using plex media server as upnp server for kodi
I don't want to download the plex add on or any of that stuff, I just want to set up plex media server as a upnp server on kodi. Seemed like it would be just as easy as adding any other upnp server, like twonky. But I can't get it to work.

I'm trying to do it just like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EepisLw-DyM

Only when I get to the menu that has the 3 folders of Music, Photos, Video. I can't click and open video. Do I need to set up my library settings differently in plex or something?
Hi BBE24,

Can you provide details on what you are trying to achieve?

I watched the video in the link, and struggled to understand why you would need to use Plex to do what Kodi does natively?

I haven't ever used Plex, nor tried to set it up, so I don't know what problem you are experiencing. Maybe it can be solved another way if you answer the above question.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Right now, twonky media server is installed on my main PC, and then we have tons of laptops and other devices that have kodi installed and I set up twonky media server in kodi on each device as a upnp server, and kodi is the client, and we watch movies on all of the devices. I'm basically just trying to swap out twonky media server for plex media server. And set up plex media server as the upnp server on my main pc, and then have each laptop and device running kodi as a client, connect to plex media server via upnp instead of twonky
Why do you need a media server at all?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Think that video is a bit dated 2014, XBMC has been gone for quite some time now. Try to setup with SMB SMB/Windows (wiki) and check out this wiki File sharing (wiki)
All of my files are on my pc. So I install a media server on my pc, and then I can stream all of my files with any device I want that's connected to my network as long as a client is installed, ie. kodi.
As @PatK states above.

Kodi does not require a Media Server. For your purposes, you definitely do not need one. Your setup does not use Kodi to it's full potential.

All you need to do is point your Kodi to where the movie and tv shows are, and let Kodi handle the rest.

Enable SMB/Windows file sharing then add the sources to Kodi as detailed here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_Media_Sources then perform a scrape.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
using plex media server as upnp server for kodi0