Win General queries Xiaomi Android Box
Hello,
I am an old geezer and I hope you will excuse my ignorance. I had never heard of a Kodi or android TV box until a couple of days ago and I have decided I must have one. I just need help with a couple of simple questions please.

I have an early model Panasonic Smart TV which is connected to my modem/router by an Ethernet cable which allows us to watch Netflix and a bit of other internet content with the help of a Fetch TV box.

I have noted that there is a Xiaomi Mi android box available on E bay in Australia that is described as "International model", and I am attracted to it because I particularly like the voice operated remote. (I have macular degeneration and I know I would have difficulty trying to use a keyboard in other than bright light.)

I would like to know if I am able to access Kodi on the Xiaomi box?

I would like to know if there is some way of connecting it through my Fetch TV box and if so do I need to order anything other than what is supplied?

Most importantly, I need to know if I will be able to access captions on Kodi and and any other applications we may be using. (I am quite deaf.)

From content on the internet I have heard the voice operated remote is quite good. If anyone has had experience with it I would appreciate a brief response as to its' usefulness.

Thank you in anticipation.
Drover.[/size]
Already quite a long thread on this product here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083
Hello Drover,

As @808 already stated, most hardware is covered in detail in the Hardware Forum. I will move your thread there.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Drover, yes the Android TV - USA Spec - International Mi Box Model MDZ-16-AB has what I consider the best, simple Voice remote out of all the Android devices on the market.

With the Android TV OS (think nVIDIA Shield & Mi Box), you get OS system wide Voice searching capabilities. Apps must have Voice search capabilities coded into them.

SPMC (Kodi Jarvis) and the upcoming Kodi v18 Leia has Voice searching capabilities of scraped (meaning gathered Metadata from Internet) - Kodi Audio and Video content.

With Google Voice Assist you also get to issue system commands and do general Google enquiries, much like you would with a Smartphone / Tablet.
For example (using Mi Box) "Run Kodi".

If you are really serious about Voice searching I suggest you actually look at the nVIDIA Shield, because extra Voice Assist capabilities will come to that platform first in the form of an Android TV OS upgrade called "O".
There is going to be a lot of Google development in Voice Assist / Automation going forward with platforms like Android TV OS at the heart of it all. Apple I believe are doing similar things. As are Amazon.

The Shield is the King of Android TV devices, and has extremely capable hardware that gets all the new Android features before other Android platforms, its worth paying extra for.

Google Assistant voice control coming to Android TV

Android TV has a built in Captioning features - I've only used it for Live Channels - OTA TV streams.

I know of no way of connecting a Fetch PVR to Android TV.

WOW! What a great site. I never dreamed my queries would be answered so quickly. Is it sufficient to express my appreciation to wrxtasy, Karellen and 808? here. I am so impressed .

My only concern now is that I read somewhere on the site that the Xiaomi Mi box does not have an Ethernet port (if that is the expression) My TV is quite a long way from my modem/router and the only way we could get access to Netflix etc. was with a hard-wire in the form of an Ethernet cable to the Fetch TV box which I gather will have no further use.

Is there some way of overcoming this problem?
We are a pretty helpful lot around here - some with enough knowledge to be dangerous Wink

For a USB > Ethernet adapter - Mi Box - AUS enquiries, there was recent discussion on this very topic over on the Whirlpool forums:
http://whrl.pl/ReV6i6
http://whrl.pl/ReVA4R

This USB 2.0 to RJ45 LAN Ethernet Network Adapter for PC Win7 MacBook Pro Air Mac OS has also been confirmed to work.

(2017-06-18, 05:44)Drover Wrote: Hello,
I am an old geezer and I hope you will excuse my ignorance. I had never heard of a Kodi or android TV box until a couple of days ago and I have decided I must have one. I just need help with a couple of simple questions please.

I have an early model Panasonic Smart TV which is connected to my modem/router by an Ethernet cable which allows us to watch Netflix and a bit of other internet content with the help of a Fetch TV box.

I have noted that there is a Xiaomi Mi android box available on E bay in Australia that is described as "International model", and I am attracted to it because I particularly like the voice operated remote. (I have macular degeneration and I know I would have difficulty trying to use a keyboard in other than bright light.)

I would like to know if I am able to access Kodi on the Xiaomi box?

I would like to know if there is some way of connecting it through my Fetch TV box and if so do I need to order anything other than what is supplied?

Most importantly, I need to know if I will be able to access captions on Kodi and and any other applications we may be using. (I am quite deaf.)

From content on the internet I have heard the voice operated remote is quite good. If anyone has had experience with it I would appreciate a brief response as to its' usefulness.

Thank you in anticipation.
Drover.[/size]

We have a Fetch TV box and MiBoxes (connected to network cable via USB network adapters). With your recordings from the Fetch TV box, it is possible to view them on the MiBox running Kodi (you just have to set it up as a new source). Unfortunately you can only replay the Free to Air recordings this way and NOT pay TV channels (which are protected somehow and only playable on another TV by getting an additional Fetch TV box), but still, that will let you watch your recordings on another TV if that is what you want to do.
Hello again,

woronczak and wrxtasy have both indicated that I can connect my Mi box to our Ethernet cable via a "USB network adapter" or a "USB 2.0 to RJ145 LAN Ethernet network adapter"

I must say this is all foreign to my simple mind so I called our local electronic store (Jacar) and was informed that these would not work because they needed to have a driver and the language they use to talk to each other would be wrong.(This is only my interpretation of what was said)

I was told I would need a WiFi Ranger to do the job and the prices start at $54.

I am very confused now and I would appreciate it if either of the contributors could could give me a bit more guidance please.

With thanks.
Don't believe Jaycar as they have no experience with the Mi Box and basically do not know what they are talking about regarding USB > Ethernet adapters when used with an Android OS device.

The devices previously mentioned have been proven to work by numerous Mi Box users now. I've used the AX88772A chipset USB adapter personally - its Plug n Play as are the other recommended ones.

If you want a simple solution that gives you Ethernet and some additional USB ports have a look at this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ugreen-3-Port...2749.l2649

I'm using this one myself and works great - just plug in and go. Also confirmed to work fine with the software upgrade for the Mibox that should be available soon.

thnx
You people are legends. Thank you for your lightening like responses.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
General queries Xiaomi Android Box0