Kodi 17.3 on Win7: RIPPING CDs with AAC Encoder
Guys,
Been head butting RIPping my CD collection on a Raspberry Pi 3B using OSMC/Kodi 17.3 so installed Kodi 17.3 (32 bit (only one I could find)) on my Win7 system (still missing XP and it hates Win10) to complete my ripping.

Selecting the WMA encoder I was able to rip the CD I needed without any problems.

As I was having problems with OSMC I tried the AAC Encoder. This was a fresh install and only have a choice of two encoders, WMA and AAC.

Multiple times ripping with the AAC encoder it barfed at between 75..95% complete on the first track and sort-of stopped. Opening and closing the loaded DVD/CD player would re-start RIPping and again it would barf before completing the first track.

The problem persisted whether I was logged in as me with power user attributes or as Admin.

I have generated a log file covering this problem if required just found the advice on up-loading a bit confusing. I did try a search for "AAC" but its too short. Then I looked back a month or so but didn't see this one.

Edit: Now have a log file: https://pastebin.com/UPd9dJfy
Hi RaspiSteve and welcome,

Your question is a music issue, so I will move your post the Music forum, where the resident music guru may be able to help.

As for uploading the log, follow these instructions. Sounds like you have found the log, so just commence at step 2

6. Upload the results
The log file is named kodi.log and it is located in the Kodi directory described in Step 2 above. It is one level above the \userdata directory in which you modified the advancedsettings.xml file
You must locate this log file and copy it's contents to a pastebin type site as follows:
  1. Navigate to the \kodi directory as described in Step 2, and locate the file named kodi.log
  2. Open the file with Notepad and copy all the contents of the document
  3. Locate a Pastebin type site. Two examples are https://pastebin.com/ or https://paste.ubuntu.com/
  4. Paste the contents of the kodi.log file
  5. Press Paste or Generate
  6. When the screen refreshes with your paste, copy the entire address in the address bar and paste it into a new message in your thread
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Oops! Have removed this cross-thread content. Thanks.

Confused! Moderator moved my thread here so I'd best restore HIS good work and acknowledge his actions:

Content restored by RaspiSteve:

Guys,

This thread originally posted to the OSMC Forum and bits transferred here.

It all seemed to work before Kodi 17.2, I managed to Rip my entire CD collection to a USB stick and I was happy. Decided to buy a 32Gb SD card to transfer Kodi and the USB files to and also bought two new CDs.

I imaged a 32G SD using the June'17 image sourced via "raspberrpi.org/downloads link. I noticed a few features were now working (thanks guys) but Ripping CD was one that wasn't working now.

I'm using an external (mains powered) LG DVD drive. Kodi 17.3 will happily load/play Region 1 DVDs without issue (I'm Region 2). Inserting a CD gets the drive light flickering but little else. No play and no rip. I fiddled with the settings rebooted a couple of times but nothing. It looks like the DVD/CD drive isn't getting mounted correctly under Kodi 17.3 as I don't see "Disc" appear on the left menu nor the pop-up disc inserted menu.

Went back to the previous SD with Kodi 17.2 and was able to rip one CD and then (I think) it upgraded to 17.3 and wouldn't rip my second CD. I guess it's now a bit cranky.

I assume folk don't buy and rip their CD collection any more, I am over 65. Maybe I just arrived at Kodi at a bad time.

Follow-up post...

I went back to the Feb 2017 release and apart from being able to RIP a single (the first) track from two different CDs it was the same problem. Playing these RIPped tracks seemed OK except they both ended abruptly with a clunk. Was using the AAC codec (Also having problems with this encoder on my Win7 system. See my post in the Windows sub-forum).

I went back to the Dec 2016 and Kodi 16.1 release SD image. A whole lot different in every way. Using (more or less) the same settings: AAC codec @192 bit rate I had similar problems to using Kodi 17.1.

Changing the codec to WMA and same bit rate it and all worked as advertised and I was able to encode my two new CDs. I have yet to listen to them or add them to my collection because that'll be on my Kodi 17.3 SD card, another little challenge later.

So, returning to the Kodi 17.3 SD image (and this is only replacing the SD card from a 16.1 to a 17.3 bootable image and powering back on) I find the RIP and PLAY CD on loading doesn't work for me. Certainly "DISC" does not appear as with 16.1. For reference the 17.3 is as far as I can tell an out-of-the-box configuration except for me defining a saved music location (/home/osmc/Music), setting "Audio CD insert action" and defining the Codec to AAC and WMA.

Would (humbly) suggest the current start-up Wizard be extended to include options of "Where do you want your music?", "What Encoder?" and "What about CDs (remember them)?" so numpties like me get it right from cold.

So, it would appear that (My) Kodi 17.X doesn't work for me for either RIPping or PLAYING CDs with either WMA or AAC codecs although, as previously, it'll load and play DVDs (at least one US one). On loading a CD the drive wers and clunks a bit, the drive activity light flickers but nothing else happens. On loading a DVD I get the inserted disc pop-up menu.

On the same hardware Kodi 16.1 worked providing I specify the WMA codec. The Kodi 16.1 AAC codec would appear to be a bit cranky. Maybe both Kodi 17.X encoders are now cranky.

Another follow-up...

The following log file comprises:
Raspberry Pi 3B, 2.5Amp PSU, Wireless Mouse dongle, 32Gbyte SD, External (supply powered) LG Super Multi DVD Writer.

Have preset the Audio Encoder WMA, and CD RIP, enabled debugging and rebooted.

log file: Log file covering insert 2 CD and 1 DVD. No response to CD. https://paste.osmc.tv/lujelugero . The action on inserting a DVD was to bring up the "and do what with" menu.

Apart from the drive light flickering and noises of the CD spinning up there was no response on screen.

Second log file As per above but using AAC encoder, reboot, https://paste.osmc.tv/jehilopuca (open DVD drawer put in CD and close) x 2.. No response to CD being inserted.

Hope this helps.
Originally posted to the OSMC Forum and edited and copied here: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/kodi-17-2-17...cd/37558/6
Merged the two threads
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Guys,
Have edited my first entry to include a URL to my log file.

Hope it helps.
I always feel surprized when people use Kodi to rip their CDs when there are many better tools for the job. My prefered one is EAC, which can compress to FLAC and do accuracy checking using Accurip. It also does a databse lookup for tag data, although you could rely on taggers like Picard to do it all afterwards I like to get the basics like track names sorted as soon as possible (so I can see what the files I ripped are).

I have never even tried to play a CD with Kodi, the whole point for me is digital media, and I wonder how many other people do?

Bottomline is that I am not able to help you with your endevours other than suggest you use some other tools to create your digital media (using the most accurate and fast CD drive you can find), and then Kodi to explore and enjoy your collection.
I rip to flac with abcde (a better cd encoder)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I use Foobar2000 and rip to flac
My Signature
Guys,
Thanks for the input but you are attempting to explain something to a chap whose first record was "Tubby the Tuba" and now just wants to something he's already got do something he's done with it before. Madness for me is doing the same thing and expecting the same result.

I have a Raspberry Pi running Kodi and had used it a while back to convert my entire CD collection into files so that I could select music in my old age without having to rummage in a cupboard. When I started it was a version previous to Kodi 17.3, it had its issues but it worked for me. Now, after the clever people made it much better, which it is in some respects but in other respects its pants (perhaps in another post). In a nut shell, things that once worked don't now. The old fashion view of this is that its broken. However, given the inputs above it seems its broken in a way many people won't ever know about but this doesn't make it not broken. My hope in posting here, with logs, was that it could be mended.

I understood the point of posting here was to flag issues with Kodi so that the clever folk could mend it. I originally posted my two problems (possible the same problem from two aspects) to the Windows thread and the Raspberry Pi thread because those were the versions that weren't working for me. The moderator felt that my issue was a Music Support issue so moved my two threads here. That's OK.

To summarize, Kodi 17.3 won't rip CDs any more on my Raspberry Pi 3B (it did), it will only rip CD's on my Win7 system if I avoid the AAC encoder, the WMA encoder still works (at the moment). I don't want to have to load any more software on my systems than is absolutely necessary to do what I do. I really only want the Raspberry Pi system to work because its small and portable and also lets me play video of the kids without getting up off my arse or having to go to the office.

So, thanks for the suggestions but I'll stick to Kodi on my Pi 3B and cross my fingers for a fix. I have a work-around at the moment but its a pain.
Steve do something more useful with your hands than keeping your fingers crossed Smile
Quote:However, given the inputs above it seems its broken in a way many people won't ever know about but this doesn't make it not broken. My hope in posting here, with logs, was that it could be mended.
It is a fair view, that if Kodi offers a CD ripping feature then it is reasonable to hope that it works. However drawing attention to this little used feature has resulted in a discussion of whether the feature should exist at all. It is annomoly, Kodi does not rip DVD for example, and quite probably Kodi should not be offering users means to copy media at all.

So if anything happens, it will most probably be to remove the facility to rip CDs all together. No doubt that is not what you want to hear, but an honest answer to keep your expectations realistic.

Of course the dev team is a small group of volunteers that all have too much to do and not enough time to do it, so most likely is that nothing will happen regarding this at all.
DaveB,
Yep. Have already visited that future and its bleak. If we expect and rely on things that once worked on systems that retain the controls for those things and then they don't work we are all in trouble. Have you noticed vinyl is coming back?

Have already found the the great Microsoft's website is now un-readable to my XP browser which made getting the latest worm patch difficult. Windows 10? Is going to cost me again to get something that'll run without complaining that the graphics adaptor isn't supported. Still on Win7 and Ubuntu but then latest Ubuntu will no longer install on my Dell laptop.

If all these things stop working, there's no way back when it goes wrong.
Guys,
A result. My Pi3B Kodi 17.3 just got up-dated and the CD insert trigger now works and I can play CDs.

On a recommendation I tried the FLAC encoder and that too has got me being able to RIP a CD (only one tried so far).

So... a result although it looks like the WMA and AAC encoders don't work on the Pi 3B and the AAC doesn't work on my Win7. Better not suggest that some anonymous corporation out there is slowly nobbling these encoders.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.3 on Win7: RIPPING CDs with AAC Encoder0