Best HDMI device to run Kodi player that streams MKV files from QNAP NAS
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have the below setup :
1. I have a QNAP NAS with .mkv HDLight and FullHD files (AAC/AC3/DTS audio)
2. I have a TV on which I would like to watch my .mkv files through the HDMI port

I am looking for the cheapest/easiest device with HDMI/Ethernet port and a remote controller on which Kodi can run.
Kodi, will then connect to my NAS (192.168.1.2) and retrieve my video library.

Amongst the following devices, which one would you recommend ?
a. Raspberry Pi
b. Roku
c. Apple TV (2, 3 or 4) ?
d. Chromecast
e. Amazon Fire TV
f. Any else ?

I am not so technical and looking for a simple installation.

Thank you.

Regards,

JC
Recommend you check this out --> https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Probably a good AML905(x) would suit your needs and not cost much. wrxtasy is the guru for hardware though.
Thanks a lot for your answer : there is a lot of choices !!!
b and d don't run kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
After some analysis, I will go with a Xiaomi Mi Box.
Cheap, easy and does what I need : Netflix, Kodi, plex etc ...

Thanks for your answer.

JC
The Mi Box is a good device -- my brother uses one with the SPMC fork to access our shared library.

Do note that it doesn't have a wired Ethernet port though. Wifi only. But if you have decent wifi, you should have no problems watching media from the NAS. We are running 802.11ac wifi at home, and have not experienced any playback problems at all.

Good luck and enjoy!
WiFi may work for you or it may not. If you've ripped your Blu Ray collection as full bitrate, or plan on streaming to more than one device at a time, I wouldn't trust it. I use ethernet only for all of my Kodi boxes.
Thread moved to hardware
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Unless you need the streaming services, LibreElec (Kodi only) on a generic S905(X) device will outperform the Mi Box running Kodi (or a fork of it) on top of Android. You'll also save yourself 33%+
I do this.

Qnap TS-453a/HMDI1-->Enclave AVR/HMDI1-->Enclave AVR/Output-->Vizio TV P50-c1/HDMI1

In your particular case why do you need anything in between your TV and your QNAP NAS. Just run Linux Station on it. Plug wireless mouse and keyboard and use it just like a computer to play to your TV.

I run Linux Station on my QNAP NAS where I have all my movies saved. Using Linux Station I can use whatever Multimedia player i please (Kodi, VLC or Plex et cetera.)

I also run Plex server within Linux Station on the QNAP and GoogleCast to my TV and return audio via HDMI1/ARC back to my Enclave AVR.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best HDMI device to run Kodi player that streams MKV files from QNAP NAS0