SOLVED - Q: re NFO - Superscript 4 character
Question 
All,

My Immediate question:

Regarding special characters in an NFO file: I have a file that I have named: "REC 4 Apocalipsis (2014)"

I would like it to display in the library with a superscript 4, rather than a standard 4.

I was able to load a superscript 2 - [REC]² - and 3 - [REC]³ - for the previous two films, but I can't seem to find the supported combination of characters that would support a superscript 4.

(I did a search for superscript 4 for UTF-8, but none seemed to work.)

What would be the correct nfo script? Huh

My long term question / suggestion:

Can we have a list of supported characters for the NFO files added to the Wiki as well?

UPDATE: @scott967 provided link for Unicode characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un...characters

Thanks!
Isn't that depending on the skin that is used?
I am currently using Amber as my default skin and tested it by creating a folder named "test ⁴ test". Amber showed the name with the 4 in superscript. I am using amber with the Trial font but I expect its other fonts will be fine too. AFAIK fonts are usually supplied with the skin and some skins use fonts with a limited character set.
Regarding the nfo file, just using ⁴ when editing the nfo file should be OK.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Sadly, that doesn't work where I want to use it.

It is independent of skins, as this is the nfo that is created for the film when the library is first scanned.

The .nfo that I want to modify is for the description of the film. Right now, it shows...

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<movie>
    <title>[REC]4:  Apocalipsis</title>
    <originaltitle>[REC] 4: Apocalipsis</originaltitle>

...and quite a bit more was in the file, but this is where the superscript character would need to be added.

As the description .nfo is a text file, trying to add a superscript 4 copied, or the alternate characters that should result in a superscript 4, the formatting is removed when the file is closed during editing.

So it is independent of the skin, at least in that point.

-------

Now, to address what I think you are saying:

I'm using Kodi 17.3, but with Confluence for my skin.

Are you saying that Amber provides more keyboard characters to choose from than Confluence provides?

If so, then I could download Amber, modify the film name with a superscript 4, and then overwrite my .NFO the next time that I save.

I'll have to give that a try... unless you can look in your "test ⁴ test" .nfo to see what character it wrote for eth superscript 4.

I'll test and reply back.
Try: "[REC]⁴" without quotes in the nfo file.

Then reimport the movie into Kodi. It should (hopefully) show: [REC]⁴
Add-on : Bluray iso utils Rewrite of BR_iso_enhancements
Add-on : BR_iso_Enhancements Give theatrical & directors cut from the same bluray iso each their own library entry, use bluray iso's of tv shows as if they are already ripped.
(2017-06-26, 04:35)Wimpie Wrote: Try: "[REC]⁴" without quotes in the nfo file.

Good idea... bad outcome.

In Win10, I'm editing the .nfo using wordpad. When I saved the file, it ended up getting rid of the special characters and I am left with: " [REC]?ü? "

And that ain't right.

----------------------------------------------------

Also, I tried the Amber skin option --- sadly, After loading Amber skin, it looks as if it has the same on-screen keyboard as Confluence.

So, having a superscript in the onscreen keyboard in Amber to provide a superscript 4 ... es no bueno.

I appreciate the ideas so far... very open to additional suggestions.
Don´t use wordpad for creating nfo files. I ran into other issues long time ago as I was writing NFO files for myself. Please read:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid...pid1761507

maybe that helps.
It seems more of an editor problem than a Kodi problem.
For text editing, I use XML Copy Editor or Notepad++ , both work. Although the default font in XML copy Editor shows me just a | character when I past the ⁴ into it, the nfo file shows the right character in Kodi when imported. When I change the default font in XML Copy Editor to another font like 'Consolas' that does supports this character, it is also shown correctly in the editor.

You don't need complex codes to place the character in the nfo file, just copy and past the ⁴ into the editor and even when it isn't shown correctly , Kodi wil import the right character. It depends on the font used what symbol is produced on screen.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
The encoding in those editors could be important, too. All explained in the link above. For the special characters I used myself I changed the encoding to "UTF8 without BOM"
The proper unicode is U+2074. This can be encoded in UTF-8 or other encodings depending on how you do your text editing. Kodi will handle UTF-8 encoded nfo files with or without BOM. How that codepoint gets displayed in Kodi depends on the skin font you use.

The text encoding issues I have had in Kodi are
1. Kodi won't read UTF-16/UCS-2 in nfo files but doesn't throw an error to log
2. Kodi can read m3u files encoded in UTF-8, but doesn't interpret the BOM correctly if the BOM is in the file. (There is no need for BOM in UTF-8 but adding it seems to be a windows "feature".)

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2017-06-26, 06:20)zebraitis Wrote:
(2017-06-26, 04:35)Wimpie Wrote: Try: "[REC]⁴" without quotes in the nfo file.

Good idea... bad outcome.

In Win10, I'm editing the .nfo using wordpad. When I saved the file, it ended up getting rid of the special characters and I am left with: " [REC]?ü? "

And that ain't right.

Like others said, wordpad is the worst choice you could make to do things like this.

Use notepad++. This is the partial contents of the test.nfo file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<movie xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<id>tt3616916</id>
<title>The Wave rec⁴</title>
<originaltitle>B├╕lgen</originaltitle>

How I got this : rec⁴

Install ember media manager (I used the ancient v1.3.0.20 version). Just scrape the movie with it (copy this movie to a temp dir and scrape it there). Edit (highlight the movie and press CTRL-E) the name of the movie in Ember with superscript 4. Exit Ember, copy the nfo to the correct location, reimport the movie (DELETE from the Kodi library first!). Should work (the font that your skin uses needs to have this character)...
Add-on : BR_iso_Enhancements Give theatrical & directors cut from the same bluray iso each their own library entry, use bluray iso's of tv shows as if they are already ripped.
Actually using notepad++ is only marginally better than using wordpad for this. Much better (if you do this often) is to use a freeware "babelpad". In this example, one quick way in babelpad is to enter the unicode codepoint value in U+nnnn format and use the convert U+ to characters feature to go

[ U+2022REC] U+2074
to:
[ •REC] ⁴

or if you don't do this much, use wiki to find the character you need visually then copy and paste it into your notepad++ document file.

scott s.
Didn't know about babelpad, thanks for the tip.

Used the second method, and copied this unicode char into the name field in Ember. Ember then saved the .nfo file resulting in "rec⁴".

Does copying [ •REC] ⁴ with notepad++ straight into the nfo file work (in Kodi)?
(2017-06-28, 01:20)Wimpie Wrote: Didn't know about babelpad, thanks for the tip.

Used the second method, and copied this unicode char into the name field in Ember. Ember then saved the .nfo file resulting in "rec⁴".

Does copying [ •REC] ⁴ with notepad++ straight into the nfo file work (in Kodi)?

Yes, but make sure that the file encoding is UTF-8 in notepad++ before pasting and saving.

scott s.
All,

Again, thanks for the responses. Here's what worked, quickly:

1) Downloaded Babelpad

2) Moved [REC]4 files out of scanned disk space, cleaned library, verified no [REC]4 in KODI DB

3) Opened [REC]4.NFO with BabelPad, inserted [•REC]⁴

4) Moved and rescanned into library.

** BAM ** There it is!

SOLVED: BabelPad was able to copy the formatted characters directly into the .nfo, and the characters placed there were recognized by KODI.

Of course, this means that I get to re-do the first three movies to add the "•" Nod

Again, I appreciate the interest and assistance this generated. I will also edit my first comment to include the Unicode Wiki link that @scott967 provided.

------------------------------

ps - @wimpie: Tried Ember a few years ago...It's rich, but overly-complicated. Since my main movie library is only 5000 films, like @DaVu, I prefer to search for my own posters and fanart if KODI doesn't pull up a good one. And creating an NFO, if needed.

(not a programmer, don't play one on TV. Tongue )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SOLVED - Q: re NFO - Superscript 4 character0