Win Mixed up profile screens
Kodi Version: 17.3 Git:20170524-147cec4

Problem: I have been running 17.3 for a little while now with no problem. I have two regularly used profiles (other than "Master"), one for my wife and I, and the other for my kids. Each has it's own libraries (so my kids don't go watching Deadpool or something) and it's own main menu/screens.
Today, when we logged into the kids profile, we saw the screens/menu for the parents' profile (there's a few differences in the menu options we've enabled as well as having different backgrounds for things). When we go into something like "Movies" or "TV Shows" it does go to the kids' content, so it's not mixing up library sources, however even after rebooting, it's still showing parents screens/menu items when we log in as the kids.
As far as I have been able to tell, everything is correct and as it should be in the parents profile, but it's a bit confusing to my kids, who understand how to navigate around in their profile, to see the different menu options.
I have tried adding a new "test" menu item in the parents profile and it appears to not be replicating any new changes to the kids profile.

Let me know if this is something that anyone has run into before and if there's a way to fix it. I don't mind having to go re-setup the kids profile, but I'd prefer to stop it from happening in the future if I can. Also, let me know if there's anything else I can test to help narrow down the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Quote:it does go to the kids' content, so it's not mixing up library sources
That's the function of profiles, to keep separate library listings. Profiles (wiki) and I'm staring at your post, wondering how to respond to something that shouldn't happen. A debug log might be able to point at the issue, it sounds like something is out of place or code has been damaged in some way. (I would be tempted to run a different skin for each profile) Might be a good idea to have a look at the profiles.xml in your userdata folder with a text editor with an eye towards some irregularity; check the wiki for information on locking and the code you would be looking at.

Knowing how serious this issue could be; suggestion 'This would be a trusted method'; set-up a http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable install for both parties and limit for those concerned sources and customise each as you see fit and use the mastercode lock up feature. Kiosk mode would disable the slideout settings menu, so as not to cause confusion.

I don't use profiles, so my take on this is limited, but others might be able to make suggestions that could be more useful.
I know, right?....very weird issue. Now, I have, in the past, had the issue with profiles getting entirely mixed up...libraries, menu items, everything...but never this "half mixed" issue.
I'll look into your suggestions and see what I can figure out and let you know.

If I did have to resort to setting up a portable install for each, do you know if there is any way to easily switch between installations without having both running at the same time? I know that you can set up a menu item to start/run a program, but I'm just worried about having one running in the background while a second one is running and playing video and it being a drain on the system or causing other problems.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll report back with what I find out.

EDIT - So, enabled debug logs, logged out and back in. I noticed this message in the log with what appears to be the correct timestamp and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it:

Code:
19:07:40.897 T:198832  NOTICE: special://profile/ is mapped to: special://masterprofile/profiles/Kids/
19:07:40.916 T:198832   DEBUG: CSkinSettings: no <skinsettings> tag found

maybe?
The code doesn't look out of place, my presumption is that in special://masterprofile/profiles/Kids/ there exists a folder called profiles and within that a heading called kids. this might be <skinsettings> but you need to post the entire log to a public paste-bin. RE: portable mode, you can only have one Kodi iteration running at a time, switching between would involve a shutdown, and restart. Syncing and sharing (wiki) this would become more important.
Looks like you were pretty close to correct on that, there was a directory called "Kids" in the "Kids" directory. It was empty, but it might have been causing some confusion. I've deleted that, changed the kids' profile menus and backgrounds back to what they were before and I've backed up the userdata directory in it's current state. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mixed up profile screens0