Linux Plex user thinking about Kodi ;)
Hi

Long time user of Plex I start to be pretty bored of difficulty to get support, not really new nice features (well at least that don't interest me really), etc so I'm thinking perhaps to switch to Kodi but I have few questions first (I have read the Wiki about starter but didn't find my answers):

-> With Plex I'm used to get a server on which it runs and stores/stream the medias to clients. It looks like Kodi is not a client/server structure right ??

-> Clients can access/play medias from web interface of server or using one of the multiple clients avalaible (I don't see any web interface in Kodi and no easy way to share medias out of LAN like you can do with Plex by sharing servers between users). Did I miss something in Wiki ?

-> Suggestion for Wiki: make a basic comparison of features of Kodi and Plex to help users to better decide no ??

Thanks for help,

Vincèn
(2017-06-07, 16:07)vincen Wrote: -> With Plex I'm used to get a server on which it runs and stores/stream the medias to clients. It looks like Kodi is not a client/server structure right ??

Correct, Kodi is not a server. It is a media player that can play your locally stored media that you own and also through the official Kodi Repository access apps like Youtube for online streaming. Have a read through a few of the links in my sig. Just look out for all the shady illegal banned add-ons that provide content that normally would cost you money, i.e. movies still in the cinemas, HBO, etc... These are not affiliated with Team Kodi and the team has a very firm stance on that garbage.
(2017-06-07, 16:07)vincen Wrote: -> With Plex I'm used to get a server on which it runs and stores/stream the medias to clients. It looks like Kodi is not a client/server structure right ??

I use Emby as my server and Kodi as my client, I personally find that better for my stored media in terms of kodi being a better client in my view that the plex offering and Emby being perfect for my needs to store and stream my media to Kodi
HTPC
PC: Home Built
Processor: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 980 ti
Ram: 16GB DDR4
XBMC: Kodi Jarvis
Skin: Aeon Badnox Beta

(2017-06-07, 17:05)JxPx Wrote: Correct, Kodi is not a server/client. It is a media player that can play your locally stored media that you own and also through the official Kodi Repository access apps like Youtube for online streaming. Have a read through a few of the links in my sig. Just look out for all the shady illegal banned add-ons that provide content that normally would cost you money, i.e. movies still in the cinemas, HBO, etc... These are not affiliated with Team Kodi and the team has a very firm stance on that garbage.
Thanks for clarification so looks like it's definitively not an alternative at Plex for that !!

(2017-06-07, 17:19)toineb Wrote: I use Emby as my server and Kodi as my client, I personally find that better for my stored media in terms of kodi being a better client in my view that the plex offering and Emby being perfect for my needs to store and stream my media to Kodi
Emby looks nice but need to install mono to run it o my Linux server which I don't want to do (why use crap Microsoft technologies for doing that Sad So looks like I'm stuck with Plex and its db problems Sad

Thanks you too Wink
Why do you need plex or emby?

1. Share your media from your server via smb or nfs

2. Set up mysql on your server so each kodi client shares the same database.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There's a Plex Kodi connect add-on based off the emby for Kodi add-on that does the same exact thing.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
You can also install the Emby server as a docker container. Info on docker wiki This way you don't have to install mono systemwide. I've been using it on my unraid server for about 8 months now and it is rock solid. I use it as a backend for my 4 kodi installs.

I know that you can do the same thing with sql but using Emby is so simple even I can do it Big Grin
(2017-06-08, 11:08)nickr Wrote: Why do you need plex or emby?
Thanks for suggestion but too complicated system and not possible as most of users are remote and SMB/NFS are not usable through the net !

(2017-06-08, 12:40)dgeezer Wrote: You can also install the Emby server as a docker container. Info on docker wiki This way you don't have to install mono systemwide. I've been using it on my unraid server for about 8 months now and it is rock solid. I use it as a backend for my 4 kodi installs.
I know that you can do the same thing with sql but using Emby is so simple even I can do it Big Grin
Ah yep good idea the container as it avoids to mess system and I have plenty of processor power and RAM on that server Wink Thanks for suggestion !
(2017-06-08, 14:15)vincen Wrote:
(2017-06-08, 11:08)nickr Wrote: Why do you need plex or emby?
Thanks for suggestion but too complicated system and not possible as most of users are remote and SMB/NFS are not usable through the net !
It's as complicated as 1+1=2. But you are right about it not being good over the internet, a requirement I missed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I use both personally. Plex is great for remote web access either directly from the browser or via mobile apps, built in transcoding and offline access to content is very useful when travelling.

Kodi is great when at home and wanting a more customisable experience. It (IMHO) provides a better UI for watching on TV and more options for skins, addons, views etc. Plex is very limited in this regard.

You can run both and point them at the same media sources. I use the Trakit addon and MySQL to keep everything in sync
I run both on the same Machine (PC)!
This way I get the great Interface of Kodi but all the Transcoding goodness of Plex.
Since the Library sits on an NAS I simply map the drives to the PC so both Plex and Kodi can access it.
(2017-06-20, 00:30)Asphyx Wrote: I run both on the same Machine (PC)!
This way I get the great Interface of Kodi but all the Transcoding goodness of Plex.
Since the Library sits on an NAS I simply map the drives to the PC so both Plex and Kodi can access it.

This is exactly what I'm looking to do as well. I don't care so much about syncing what I've seen, as I can update manually the few times it applies. I am however, at a loss trying to determine how powerful the NAS needs to be. The more I look into this, the more I think having a cheap and simple NAS plus some WD Red (or even purple) 5400 drives would suffice.
That will really depend if you want to transcode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex user thinking about Kodi ;)0