Win Kodi started to crash when playing .mkv-files?
Hi!

First time posting so I'm sorry if I don't properly follow the forum rules! :)

I have started to get weird crashes with Kodi when playing video files. Previously Kodi have been rock solid for several years and have played every file I throw at it without issues, now the crashes are frequent but doesn't happen for every file. I have not changed anything in the hardware. I'm running the latest stable version (17.3). I have tried to reinstall Kodi. I have tried the latest nightly version.

Asus VivoPC
Intel Core i3 3217U CPU
Intel HD 4000 GPU
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home

Here are my logs:

kodi.log
https://pastebin.com/h7eG4j8i
Hi!
I use NUC PC and ubuntu, but I had the same problem
I have solved it switch off the following settings:
1) Go to "System -> Settings -> Player -> Videos"
2) in "Processing" section I switched off option "Allow hardware acceleration - VAAPI"
3) after that all mkv files playing without any crashes
Thanks for this post! It might be old but still relevant. 
After an upgrade, my Kodi would not play any video (so it seemed). With debug log turned on, nothing was written to the log - Kodi literally crashed hard.

By accident I clicked on a file which was not mkv and it worked so that led me to the post above which solved my problem.

The hardware I have is not a NUC but rather Gigabyte but it has intel chipset so that would seem to be the issue. 

Your post solved it for me and hopefully this will help someone else by adding some extra keywords.
(2017-06-06, 15:07)trovix Wrote: 2) in "Processing" section I switched off option "Allow hardware acceleration - VAAPI"
(2018-12-29, 11:42)ThorSE Wrote: By accident I clicked on a file which was not mkv and it worked so that led me to the post above which solved my problem.

Not really solving the problem, but merely circumventing it. Which is probably okay for low bitrate h264 videos, but the newer and more complex hevc/265 videos can become a real problem.
Why are we talking about Linux in the windows section/thread?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Ehm.. Only post #2 mentions Linux, the OP mentions Windows, and posts #3 & 4 mentioned no OS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi started to crash when playing .mkv-files?0