5.1 audio support
Hi Everyone,

I got the NextPVR plugin working on Kodi 17.1 and it's great but I noticed that there is no 5.1 audio. I am running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield Android TV and serving the NextPVR from a computer with a TV tuner card connected to an outdoor antenna. The info for the programs I am watching says that it is 5.1 but my receiver (and my ears) show otherwise. I have audio pass-through enabled in my system settings and I do get 5.1 on streamed videos from my NAS. Is there something I need to do on the computer serving the NextPVR stream to Kodi or on Kodi itself?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Ken
(2017-06-10, 06:38)deeciple Wrote: Is there something I need to do on the computer serving the NextPVR stream to Kodi or on Kodi itself?
NextPVR will be passing through the original audio stream, so if you're not getting 5.1, it'll be something to the Kodi audio configuration.
Hi sub3,

Thanks for the reply. Does the NextPVR plugin for Kodi support 5.1?

Thanks,

Ken
(2017-06-10, 20:49)deeciple Wrote: Does the NextPVR plugin for Kodi support 5.1?
Yeah, sure - but the NextPVR addon is just supplying the raw stream to Kodi, and Kodi itself is responsible for the decoding. If the original bitstream is AC3 5.1, then that is what is given to Kodi.
(2017-06-10, 06:38)deeciple Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I got the NextPVR plugin working on Kodi 17.1 and it's great but I noticed that there is no 5.1 audio. I am running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield Android TV and serving the NextPVR from a computer with a TV tuner card connected to an outdoor antenna. The info for the programs I am watching says that it is 5.1 but my receiver (and my ears) show otherwise. I have audio pass-through enabled in my system settings and I do get 5.1 on streamed videos from my NAS. Is there something I need to do on the computer serving the NextPVR stream to Kodi or on Kodi itself?

If you're watching LiveTV, I believe as of Kodi 17 5.1 audio isn't output with LiveTV. If I remember correctly from another thread, it has something to do with Kodi needing to periodically resync the audio and video, so Kodi has to decode the audio stream and remux it. I guess when that happens they can't re-encode it again as 5.1.
Bummer. Yeah, If I listen to the optical feed to the receiver (when watching TV directly) I get 5.1 so I know it's there. Unfortunately this way does not allow me to pause and FFwd through commercials. Oh well, at least my wife is happy she can do this through NextPVR on Kodi. I don't think she even notices the difference in the sound, lol.

UPDATE:

I did find a work around. In the Kodi system settings I enabled the "Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding" setting under "Audio Passthrough" in the Audio settings. One question, though, will this transcode ALL dolby digital audio (for example when streaming from my NAS, which didn't have a problem before)?

Thanks,

Ken
(2017-06-10, 22:24)deeciple Wrote: I did find a work around. In the Kodi system settings I enabled the "Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding" setting under "Audio Passthrough" in the Audio settings. One question, though, will this transcode ALL dolby digital audio (for example when streaming from my NAS, which didn't have a problem before)?

Yea, I'm pretty sure that option will be for all video. We watch so little LiveTV that I decided I'd rather not have all my audio re-encoded on the file just for the little bit of LiveTV.
Agreed. We watch mostly local news on live TV.
Kodi does not pass through on live TV. It will send lpcm multi channel.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have the same issue, but weirdly it doesn't effect in progress recordings if I play them from the recordings tab. I assume that is because even in progress recordings are included in a database whereas the live streams aren't.

How does leaving the transcoding on really effect things, I thought that was for transcoding of audio formats that your receiver didn't support, i.e. if you have a DD only receiver then you can transcode DTS to DD.
All my DTS and DTS-HD movies continue to play in DTS, I assume the DD and DD+ movies play unchanged and the stereo TV shows play in stereo LPCM.
It is only LiveTV affected by the change in 17.x

Not recordings
Not movies or tv that are outside the pvr system.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 audio support0