Win Problem with video playback being always zoomed in
Bug 
When I play movies, the movies are horribly zoomed in, like perhaps 400%. The menus everything else is just fine. When I look at the "video settings" - the setting for zoom is 100% ...

My System setting is Full Screen, 1920 X 1080p. My TV is 4k, however the graphic card is 1080p.

This is a recent ocurrence, Kodi used to work just fine, I did not change anything in the settings, I did not upgrade my Kodi version - 17.RC3. Of course, now, while trying to solve the problem, I have upgraded to 17.3 - that did not solve my problem!

And before you ask, yes, I have tried pressing the "z" key while in the movie. The movie remains zoomed horribly, no matter on what setting is the "z" function.

Please help!
Hello dana_2,

Could you provide a debugging log. Instructions are in my signature below. Use Basic method. Remember to Enable debugging, Restart Kodi, then replicate the problem. Post log at pastebin site and link back here.

1. What is your Graphics card settings? 1920x1080@50/60Hz?
  2. Is the Kodi GUI also set at 1920x1080?
  3. Is Kodi connected directly into a TV or via an AV Receiver? HDMI?
  4. Maybe check your Windows Update page, and see if any automatic updates were installed around the time this started occuring. Same with your graphics drivers.
  5. Have you checked your TV menu system and played with display settings. Some TV's have modes to zoom in/out, stretch etc.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. No, HDMI from graphic card to TV. Used to work just fine before, I did not change anything, and I am getting this
4. Yes, windows obviously updates all the time SmileSmileSmile . Not the graphic drivers though, I have complete control over that. And all other programs work just fine, i.e. VLC, even Kodi menus and start page, the only problem I am having is with zoomed video playback.
5. Yes, my OLED has a zoom mode, it is not enabled, and certainly it is not selective (i.e. would zoom in Kodi video playback, but not in VLC video playback, etc.). When in zoom mode, the entire screen gets zoomed.

Will enable debugging tonight, and will post all of it here.

P.S. Is there a way to reset ALL Kodi settings to initial values, maybe that would help?
(2017-05-29, 14:42)dana_2 Wrote: P.S. Is there a way to reset ALL Kodi settings to initial values, maybe that would help?

Delete guisettings.xml from C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata
Moanbag is in da place!
Resetting the settings, uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting, nothing seems to work.

I have tried versions 16 and 15 as well - those behave the same for me as version 17. Is Kodi writing anywhere else beside "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Kodi"? I.e. is it modifying registry keys?
Hello dana_2,

Many of us are eagerly awaiting your debug log Smile

The only two places Kodi writes to is...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi
and
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Kodi

Yes, Kodi modifies the registry when it is installed.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
And here's my debug log. I glanced over it, I do not see what went wrong, everything seems set at 1080p ...

http://paste.ubuntu.com/24766712/
Let me know if you guys want me to enable/disable stuff, or what to do next.
Is this the only movie that has incorrect playback?

J:\var\lib\transmission\Downloads\The.Great.Hopes.1957.1080p.BluRay.x264\The.Great.Hopes.1957.1080p.BluRay.x264.mkv
My Signature
All of them. This is just a sample. Any resolution whatsoever. 1080p, 720p, SD, etc. I cannot play anything, as everything will be zoomed (enlarged) perhaps 4 times or more - thus allowing me to see only some parts of the actual movie. That is because the image gets enlarged, and cannot fit the actual screen. Not to mention the horrible pixelation.

Again, this only happens with Kodi. VLC plays the movies properly.
Oh, what I also tried was to use the zoom feature of Kodi, in order to shrink the image. What I got as a result was a smaller window on my screen, which was displaying the enlarged movie LOL Thus epic fail.

Perhaps this has something to do with the hardware encoding/decoding? But then again, shouldn't VLC behave the same?
I'm not sure if this will help but I just subscribed to this forum in order to post this. Go into the Player Settings, under the gear icon. Make sure you're in Expert Mode. In the Video (1st option in the list), you'll see a Processing section. Change the Render Method to Software and see if that helps...

Good luck,
Aha, so from H/W to S/W ...
That did not work, BUT, it was a great help to point me to the Video - Processing section.

It is the "Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2" option --> this is causing for me all sorts of problems! Turning it OFF, fix the stuff for me. Thanks a bunch Sergio1!
Good.
I couldn't find the specific option you mentioned "Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2" in my setup. I suppose that it is hardware specific and it gets created when Kodi is installed or run. But anyway, now at least it's possible to narrow the problem field to "Hardware related".
It does surprise me that you can't find the "Render method" under the System Settings/Video section. After all, if it's a player settings, shouldn't the resolution and the HDMI settings all be available there tooHuh Maybe someone can explain to me why we find a "Video" option in the Player settings rather than find ALL VIDEO SETTINGS under the same roof.
Cheers,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with video playback being always zoomed in0