• 3(current)
It begins for tvaddons
(2017-06-08, 15:21)DJ_Izumi Wrote: So now with all these add-ons still installed but unmaintained, you know where all the users who 'bought a magic box that promised unlimited free TV' are going to go for help once things start to break down, right? Tongue

Yup, there is a great sub forum for that already. https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
(2017-06-07, 17:21)toineb Wrote: Hopefully a certain slaphead will stop posting videos on youtube too

I have to agree. That guy is a moron and has done no favours to the Kodi community. It'd be a different story if all this was driven underground and people had to perform secret handshakes to get their hands on it but flaunting it by claiming ignorance and educating the masses on how to use it in a public forum is just as bad as the scum to capitalise on the "fully loaded" boxes.

Hell, it was bad enough that he fell for the April Fool's prank about the Kodi shutdown, broadcast it as real news and made no attempt to apologise for disseminating the misinformation as real news!

Absolute twit.
Are we talking about Trump? The fake news thing confused me.
(2017-06-08, 15:21)DJ_Izumi Wrote: So now with all these add-ons still installed but unmaintained, you know where all the users who 'bought a magic box that promised unlimited free TV' are going to go for help once things start to break down, right? Tongue

And they'll be directed to the Piracy Addons linky - no support here fellas.Nod
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
Indeed they are flooding in. #moderatorsneversleep.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-09, 23:33)nickr Wrote: Indeed they are flooding in. #moderatorsneversleep.

That link doesn't tell me how to get a refund on my now broken box from The Kodi Company! You guys sold me this hardware and I expect a full refund after you broke it! Tongue
@DJ_Izumi clearly volunteering for mod duties LOL.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-10, 02:37)nickr Wrote: @DJ_Izumi clearly volunteering for mod duties LOL.

Only on the condition that my canned response to such users gets to have an ironically upbeat tone where I cheerfully congratulate people on having been the victim of a con and we build a Wikipedia page called 'What You We're Told You Were Buying And What Kodi Actually Is: A Guide For Suckers'.

Though, in all seriousness, I do think that the majority of people who bought 'A magic box that promised free TV' are, they're victims of a con. They were told it was a thing, the thing would be X amount of money, but the thing came with a lot of catches and the person who took the money is long gone once the addons start failing for one reason or another. They're really victims who didn't know any better and they hit up Google, which takes them here, it's all official looking (Well, it IS official after all) so this must be the HQ for this 'Kodi' thing that someone bought. Kinda like how Xbox.com is the home page for that Xbox you bought at some store of a different name.

That said, I also get that for the mods, that's a LOT of victims of a con to filter through and trying to calm and educate each one would be a take a lot of effort and every time you successfully got through to one, there'd be three more asking 'WHY DID YOU BREAK MY KODI BOX. FIX IT NOW PLEASE.'

But maybe, just maybe, if Kodi could build a page on the wiki not so much about 'banned addons' but one that acts as an education point to help people like that understand how and why they're in the situation they're in now and how the people here really can't fix the problem for them, it might help things go a bit easier. And if they're told that they're the victims of a con, they might respond a bit less hostilely when they learn that no one here can fix their problem. Smile
@DJ_Izumi volunteering for wiki duties instead Wink

I think that sounds like a good idea. I know most 1 post wonders ignore the rules when they post their questions and this is yet more readingbut if if it exists and can be crawled by google I hope it would be possible to get it high up the google rankings with a bit of manipulation and act as a prewarning.
Something like this? http://kodi.wiki/view/free_content
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Something like that but with more emphasis on the boxes and the 'you've been ripped off go and get the box sellers" and in the style of the Free Movies posts in my signature.

The free content wiki is a bit dry and 'wall of text' for people who watch a YouTube video or reddit for information.
(2017-06-10, 09:55)UsefulG Wrote: Something like that but with more emphasis on the boxes and the 'you've been ripped off go and get the box sellers" and in the style of the Free Movies posts in my signature.

The free content wiki is a bit dry and 'wall of text' for people who watch a YouTube video or reddit for information.

the Free Movies/TV Shows link in your sig should be required reading before users are allow to join, or allowed to post.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Redbox | NEWSnet | NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
(2017-06-10, 09:55)UsefulG Wrote: Something like that but with more emphasis on the boxes and the 'you've been ripped off go and get the box sellers" and in the style of the Free Movies posts in my signature.

Yeah, this, most of those users fall into two groups:

1) Those who didn't even realize it was piracy but saw an add for 'Free TV' through one of those 'New fangled computer boxes' basically and bought it.

2) Those who totally DID know it was piracy, but were told Kodi was 'That Piracy Box Thing' and all the ads promised them an idiot proof piracy machine when in actuality such collections of hardware, software, and addons are basically held together with duct tape and wishful thinking where any abandoned repo, police raid, or DMCA filing could turn it into a brick with a shine menu.

But in the end, aware of piracy or not, they were conned, they were told it'd be one thing and got something else that didn't reveal itself until weeks or months after they paid. Though I also get that it's super frustrating for those devs and community moderators to be constantly dealing with a deluge of people who want you to explain why 'FREETV ULTRA WHATEVER' stopped working or why that link on it for their favorite movie just never works.
Sorry don't buy either of those explanations - they don't pass the "Scratch and Sniff" test ! ;-)

Free this shit Free that shit - any idiot must know in Life nothing comes for "Free"

Those that do not it seems and that includes a LOT of buyers need some hard life lessons, just to re-enforce that message. This is what those Snake Oil Sellers are relying on. The great con of clueless uneducated buyers.

I just tell people straight up these days they have been duped, no point beating around the bush.
Us Mods are past being compassionate and a shoulder to cry on. Sad

(2017-06-12, 15:11)wrxtasy Wrote: Sorry don't buy either of those explanations - they don't pass the "Scratch and Sniff" test ! ;-)

Agreed.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
It begins for tvaddons0