Win Buffermode 1 and wasapi breaks music
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294564

previous thread completely ignored. Still happening. Debug logs on previous post, can make identical debug logs whenever.

After testing with a vanilla install, adding the advancedsettings.xml and then trying settings one by one, I can now say 100% that buffermode1 fails with music playback, skipping all queued tracks other than the first played, when wasapi is enabled. Doesnt happen with directsound audio.

Any chance of a fix? only been a problem for years now.
If you're absolutely certain of your findings, it might get more traction if you log it as a bug in trac. Maybe. Just a thought.
Just made a small test:

- pre-alpha Kodi 18 64-bits
- buffermode set to 1
- wasapi enabled
- music files stored on the same computer than the one kodi is installed
- music playlist created for the test

Result: works without issue
Log just in case: https://pastebin.com/Dm5PL6iY

So there is need for further investigation:

- issue solved in kodi 18?
- need another parameter to trigger the issue?
Moanbag is in da place!
It's not that Vanilla once you load up the advanced settings, and from what I can see you're loading up visualizations which don't seem to be standard fare, when others have issues with some. Failed to create the decoder stands out in the log, along with a few other errors. Best suggestion, considering this issue has gone on for sometime; how about a quick 'http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable' mode install, zero extras/add-on or advanced settings and in file mode play some stuff. Copy your advancedsettings file into the source drive Kodi\portable_data\userdata and try once more, does the issue pop up? This answer will determine the next step. Suspect: rogue add-on.

[edit] I did try and replicate, <buffermode>1</buffermode> plays fine.
Start at the obvious place - you are using 17.0 beta4 - try updating to 17.3
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Reading the wiki page for caching, it only mentions video - whether that is an oversight on the wiki I do not know.

Do you really need the cache settings? They are usually only needed if your network is not up to par for streaming video. However your network would have to be really bad before you needed caching for the sort of bitrate normally found in music files.

Anyway, no one seems to be able to replicate your problem, which makes analysis difficult.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
bit of background : WIn10, all up to date, FX8320@4ghz, 24gig ram, Windows running from SSD, C:, music is on E:. running 17.3 release, no nightlies.

Bit more testing this morning after your responses had me scratching my head as initially I couldnt replicate either. Turns out its time related, kodi needs to have been running for a bit first before it starts happening.

Log : https://pastebin.com/SAS5zpkZ

Sorry PatK, you wont be fobbing this one off to 3pty addons and piracy today ;p

As for why I want to use buffermode 1? Well, Ive got 24gig for a start, so because I can, but I also prefer to listen to my music than my harddrive. Primarily I use buffermode 1 to bypass another VERY longterm issue in that I get 3 gaps in playback while playing FLAC as it buffers the next track. Posted about it various times, fobbed off various times.
So how much time kodi needs to run in the backgroung before we could try to reproduce the issue?

Or does kodi need to run something before we switch to music? movie playback?
Moanbag is in da place!
How long is a piece of string? However long the log says.

Wasnt backgrounded, foreground app at all times. Couldnt initially replicate on fresh launch, was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why when it was 100% last night, I was interrupted by a phone call, came back, bug evident. Log will explain. A matter of minutes though, less than 10.
Still can not reproduce the issue...

Here is what I did:
-launch kodi
-let it doing nothing on foreground for 30min
-launch playback of a 25min playlist
-once playback finished, let kodi doing nothing for 5min
-relaunch the playlist
-stop the playback when kodi was on 2nd song of the playlist

So, as I already said, I think there is something more than just buffermode and wasapi

My advice would be:
-install a second kodi in http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
-set it to use wasapi (and make absolutly no other settings)
-use advancedsettings with nothing else than cache settings in it
-add music to library
-create a playlist
-try to reproduce your issue

This way we should be able to see if it come from an addon or a setting
Moanbag is in da place!
what does the log say the problem is? log is god round here, I dont need to add any more.
Quote:Sorry PatK, you wont be fobbing this one off to 3pty addons and piracy today ;p

If you had pirate add-ons, I would have zeroed in on that, but some of those add-ons have not kept pace with Kodi development, and have caused issues in the past. The failure over time, suggests some memory leakage or software interaction outside of Kodi (consider the majority of users are not dealing with this issue, and most of the posters in this thread can't replicate).

The log is kinda wordy... too many add-ons talking all the same time Smile Let's do that portable install, please.
(2017-06-18, 17:30)Madmuhfuh Wrote: what does the log say the problem is? log is god round here, I dont need to add any more.

That's the tricky part: while it tells that there seems to have an error reading from cache, it does not give a clue on why it can't read it

That's why I first try to reproduce the issue then advise you to try on a minimalistic portable installation: try to remove possibilities from the list in order to finally find the culprit...
Moanbag is in da place!
The log shows me that at least on one track you skipped forward to the end of the track. What peripherals does your machine have? I see a mouse in use, is there also, say, a game controller?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffermode 1 and wasapi breaks music0