v17 USB sound problems
Hi,
I wonder if someone could help with an USB sound problem. I have a sudden loss of sound due to my speakers being switched off. My system consists of:-

USB KEF egg speakers
Windows 7 ultimate x64bit
Kodi 17.3

The problem I have is that when I'm watching a film the KEF speakers are suddenly switched off, there doesn't appear to be an event that causes it. It just switches to another sound source, when I turn the speakers back on they come back into play. This can happen every 10 seconds or so. This didn't happen under Jarvis and this is a fresh install from scratch of Krypton as I deleted the user directory and all settings before installing Krypton. Is this a common settings problem and if so what do I need to do to resolve it. I appreciate that I may not have given you enough information at this stage to resolve this problem and I apologise if this is the case. I'm looking for pointers of where to go before drilling down further and giving out more pertinent and appropriate information.

I freshly installed Krypton on a windows 10 pro x64 laptop with exactly the same problem, so I think it's the interplay between Krypton and USB speakers.

Thanks for your help.
Kodi doesn't supply drivers for you speakers, so in effect it's the drivers at issue and how that system interacts with Kodi, It's likely some sort of failure of the signal type, and Kodi defaults to directsound; so in that case set-up for directsound Audio (wiki) and a good guide is Audio quickstart guide (wiki) along with Audio troubleshooting (wiki) Hope that settles out the issue.
Hi,

I already have it on Direct Sound and I've been through the documentation I'm afraid. There never appears to be any mention of USB speakers of any sort. When the speakers are on they play fine, the problem is that when I'm using Kodi for playback the speakers keep being switched off, sometimes as soon as I switch them back on again. This is something that doesn't happen in any other playback system (i.e. Kodi Jarvis, Windows media player, media centre, winamp etc) on lin Kodi Krypton. The speakers work fine if I use the motherboard's sound card and connect via optical link, the only problem with that is a) iIt doesn't sound as good as the speakers DAC is not activated via this method and b) the jack where the optical cable is also the output jack for the sub woofer. This is why I want the USB section ton to work. What could possibly be causing the speakers to be switched off. It happens in windows 7, windows 10 and Linux openSuse leap.

Do you have any more pointers?

Again thank you for your help in this matter.
(2017-06-15, 14:40)JuliusJ Wrote: Do you have any more pointers?
Short - No, I don't have any more information on this issue, than yourself. USB speakers is more or less a new thing and would require some drivers, and for the most part, it seems to work in most cases, even in this case, just not with any reliability (check your connections carefully, it's the loss of some recognition of the audio, dare I say handshaking?). There was changes to the audio section between 16 and 17, the issue over multiple o/s points at the USB driver and it's interaction with Kodi (although in the case of a Linux install, I'm a little unsure but it seems like the same routines are utilized). So I guess you know what I'm about to say 'Jarvis' works, you don't need to fix what is not broken.

If there's a user that does have a USB power speaker system, who can input into this conversation, that would be welcome.
Hi,

Once again thanks for your reply. One more bit of info before I draw a line under this for now and just delve into what I can myself. The speakers are supposed to follow the windows state, if windows goes to sleep then the speakers are supposed to as well. I had KEF turn this feature off so once they are on they are on until I turn them off which leads me to believe there is a signal being emanated from somewhere that is switching off this particular type of speaker. Once upon a time before I had the sleep feature turned off an alt-tab (only from Kodi) would do it. I'll try going back to Jarvis and see what happens there. When I find a solution I'll post back.

Thanks for your input, even if we didn't get anywhere.

J.
Hi Julius, did you ever figure out the solution to the problem? I also have the Kef egg speakers and they are automatically shutting off and then my monitor becomes the audio output device. I updated my speakers as well with the Kef software update to stop the speakers from auto shutoff.
(2017-09-26, 05:36)timmytwopillows Wrote: Hi Julius, did you ever figure out the solution to the problem? I also have the Kef egg speakers and they are automatically shutting off and then my monitor becomes the audio output device. I updated my speakers as well with the Kef software update to stop the speakers from auto shutoff.
Where did you find the kef software update that prevent the auto shutoff? Please I've been looking for an update for months...
(2017-12-18, 23:51)sephodani Wrote:
(2017-09-26, 05:36)timmytwopillows Wrote: Hi Julius, did you ever figure out the solution to the problem? I also have the Kef egg speakers and they are automatically shutting off and then my monitor becomes the audio output device. I updated my speakers as well with the Kef software update to stop the speakers from auto shutoff.
Where did you find the kef software update that prevent the auto shutoff? Please I've been looking for an update for months... 

There are many people including myself who are looking for this mysterious firmware update. It's mentioned on several places but it's nowhere to be found.
Official KEF support doesn't respond to requests for it.
If some good soul who has it could share it I'm sure hundreds of desperate owners would be very happy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB sound problems0