Kodi 17.3 crashes when installing addons using Windows 10 creator
Whenever I try to install an addon in Kodi 17.3 I get a Windows error message that the program has stopped. I first tried to install Yahoo weather and Kodi crashed. Then I followed PatK's suggestion to try installing OpenWeatherMap and Kodi stopped once again. I have also tried to install the Food TV addon from the Kodi repository and that crashed also. Please see attached log file for when I tried to install OpenWeatherMap

https://paste.ubuntu.com/24844155/
I've installed OpenWeatherMap on Krypton and had no issues, so it's likely to be something a little bit obscure. I have noticed that you're running a few add-ons that have had issues with Krypton, and I'm wondering if it's one of those or some dependency of one of these older depreciated add-ons. The last line of your log shows the file openweathermap.extended-4.4.2.zip unpacking zip, and then nothing as if the archiver was in trouble. The best diagnosis at this point is to load up a http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable (wiki) install with just the absolute minimum configuration for a local video source, load up OpenWeatherMap and a few other repository add-ons and let's see if we can get some joy.

Release - OpenWeatherMap Extended https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=207110 Personal API Key might be needed.
Created the portable installation. When installing I unchecked all the boxes (addons, Microsoft C, etc. Not sure if I should have left any checked or not. I then installed OpenWeatherMap with no problems. Then installed Food Network, Bravo, and Fox News addons with no problem and all seem to be running great.
Yes it's probably one of the legacy add-ons that is giving you the gears. Regarding those missed ticks, you probably already have the MS one's from a previous install, and if you don't have a TV tuner, the PVR is just more stuff you don't use. You can either re-build this portable install into something you like and delete the old one (note my signature for a fresh start, and delete that folder) and just re-install local or attempt a rebuild (not something I would do). I would forget about the old install, sounds like it's compromised.
I've already tried the Fresh Start a couple of times and that didn't help. May just have to try to figure out which of the addons, etc is causing the problem one by one. Are those addons that I didn't install in the portable version actually needed by Kodi?
On a minimal install, the add-ons are dependencies of various functions of Kodi and the routines are called upon for various 'extras' the positive part of this kind of coding is that they can be upgraded on the fly without a complete re-install. Might be a good idea to save your first debug log should you ever need to compare it with some rogue install or wayward software attempt and need to do some pruning.

Re-reading your question, perhaps a misunderstanding in that you mean compared to the corrupted install? Most of the add-ons have been vetted, but sometimes at the pace Kodi has been advancing, some of the add-ons just haven't kept up (and I don't fault the authors, everyone has a life) so installation of any add-on must be done cautiously to ensure it's functionality and any ramifications it could have with Kodi.
Bad news. Did a completely new reinstall including deleted the Kodi folder in Roaming. Problem persists. Cannot install OpenWeatherMap. Did another new install but this time I unchecked all boxes in the addon selection window during install. Still cannot install OpenWeatherMap. Also sometimes Kodi crashes shortly after startup before I attempt anything. Why will Kodi run as portable but not as regular?. The portable on a flash drive seems to work fine but installing on the laptop with no addon boxes checked (same as portable) it has problems. Only thing I did different is that on the laptop I am not using the -p when clicking the shortcut
That is bad news, I wouldn't point directly at hardware.. but some things don't add-up. Permissions in the way? Wondering if you could do another portable install, but install on the local hard drive or SSD using the -p launch, and let's see what happens.
Looking at OP's log, the problem is occurring when the addon is unzipped. Since it seems to work in portable mode,
I guess it is a write permissions problem on appdata\roaming. As an aside, unless you have a multiple windows user setup, just install and run Kodi in portable mode to sidestep any appdata issues.

scott s.
Tried installing it on my local C: drive and no luck. Kodi sometimes crashes right after start up or the one time I was able to attempt to install OpenWeatherMap it crashed. The above was doing a minimal install with no boxes checked as I did for my flash drive. Launched with the -p
Can confirm, surprised by this, clearly more alpha or beta testers needed.
Can I get another debug log, but from the portable 'local' install after the crash? (delete the existing log prior to launch to make this a clean sweep).
@AbRASiON can you throw us a proper debug log & crash dump from a portable 'local' install after you've crashed adding something?
here is the requested log file

https://paste.ubuntu.com/24857249/
Now I'm wondering if this is something specific to the OpenWeatherMap add-on, would you try to load up a different add-on? Crashes?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.3 crashes when installing addons using Windows 10 creator1