Pi 2 or Pi 3?
I think about installing Kodi (maybe with LibreELEC) on a Pi. But the question is if it is a 2 or 3.

I don't need wlan. And in the next time I don't have or need 4K videos or something like that. So why should it be a Pi 3? Is there any other reason for that?

Or are there reasons against a Pi 2?
(2017-06-20, 21:33)MoonKid Wrote: I think about installing Kodi (maybe with LibreELEC) on a Pi. But the question is if it is a 2 or 3.

I don't need wlan. And in the next time I don't have or need 4K videos or something like that. So why should it be a Pi 3? Is there any other reason for that?

Or are there reasons against a Pi 2?
Or you should take a look at the Ordroid C2.

Sent from my HTC 10
Either will run it fine.

The Pi3 is a little quicker and has built in WiFi and Bluetooth, but it does run a little hotter and needs a little more current in some usages.

But if you have a Pi2 around already it should do fine for your usage example.

To put it in context I run LibreElec on a Pi zero when traveling (mainly normal dvd rips) and even that is ok.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
If you don't own either, get the Pi 3 as it is slightly faster.

However, alternatives like the Odroid C2 are also a good idea.
Get a Pi 3 along with an official Kodi Raspberry Pi case from either Flirc or the Pi Hut, as this also comes with passive cooling (the whole case is a heatsink). I bought two of these cases for my setup at home (one in the bedroom and one in the living room) and do the job brilliantly, Not only that they look nice too!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
The price looks the same. Pi 2 and 3 with the same price?
(2017-06-20, 23:40)tjay260476 Wrote: Get a Pi 3 along with an official Kodi Raspberry Pi case from either Flirc or the Pi Hut, as this also comes with passive cooling (the whole case is a heatsink). I bought two of these cases for my setup at home (one in the bedroom and one in the living room) and do the job brilliantly, Not only that they look nice too!

Can you provide a link to the flirc and pihut thing?
(2017-06-24, 21:38)MoonKid Wrote: The price looks the same. Pi 2 and 3 with the same price?

For a new purchase Pi 3 all the way.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-06-24, 21:39)MoonKid Wrote: Can you provide a link to the flirc and pihut thing?
Kodi Store provides direct link for purchase of case in US and UK/EU.
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
(2017-06-24, 21:43)DarrenHill Wrote: For a new purchase Pi 3 all the way.
Why? That is the question.
I am not interested in your opinion but in your arguments.
For the same price you get a slightly faster processor plus the built in WiFi and Bluetooth. Extra capability for no extra cost.

If I remember correctly the Pi 2 is only still available due to back stocks.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-06-25, 13:17)DarrenHill Wrote: For the same price you get a slightly faster processor plus the built in WiFi and Bluetooth. Extra capability for no extra cost.

If I remember correctly the Pi 2 is only still available due to back stocks.

The SoC used on the original Pi2 Model B is now end-of-life, so the Pi 2 has been re-engineered to Pi 2 Model B v 1.2 and now ships with the same SoC as the Pi 3. It doesn't include WiFI or Bluetooth, and is clocked at 900MHz, slower than the Pi 3's 1.2GHz default, but it now ships with the same processor. (I don't know if the new Pi 2B v1.2s with the Pi 3 SoC have SoCs that didn't pass clocking tests for the Pi 3?)

For info - I believe you can still buy most Raspberry Pi models - including B+s. The Pi Foundation re-engineered the Pi 2 to use the newer SoC to avoid it going EoL. There are some hardware differences that adding WiFi+BT made to the PI series - and companies sell products integrated into specific Pi models, so there were companies who had a requirement for a Pi 2 equivalent to continue (though the new SoC is 64 bit compared to the 32 bit SoC that was originally used).
(2017-06-25, 13:03)MoonKid Wrote:
(2017-06-24, 21:43)DarrenHill Wrote: For a new purchase Pi 3 all the way.
Why? That is the question.
I am not interested in your opinion but in your arguments.

The Pi 3 is clocked faster than the Pi 2 (both the original 32 bit version and the new 64 bit version) as a result GUI operations and other CPU-specific stuff will appear to be quicker on the Pi 3. Also integrated Bluetooth and WiFi are useful additions for many people (I use a Bluetooth remote control on one of my Pi 3s) The v1.2 Pi 2 has the same SoC as the Pi 3 - but clocked slower by default. I don't know if the same quality SoCs are used in both models - or whether the Pi 2 v1.2 has SoCs that aren't guaranteed to handle a 1.2GHz Clock, and instead are only specified to work at 900MHz. (Meaning overclocking a Pi 2 v1.2 to Pi 3 speeds may not be guaranteed)

HEVC decode performance - which is partially CPU-accelerated, with some GPU assistance - should be better on the 1.2GHz Pi 3. (Every CPU cycle counts for this)

H264/VC-1/MPEG2 and deinterlacing should be pretty much the same on a Pi 2 or a Pi 3 assuming you've bought the codec licences.
(2017-06-24, 21:38)MoonKid Wrote: The price looks the same. Pi 2 and 3 with the same price?
I would choose Pi3 because The Pi 3 is faster not because of its price.

Yes - that's how the Raspberry Pi foundation works. The Pi 1 Model B, B+, Pi 2 Model B and Pi 3 Model B all sell/sold for approximately the same RRP. However as there are people using older models in products, they don't instantly stop selling the previous models when they launch the new ones, nor do they heavily discount the old models. (Re-sellers with stock they want to shift may reduce older models' prices a little though)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi 2 or Pi 3?1