Add source for third party addons........sorry if a silly question.
Ok bare with me here.......and sorry if a silly question.

To add a third party repo I add the source first then download from zip then open from repo...........once I have my addon, and to save space on the hard drive I always go back to file manager and delete the source file.

Is this ok to do? It doesnt screw with downloads or updates for the addon since that has already been downloaded correct? Or do I need to maintain the source file under file manager always?
No, it is OK to delete it, but a repository file is tiny, so getting rid of it will save you damn all.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you delete the repo you won't get any updates pushed via it.

As @nickr says, repo files are tiny though. But you can delete the source link in the file manager though, although that's not the best way to grab repos either.

Which addons and repos are you referring to?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
No........I am not talking about deleting the repo.

I am specifically asking about the source files..........I delete these after to save space on my hard drive, but wanted to know if updates would be cancelled cause the source files have been deleted.

I have all repos and obviously all addons I want from those repos............so I am assuming once I have my repos and addons downloaded that updates will happen regardless if the source file is there or not correct?
You don't even have to add repos through sources.... you can simply download repo's zip file and transfer to your Kodi machine and install from zip....
What are these source files you're on about?
That is probalby source (in filemanager) that links to repository zip, so it can be downloaded and installed....
(2017-06-26, 17:11)DaLanik Wrote: That is probalby source (in filemanager) that links to repository zip, so it can be downloaded and installed....
Yeah that's what I thought he meant as well. If that is the case it's literally a line of text in a text file (sources.xml) which takes up no space at all, so there is no saving on hard drive space Smile

If you are talking about a zip file you have downloaded, as others have said you can delete it without it causing any problems.
Hi ok yes let me explain better Smile. And thank you all for your help so far.

When I mean source file........I mean under kodi to download any third party app you have to go to the cog wheel icon and ADD SOURCE..........this is where I type in the internet address and file name so I can go back and extract what ever repo I want from the zip file then download said addon from the repo.

So when I say SOURCE I mean the actuall HTTP addy you type in the beginning to get the whole ball rolling.

Once I have downloaded from zip and open repo then add what ever addon I wish to keep I have been going back to the ADD SOURCE section and removing the source. I just wanted to see if that was screwing anything up.

From what I gather its perfectly ok to do so and does not affect if a repo/addon receives an update
@Net123, yes that's perfectly fine as it's just a link, similar to deleting something from Favorites in your Web Browser.
You also don't actually need to do that. You can download it via any PC or similar as a zip file, then put it into your kodi device via a USB stick or similar if you want. As long as the zip file of the repo (or indeed the add-on) can be seen from the kodi box then you can install it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-06-26, 19:37)DarrenHill Wrote: You also don't actually need to do that. You can download it via any PC or similar as a zip file, then put it into your kodi device via a USB stick or similar if you want. As long as the zip file of the repo (or indeed the add-on) can be seen from the kodi box then you can install it.

(2017-06-26, 15:41)DaLanik Wrote: You don't even have to add repos through sources.... you can simply download repo's zip file and transfer to your Kodi machine and install from zip....

Smile
You guys rock thank you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add source for third party addons........sorry if a silly question.0