Cleaning library: all videos on external drives removed form library
Suddenly when I clean the video library all movies / series on external drives not connected are removed from the library. There is no message whether to clean the drives not being connected like it was before.

Obviouly I set some setting wrong. But which one?
Windows 10 Home, 64bit | Newest stable Kodi in portable mode
you are talking about kodi 17?

If yes, then you have set nothing wrong

Just have to read the description at the bottom of the page:

Moanbag is in da place!
Many thanks, Gracus,

Yes, 17.

Thank you for the screenshot. Unbelievable, the same option with a new / different behavior in Kodi 17? Removing all videos from the library of drives not plugged in? I am wondering what sense that does make.

And how can one clean the library now?

Many thanks again
(2017-06-19, 19:41)Boyzie Wrote: Many thanks, Gracus,

Yes, 17.

Thank you for the screenshot. Unbelievable, the same option with a new / different behavior in Kodi 17? Removing all videos from the library of drives not plugged in? I am wondering what sense that does make.

And how can one clean the library now?

Many thanks again

Just plug all your storage before cleaning library

Or use a NAS and put all your files on it

Or maybe the warning message has been removed by mistake (can not comment on this one)
Moanbag is in da place!
Quote: Just plug all your storage before cleaning library
It is not possible plugging in about 10 drives at the same time. And it would last some time, I guess. And would not be useful for me. And each time plugging in all of one's drives before cleaning appears to be not a good manner.

Quote: Or use a NAS and put all your files on it
I do not have any NAS.

Yes, may be, but to just to change the working of such an option is redicouless, I have lost all of the entries in the library and it will last some days to re-scrape.

Anyway, many thanks again
I believe there is a setting somewhere that tackles this thing - not cleaning in case of removable media
Not sure where as I have a nas and cant be bothered with plugging disks in and out all the time
Quote: I believe there is a setting somewhere that tackles this thing - not cleaning in case of removable media
Yes, who knows?

Quote: Not sure where as I have a nas and cant be bothered with plugging disks in and out all the time
So this NAS is running all the time?
Uh, did you read the Wiki?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos

Clean library... Remove items from your library that can't be found (either renamed, deleted, or on removable storage that is currently unplugged).
I'm going to disagree with most of the posters and sympathise with the op. I did a test with 13 drives and held back one (offline) and used both the add-on 'video database cleaner' and Kodi 17.3 built in clean library function and proceeded. In both cases, at the end of the scan; I was offered the choice of removing the multiple sources with listings in the library or to keep. I kept, and all my listing are intact.

So in the case of the op, the software is not functioning as designed. (debug log)

A workaround would be two separate portable Kodi installs, and two libraries. Kodi 17.3 win 7/64 tested Leia and was also presented with the option of 'keep' or 'Remove'.
(2017-06-19, 22:02)Boyzie Wrote:
Quote: I believe there is a setting somewhere that tackles this thing - not cleaning in case of removable media
Yes, who knows?

Quote: Not sure where as I have a nas and cant be bothered with plugging disks in and out all the time
So this NAS is running all the time?

There still is a setting "ask before cleaning" in Library Auto Update. You could set that. Or not clean your library anymore. You can always remove dangling entries through context menu.

As for my NAS - yes that is on 24/7.
Quote:Uh, did you read the Wiki?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos

Clean library... Remove items from your library that can't be found (either renamed, deleted, or on removable storage that is currently unplugged).
Uh, yes, I did, at the beginning of this thread.Thanks for the link.

Quote:I'm going to disagree with most of the posters and sympathise with the op.
Ah, these are nice words I really like.

Quote:I did a test with 13 drives and held back one (offline) and used both the add-on 'video database cleaner' and Kodi 17.3 built in clean library function and proceeded. In both cases, at the end of the scan; I was offered the choice of removing the multiple sources with listings in the library or to keep. I kept, and all my listing are intact.
So I should try 'video database cleaner'. It appears to be this one: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=272112. A beta version, obviously

Such messages appeared in my (old / the last version or before) Kodi for each drive not plugged in, not at the end once (what I would prefere).

Quote:So in the case of the op, the software is not functioning as designed. (debug log)
https://pastebin.com/P0uWByKk
But why does it say such in the Wiki: "Clean library... Remove items from your library that can't be found (either renamed, deleted, or on removable storage that is currently unplugged). "? It sounds as if such message would not be shown anymore, Kodi just reomoves all eintries of vidoes not accessible.

Quote:A workaround would be two separate portable Kodi installs, and two libraries.
Kodi uses about 12 GB here (on my SSD 256 GB), so I assume it would be a bit of dissipation of storage may be. And one had to manage two databases.

Quote:There still is a setting "ask before cleaning" in Library Auto Update. You could set that.
Yes, I would do it, but I cannot find it. Where is it?

Quote:Or not clean your library anymore.
Yes, or not use Kodi anymore.

Quote:You can always remove dangling entries through context menu.
Well, yes, but doing it for thousands of entries might be quite boring.

Quote:As for my NAS - yes that is on 24/7.
OK, no bothering with plugging in and off drives, that would be great here of course.
Quote:I should try 'video database cleaner'.

Yes do so, I found it works well and offers the same 'replace or delete' requester along with exclusion to be set in the set-up.

Quote:But why does it say such in the Wiki: "Clean library..etc.

I would have said that's a hang-over from a by-gone era, but I suspect the function might have some issues (as we see in your case) this might be a skin or some add-on that interferes with the process (nothing in the log stands out) I'm leaning towards any add-on or function that meddles with menu's and requesters. The only sure fire way to test on your hardware is to fire up a portable mode Kodi default everything, and set two sources, and remove one to do a clean and see if it behaves as designed.

Putting TV shows in one portable build and movies in another might cut back your drive dependency and some clever synchronisation might keep your maintenance levels down. Exporting your library to separate files, ensures you can get your library back into shape quickly.

Yes, or not use Kodi anymore. Are you suicidal?

Yes, of course, a NAS is the perfect solution here.

@Montellese Wrote: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1594191
Quote:I would have said that's a hang-over from a by-gone era, but I suspect the function might have some issues (as we see in your case) this might be a skin or some add-on that interferes with the process (nothing in the log stands out) I'm leaning towards any add-on or function that meddles with menu's and requesters. The only sure fire way to test on your hardware is to fire up a portable mode Kodi default everything, and set two sources, and remove one to do a clean and see if it behaves as designed.

Putting TV shows in one portable build and movies in another might cut back your drive dependency and some clever synchronisation might keep your maintenance levels down. Exporting your library to separate files, ensures you can get your library back into shape quickly.
Yes, that or something like that I should really do. The only add ons I have installed the last time is Keymap Editor or so and may be Global Search, may be there is a connection.
I have a back up, about 1, 2 weeks old, I will check if a cleaning behaves the same as it does on my original Kodi.

Quote:Yes, or not use Kodi anymore. Are you suicidal?
No, no...not at all...how can you...well...I mean....only, when I use Windows...of course I would never stop using Kodi.

Quote:Yes, of course, a NAS is the perfect solution here.
But quite expensive (for 30, 40 TB), I guess.

Quote:@Montellese Wrote: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1594191
Yes, that's how it worked on my System some weeks / a week or so ago.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cleaning library: all videos on external drives removed form library0