observe network-observe removable-media shutdown system-observe; do sudo snap connect kodi:${PERM}; done
[sudo] password for lutostag:
lutostag@doe:~$ kodi
lutostag@doe:~$ snap run kodi

Also would love to get this working on pi2/3 after the snap gets a bit more stable!
@seb2411: While kodi can run on Mir, it is a build time option that excludes X11, so a different snap is needed(or multiple binaries). For now I'm focusing on the classic X11 on amd64 platform to get the basics working.
I still wonder where this error comes from though, since we link jsoncpp statically
@uvulag: ubuntu 17.04? I've had this bug as well. It has nothing to do with kodi, but is a snapd issue somewhere. Completely purging and reinstalling snapd as well as the kodi snap seems to have fixed it for me.
(2017-05-31, 21:59)wsnipex Wrote: @uvulag: ubuntu 17.04? I've had this bug as well. It has nothing to do with kodi, but is a snapd issue somewhere. Completely purging and reinstalling snapd as well as the kodi snap seems to have fixed it for me.

I got it on 17.04 with a custom build kernel. Using ubuntu's kernel image made it work for me.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Indeed, custom kernel was the issue. Forgot I was running that...
watch gallery

Sweet! If this stays inline with the repos, I found my bleeding-edge heaven! Smile
Installed some week back on Ubuntu Artful with the Ubuntu Gnome DE. The installation went OK and Kodi started, but there was no picture.
Tried again today after some updates and Kodi worked OK. It worked to connect to Tvheadend on my server and play TV. It also worked to find my media files with browse and to choose Network File System (NFS).
This is with Pulseaudio and IEC958 S/PDIF.
Version: Kodi 18.0-ALPHA1 Git:20170530-82eedia-dirty
Whooops, just saw this. How funny it is to read this after: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269812

Hi there. I just tried this and it seems to work great. Thanks. The only issue I have is there is no icon showing up on the gnome dock. Any fix?
I just tried this, and it did come up, thank you for doing this!

However, according to system information, it's running a build compiled on may 30 2017. Is there something I need to do to get a more recent Kodi build?

I was hoping to be able to use this to test some changes to a pvr addon (trying to learn how the pvr code works...)
general interest in a kodi snap seems way too low to warrant the effort to maintain it.
:-( What level of effort is required to maintain it?
Hey everyone, I joined the forum because I was not able to get an older version of Kodi to work, so I upgraded to the Kodi 17.04 on Ubuntu 17.04 ... Still did not work ... and then I stumbled across this thread and I decided to try it.

It Works!

Any hope to upstream it soon?
Which are the most major issues with it? Is there list of the issues on Github to track or contribute?
Thanks
the biggest issue is that snap doesn't allow us to run threads with higher priority and that many of the file/directory path selection dialogs don't work as usual.
You cannot browse to a path outside of the restricted snap env, but must enter the path (that has to be allowed in the snap) manually.
It doesn't seems to be blocker issues. But maybe I'm wrong, thanks anyway

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Kodi snap package for testing >= Ubuntu 16.042