Everex gPC Mini - Almost perfect for XBMC?
Question 
Everex announced a new gPC computer:
http://www.techworldspace.com/2008/02/26...-mac-mini/

The specs seems perfect for XBMC. It will definitely run 720p. Need to check about 1080p. Could be that 512MB would even be enough.

Worth considering...

-Yuval
maybe enuff for 720p with a little offloading onto gpu
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Seems very interesting. Will probably never reach sweden though Sad
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
i was just wondering, both the Mac Mini and now this gPC run on a Mobile-CPU Dualcore @ 1,86Ghz..

but as mentioned in the forums a couple of times is that for a steady 1080p playback a 2,6ghz or even better a 3ghz is needed.. so i was wondering is this really a 'perfect' system for XBMC? i mean, is expected that in the future GPU-Based decoding (even on a Graphics Media Accelerator GMA950) would be powerfull enough so a 1,8Ghz DualCore could run HD-Content (1080p)? Both PC's have limited expansion possibility's and no possibility to add a graphicscard or hd-tvtuner.. Maybe not as important but it doesnt contain a HDMI-Out.. so you'd always be dealing with seperate DVI + Audio cables.

By the way... correct me if i'm wrong and playing 1080p is not a criterium of XBMC-Linux.. I know HD is a criterium.. but dont know if 720p of 1080p is meant..

It sure is a nice concept, very small and quiet.. but bit expensive though.. for 300euro its possible to build a e8400 based system.. not as pretty and quiet.. but still.. well i'm just still deciding what to buy and i'm leaning towards starting of with a 300euro system based on e8400 which should be pretty future-proof..

This post is not meant to 'bash' these systems because i think its the beginning of something very nice (small, quiet, relitivaly fast) but still i think they are not yet powerfull enough to be future proof and still lack some important HTPC-Specs..
My TV is only capable of 720p so it would be good for me but it might have to little oomph for 1080p.

I want a quiet one and a small one is a must, otherwise it just doesn't fit in my stereo capinet, Didn't messuare it before I bought it :S

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Razor_109 Wrote:i was wondering is this really a 'perfect' system for XBMC? i mean, is expected that in the future GPU-Based decoding (even on a Graphics Media Accelerator GMA950) would be powerfull enough so a 1,8Ghz DualCore could run HD-Content (1080p)?
No, I think that Yuval was refering to 'perfect for a low-end' machine for 720p playback. Some people only own a 720p capable TV/display while others may think that 720p to 1080p upscaling is good enough, so it could be perfect for those people.

You will note that the Everex gPC has a 1.86GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core Mobile Processor T2130.
While the Mac Mini has a more modern 1.86GHz Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T5500.

Personally I am still hoping that Apple will release a Mac Mini update before the summer.
AOpen MiniPC MP965-DR barabone is another contender
http://minipc.aopen.com/Global/

More expensive but support Inel 45nm Penryn CPU (the latest Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor)
http://minipc.aopen.com/Global/news/20080110.htm
http://minipc.aopen.com/Global/rcl.htm
Or for the DIY. I've been eyeballing these, although they are IMPOSSIBLE to find in sweden :S
Albatron KI690-AM2
And the Silverstone lc-09
Combine that with a reasonable fast AM2 processor and that's quite a machine.

Here's what I wish I'd gone with - an XPC. They have a couple of models capable of handling the 775 (another) and at least one has an overclocked 45nm E8400 running 4Ghz from what I've found reading various forums. We don't need that kind of speed but hey it might be nice to have anywayBig Grin The video would probably have to be disabled and an 8500GT used but these are pretty nice boxes with a fairly small form factor. I have a few of them here that are older models and I really like them - slap them in a carrying case, sling it over your shoulder, and goto someone's house to play games or video on it. Sadly the ones I have are probably not near fast enough for XBMC to run 1080 which is my desired target. <shrug> All added up I paid more than that for my XBMC machine, I kick myself for it too. I may buy one to process video on and I'm pondering a Mini for my small upstairs TV. I too would like to see a refresh done on the Mini, they just bumped the MBP so maybe come next Tuesday we'll get a surpriseWink

Keep the little PC ideas coming, if nothing it's interesting to see what all is ouot there!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Keep the little PC ideas coming, if nothing it's interesting to see what all is ouot there!

+1 for little PC ideas!

Speaking of little ideas, I found a site that sells flash disk modules from 256MB to 8GB. A 2gig IDE model is only about 70 bucks. It looks to be about as big as your thumb (well, my thumb anyway) and plugs right into the IDE slot (SATA is available too). Does this seem like a good way to reduce boot times and eliminate HDD noise and power consumption (assuming you only need a streamer without storage)?

Would 2GB be enough for the OS and XBMC?
majorheadache Wrote:+1 for little PC ideas!

Speaking of little ideas, I found a site that sells flash disk modules from 256MB to 8GB. A 2gig IDE model is only about 70 bucks. It looks to be about as big as your thumb (well, my thumb anyway) and plugs right into the IDE slot (SATA is available too). Does this seem like a good way to reduce boot times and eliminate HDD noise and power consumption (assuming you only need a streamer without storage)?

Would 2GB be enough for the OS and XBMC?
Yeah it should be enough. But to be sure you should remove as many packages as possible Smile openoffice.org-* and gnome-game* and such takes a bit of space, those two take a 250mb I think.

Bah! what I did was buy a WD Passport portable USB drive. Cracked it open, pulled the SATA notebook drive out, and used that - plugs right into standard SATA connectors.

Not quiet enough? Too expensive? Okay fine - head for eBay and get a CF/IDE adapter. Here's one that just ended. These are DIRT cheap, use standard CHEAP C/F, and with a dual device you ought to be able to get a good bit more than 2Gigs on there without a second mortgage. I bought one of the single ones before I knew about the duals but have not yet tested it. IMO if you want low power and quiet this would be an excellent way to go and possibly cheaper than the store found earlier:p

I don't mind spending money but I'll go cheap when I can and these little CF things were kewl enough and cheap enough I bought one a few months ago without even a need. Maybe if we get XBMC cut down enough I'll put it to use!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Why not just net boot?
althekiller Wrote:Why not just net boot?

Can honestly say I've never tried that but might be interested if I could figure it out:o
Thumbs Down 
Stealth Computer's LPC-450 and LPC-450PCI = VERY EXPENSIVE mini PCs
http://www.stealthcomputer.com

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/26/steal...0-mini-pc/
Quote:Stealth Computer's LPC-450 mini PC
Itching for something to match real pretty with your $1,195 Stealth Computer keyboard? If so, the very same company has recently unveiled a miniature PC that costs just marginally more than the 'board itself, but the LPC-450 packs some pretty decent specs into a battle-ready 5.7- x 9.9- x 1.65-inch enclosure. The slightly unattractive case can pack a wide range of Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, up to 1GB of RAM, a DVD writer, between 80GB and 160GB of hard drive space (or an SSD for a serious upcharge), your choice of operating system, Intel's GMA950 integrated graphics set, gigabit Ethernet, and a plethora of ports including audio in / out, VGA out, a trio of USB 2.0 ports, RS232, FireWire, and even a parallel printer port for kickin' it like it's 1995. The case itself is said to be made of "rugged extruded aluminum," and the only fan noise should come from the one keeping the CPU from getting too toasty. Stealth's wee machine can be picked up now for just under $1,400 in the base configuration, but specing it out like you truly desire will push things quite a bit higher.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/26/steal...-pci-card/
Quote:Stealth's rugged LPC-450PCI Little PC makes room for PCI card

If Stealth Computer's LPC-450 was just a bit too diminutive for your tastes, you'll be thrilled to know that the latest flavor has been opened up a bit to make room for a PCI card of your choosing. As was the case with the LPC-350PCI Little PC, this iteration includes PCI expansion slot capability along with a Core 2 Duo processor and an anodized aluminum chassis that could probably be dropped from the rear of a moving truck sans issue. Additionally, you'll find Ethernet, USB (x3), FireWire, PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors, a 160GB hard drive (or an SSD, if you choose) and an optional DVD burner to boot. Seems as if these are made to be customized, so feel free to give Stealth a ring if you're interested in claiming one as your own
Intel 775-socket but WAY TO EXPENSIVE!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Everex gPC Mini - Almost perfect for XBMC?0