Another newbie needs help picking a box
Hi,
First of all thanks for this informative forum, and all your hard work
After reading through the threads on different hardwares avalible and with my budget I have narrowed down my choices to Odroid C2 or Osmc Vero 4K. Could people with experience / knowledge help me pick the right device. I will be using the box to watch films from my Qnap server and also use Kodi to watch TV.
I have noticed that Odroid have released a new device ODROID-XU4, is it worth paying a bit extra to get this one

Thanks for your help
The xu4 is not recommended over the c2.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi @rock6,

If you want to use Kodi to watch OTA free TV you need a box with an inbuilt ATSC / DVB - TV tuner that hooks up to a TV Aerial.
The only complete solution to that is WeTek Play2 with its built in Tuners.

If it is just IPTV (Internet Protocol streaming TV) then any box running Kodi would do so long as you set up links for such streaming and use the Kodi Addon - IPTV Simple Client

So which type of TV are you needing ?

As @nickr said the XU4 is not recommended. It does not get anywhere near the support of the other LibreELEC Kodi devices.

(2017-06-26, 22:10)rock6 Wrote: Hi,
First of all thanks for this informative forum, and all your hard work
After reading through the threads on different hardwares avalible and with my budget I have narrowed down my choices to Odroid C2 or Osmc Vero 4K. Could people with experience / knowledge help me pick the right device. I will be using the box to watch films from my Qnap server and also use Kodi to watch TV.
I have noticed that Odroid have released a new device ODROID-XU4, is it worth paying a bit extra to get this one

Thanks for your help

Avoid the XU4 for Kodi. The C2's AMLogic SoC has far better support in Kodi than the Samsung SoC used in the XU4.
(2017-06-27, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Hi @rock6,

If you want to use Kodi to watch OTA free TV you need a box with an inbuilt ATSC / DVB - TV tuner that hooks up to a TV Aerial.
The only complete solution to that is WeTek Play2 with its built in Tuners.

If it is just IPTV (Internet Protocol streaming TV) then any box running Kodi would do so long as you set up links for such streaming and use the Kodi Addon - IPTV Simple Client

So which type of TV are you needing ?

As @nickr said the XU4 is not recommended. It does not get anywhere near the support of the other LibreELEC Kodi devices.

Hello and thanks for reply

I should have explained that by TV I meant IPTV.
So now that I know XU4 is out of the equation, which one do you guys recommend between C2 and Vero 4K?
I like tinkering and don’t mind spending a bit of time setting thing up.
Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it.
Both will do the job well and get great support.

AML S905X - Vero 4K is more Plug N Play with everything included like Wireless remote and even a moulded TV mount for the device.
Further down the line it will support 4K HDR when the Linux (Nougat) Kernel is bug busted and updated.

AML S905 - C2 is more pick and choose what you actually need. It does have GigaE Ethernet vs 100M only on the Vero4K.
I use a Wireless MINIX A2 Lite Mini Keyboard remote with my C2 and eMMC flash. Makes for one snappy Kodi combo !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another newbie needs help picking a box0