• 9(current)
WIP RetroPlayer UI Design | UI/UX Disussion | Help Needed
(2017-08-12, 21:33)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: if we now got id="11" this is gr8!

The great thing about core is I get to choose the IDs Smile

I've got your idea tested and working. I'll push the update to the RP.
:thumb: cool!
(2017-08-12, 19:06)garbear Wrote: Here's what it looks like with DialogSelect:

This is before I add the thumbs list. How do I hide literally every control in this skin file? Add a <visible> condition to every control? What about the DialogBackgruondCommons include, how can this not be included? If I use exactly 0% of the existing dialog, why would I even use the dialog and not create a new one?

By adding a window ID we (skins) can use to check that this is actually shader select just like songinformation for DialogMusicInfo.

So in DialogBackgroundCommons add a visible condition like this -

Code:
<visible>!Window.IsVisible(shaderselectdialog)</visible>
(2017-05-29, 03:08)Vel0cityX Wrote: Introduction

Bit of an introduction:
I'm the Google Summer of Code student that will be developing shader support for RetroPlayer this summer, along with garbear which will mostly be doing the GUI work for it.

Current UI

Here's RetroPlayer's current state:

As you can see, there are several parts of it that are unneccesary and some are more prevalent than needed.
Also, a lot of the things we need in there aren't present in the OSD.

UI Goals
(from here)

We need to have these options somewhere:
  • Save State
  • Load State
  • Load Savegame
  • Exit Game
  • Change Shader
  • Reset Game
  • Enable/disable Cheats
  • Netplay Settings
  • Controller Assignment (?)

Shader System

Description

Our plan is make use of the libretro shader system, to make use of the vast number of shaders and shader presets already developed for it.

This system is largerly based on these shader presets, or .cgp files.

Each one of this files specifies a certain amount of passes, and scaling/filtering parameters for each pass.

For example, a shader preset for the Game Boy might have different passes for dot-matrix, color conversion and ghosting effects.

(more detailed info on the spec itself here)

Challenges

RetroArch implements this spec and offers a UI for changing these parameters.

We will need to adapt this UI, to a 10-foot UI for Kodi.

We're currently trying to figure out how the Shaders OSD will work.
We were thinking about having two windows, a
  • Shader Browser: Used for selecting a .cgp file and a
  • Shader Editor: Used for adding/removing passes and maybe changing scaling/filtering parameters

Any feedback?

About the shader OSD, we either need to hash this 2-window idea out, or maybe brainstorm other ways of handling shader presets.
Ideas about the RetroPlayer's overall UI also welcome.

Please check it for ui ux design problem. I am sure it will be sort out.
https://github.com/garbear/xbmc-retroplayer
Here's the current status of the OSD

When you pause the game:

The Settings screen:

The Video Filter screen:

Video filters are AWESOME! But there's some bugs...

Added a description field:

Is this using the bookmark dialog?
No, it's using a file included by DialogSelect.xml
I'm planning on adding a "Volume" button to the OSD settings using DialogSlider.xml. The main point is to list the hotkey in the button's label2 or another control, so the user can access Volume control in-game. The hotkey is currently Select + Right Stick. Sound sensible?
Images of the result posted in PR12765
It would be great if the video filter and view mode windows could set ID1 to contain the window names (ID1 is the standard control to set the window name to). For example, see the "header_id" param in DialogSelect.xml.

Also, in the videoplayer pressing M/Menu will bring up the OSD, pressing M/Menu again will hide the OSD. With retroplayer, pressing M/Menu a second time will not hide the OSD, pressing ESC/Exit is needed to close it. For consistency and convenience this should be the same.

Another thing, the images for the various emulators in addon-browser, it would be great if these would adhere to some pseudo standard as currently it's a mixture of pretty much anything. Way back we came to this for add-ons in general, seems logical to use the same for emulators, I would be willing to do a PR for it.
(2017-09-13, 20:36)Jeroen Wrote: It would be great if the video filter and view mode windows could set ID1 to contain the window names (ID1 is the standard control to set the window name to). For example, see the "header_id" param in DialogSelect.xml.

+1

This is essential for dialogs that use different header labels depending on what it's being used for.

EDIT: Using a videowindow to display the various filters really slows things down - can't the filter be applied to a screen grab as an image be used instead?
(2017-09-24, 13:27)Hitcher Wrote:
(2017-09-13, 20:36)Jeroen Wrote: It would be great if the video filter and view mode windows could set ID1 to contain the window names (ID1 is the standard control to set the window name to). For example, see the "header_id" param in DialogSelect.xml.

+1

This is essential for dialogs that use different header labels depending on what it's being used for.

I can make this change.

(2017-09-13, 20:36)Jeroen Wrote: Also, in the videoplayer pressing M/Menu will bring up the OSD, pressing M/Menu again will hide the OSD. With retroplayer, pressing M/Menu a second time will not hide the OSD, pressing ESC/Exit is needed to close it. For consistency and convenience this should be the same.

I'll fix this as well.

(2017-09-13, 20:36)Jeroen Wrote: Another thing, the images for the various emulators in addon-browser, it would be great if these would adhere to some pseudo standard as currently it's a mixture of pretty much anything. Way back we came to this for add-ons in general, seems logical to use the same for emulators, I would be willing to do a PR for it.

Yes, I would love to unify the emulator icons. I've spent a lot of time gathering icons, but I've only covered about 1/3 of emulators. Help on this front would be GREATLY appreciated. We could even switch the emulator selection dialog to show icons!

(2017-09-24, 13:27)Hitcher Wrote: EDIT: Using a videowindow to display the various filters really slows things down - can't the filter be applied to a screen grab as an image be used instead?

The filters are applied to the game's last frame. If you pause the game, no filters are updated. If you unpause the game, the (visible) filters are updated every time there's a new frame. Can you think of a better way to do this?
(2017-09-24, 20:38)garbear Wrote: I can make this change.

(2017-09-24, 20:38)garbear Wrote: I'll fix this as well.
Cheers

(2017-09-24, 20:38)garbear Wrote: Yes, I would love to unify the emulator icons. I've spent a lot of time gathering icons, but I've only covered about 1/3 of emulators. Help on this front would be GREATLY appreciated. We could even switch the emulator selection dialog to show icons!
Allright, I think / suspect not all emulators will have their own official logo and a lot of the ones I checked were pretty low quality. So maybe it's an idea to have a sort of base icon per platform and use a combination of the platform's primary branding color(s) and a picture of the system, and then add the name of the emulator to it.
Anyway, just thinking out loud at the moment, I will look into making a couple of examples and post them here asap.
(2017-09-25, 10:52)Jeroen Wrote: Allright, I think / suspect not all emulators will have their own official logo and a lot of the ones I checked were pretty low quality.

Now you understand the long hours I've spent between scouring the web and photoshopping the hell out of crappy icons Wink

(2017-09-25, 10:52)Jeroen Wrote: So maybe it's an idea to have a sort of base icon per platform and use a combination of the platform's primary branding color(s) and a picture of the system, and then add the name of the emulator to it.
Anyway, just thinking out loud at the moment, I will look into making a couple of examples and post them here asap.

A picture of the system is a good idea and scales much better than icons for each emulator, especially given that most emulators are just source code and aren't marketed with an icon/logo.

I do like the few individual icons we currently have, I feel like it respects the branding that authors have put into their product and adds some individuality to our sea of emulators.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RetroPlayer UI Design | UI/UX Disussion | Help Needed0