What equipment do I need for Winegard satellites?
Hello,

I'm new to this forum,and I apologize if I posted this question in the wrong place.I was wondering what equipment I would need in order for Kodi to work with a Winegard durastat d4 antenna.It would be perfect for my truck,but I would like to be able to plug the coax directly into my android device using an adapter,or plug the coax into my windows laptop with a usb adapter so that I can record my shows while using that android device.

Do I need a specific kind of receiver for this,or can I simply run the coax into the android or pc and install the kodi software?
You should post in the "PVR & Live TV Support" sub-forum instead. However note that the question is not what brand of antenna you have, as that does not matter. The real question here is which country you are located in and exactly which broadcast satellite provider(s) that you want to use. Since you did not mentionen country but I'm going to assume that you are located the USA, though it may suprise you that many if not a majority of Kodi users here (including myself) are not located in the USA and we would prefer not to have to guess which country you are located in and exactly what you wish to achieve.

I do not live in the USA but as I understand it, if you for example have DIRECTV, DISH, or Bell TV satellite TV programming then you might not even be able to use that with a simple (USB) TV- tuner adapter connected to a computer at all as those broadcast satellite providers don't support that. If you are not using those broadcast satellite providers then a (USB) tuner connected to a computer is normally what you need hardware-wise to get access to broadcast television from Kodi. If however you are using some other broadcast satellite provider then it might be possible using a (USB) tuner adapter connected to a computer running either Linux or Windows OS and a Kodi compatible third-party PVR backend software (TV tuner server software), and in those cases many Kodi users run a Raspberry Pi 3 as a dedicated PVR backend server (TV tuner server).

If you do have have DIRECTV, DISH, or Bell TV then could be that you might have to use a (USB) video capture device (such as example Hauppauge HD PVR 2) instead of TV-tuner adapter. Then you as a workaround connect the capture device your existing sattelite receiver via analog video cables to capture the video. In this scenario you have to use analog video cables as a workaround because they have no copy-protection.

Regardless you cannot plug the coax directly into my Android device using an adapter if you want to use Kodi. This is because Kodi do not have native TV-tuner capabilites, as it uses a client-server architecture (with Kodi only being the client part) and therefor need to use a compatible third-party PVR backend software (TV tuner server software) and there is no such software for Android yet that is compatible with Kodi. Instead it is the third-party PVR backend software (TV tuner server software) that have direct access the TV-tuner or capture device and can then stream the video to clients such as Kodi.

Read http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR and http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend as well as http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_FAQ which better describe the PVR client-server concept that Kodi uses and also links to all the PVR backend software (TV tuner server software) which is compatible with Kodi.

To summerize; you don't need to find out which (USB) TV tuners or broadcast satellite providers that Kodi supports directly as the answer to that is none, and instead you need to first find out which (USB) TV tuners if any support your broadcast satellite provider supports, and then after that you need to find which PVR backend software (TV tuner server software) support those (USB) TV tuners and which operating-system its device drivers support. The second part is usually easier as many PVR backend software support most TV-tuners so it can be more a matter of taste, but sometimes there are only device drivers for Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10 or Linux-only.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What equipment do I need for Winegard satellites?0