Overlay during video playback
Is there a way to have an image overlay during video playback? Besides the one used for the player controls?

I'd like to create a scanlines or CRT-mask overlay that displays on top of video while it is playing for older TV shows.

Thanks in advance.
You can add the code to VideoFullScreen.xml. So in your case you could have an image display if the video resolution is less than 720.
(2017-06-15, 00:03)Hitcher Wrote: You can add the code to VideoFullScreen.xml. So in your case you could have an image display if the video resolution is less than 720.

Thanks for the tip! I don't suppose you could post the code for that? Is VideoFullScreen.xml a global file or will it be skin-specific? I'm hoping skin-specific. Where would it be located?
As I was curious as to how it would look I did one better and coded it all for you to try out!

Download these files; drop the scanlines.png in the media folder of the skin you want to use; and drop the Custom_1199_Scanlines.xml in the folder containing the XML files (xml in Estuary or 720p in Confluence) in the same skin.

This is what it looks like in action -

(2017-06-15, 11:40)Hitcher Wrote: As I was curious as to how it would look I did one better and coded it all for you to try out!

Download these files; drop the scanlines.png in the media folder of the skin you want to use; and drop the Custom_1199_Scanlines.xml in the folder containing the XML files (xml in Estuary or 720p in Confluence) in the same skin.

This is what it looks like in action -

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I'm about to try it out! What did you think about it? My Buffy videos are not super high-quality, so that will be a good test case for me as well.
Oh, wow. That is interesting.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I love it! Thanks! It really feels like I'm watching Six Million Dollar Man, Incredible Hulk, A-Team, and Knight Rider on an old CRT TV!

Now, to figure out how I can easily turn it off/on. That's why I was hoping this would be a "skin-thing". I can easily switch skins to turn it off/on. I use Confluence because I'm used to it and I HATE Estuary (no offense if that's your baby). I tried making a copy of the "skin.confluence" folder and renaming it to "skin.confluence2". Then I edited the addon.xml so the name would be "Confluence2"...
...but I still only saw "Confluence" (the original skin) in my list of skins.

I'm looking around for a "master list" of installed skins somewhere now. I'll check back here when I fail and see if you have any tips for me Big Grin

Once again, THANKS!
Well, I gave up trying to add my modified Confluence skin to the skin list by editing xml files. I just zipped the "skin.confluence2" folder I had and installed it from zip.

I will probably play around with different overlay files but I think I will end up returning to the "scanlines.png" you made.

Thanks again!
You'll need to rename the skin in the addon.xml as well. If I had the Python skills it would make a nice addon.
(2017-06-16, 07:36)Hitcher Wrote: You'll need to rename the skin in the addon.xml as well. If I had the Python skills it would make a nice addon.
That's the first thing I tried but it didn't work. I don't mind having to zip-it and then install it from zip. I really have to do that anyway when I want to put it on my FireTV.

I'm having a helluva time with an overlay I'm trying to make. It worked the first time then I tried changing the shade of the grid and now the transparent parts are shaded when I apply it.

This is the "scanlines.png" file that I use with MAME. I modeled it after the CRT overlay in Nes.Emu, Md.Emu, etc. I'm trying to create a video overlay with the same pattern.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tmdo7vs4h0cic...s.png?dl=0

I think the problem is with Paint.net - which is what I'm using to turn that 32x32 image into 1920x1080.

I have a feature request for this sort of thing. Seems like a must once retroplayer is incorporated into Kodi. Would be cool if to be able to select an overlay image for videos as well. You did good by me, so thanks again!
I added a similar feature to the upcoming PseudoTV Live v.0.9.x

Each channel can have its own overlay. Anyone that knows of a good collection of images, please point me in the direction. THX

Sent from my SM-G935T
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Here is the "scanlines.png" overlay that I've settled on:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hiqax2g1whrrm...2.png?dl=0

EDIT: Changed link/file.

I'm very happy with this one and even like it overlaid on my 720 and 1080 videos.
Is there any way to make it so that this only appears on fullscreen videos and does not display above the regular skin's interface?
I probably ran into whatever is making you ask this question. I think that's why I made a duplicate skin and included it "always on" in the skin. As far as displaying on top of the skin, it didn't do that for me. It did display on top of the OnScreen Display though. Didn't bother me.

Just to update this thread, here's where I recently posted the 'overlays' I currently use in Mame and Retroarch.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=341012

I stuck with the overlay I previously posted here for video.

Maybe now that Kodi plays games, they'll add something like this for games and videos.
Here is what I meant by it displays on top of the interface:

I'm actually trying to add a CRT TV border if you will, but that actually blocks out things like the title, progress bar and menu options at the bottom as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Overlay during video playback1