v17 Live TV Issues - Trouble identifying source of problem
I have been using Kodi since XBMC Eden, and have generally been able to troubleshoot issues by searching through the forums, or on Google. I'm over my head this time, though, and I need some help.

I have two problems:

1. Intermittent "pausing" of Live TV (no buffering circle, just frozen playback for 1 to 15 seconds)- It only occurs when watching Live TV, and not when consuming any other types of media (DVDs, music, recorded shows, etc). The pausing could be a long ~8-10 seconds pause, and then resume for a few minutes before occurring again, or the video could turn into what looks like a super-slo-mo replay that is on-going. That kind usually requires a channel change, if not a reboot.

2. "Tuner No Longer Available" - When attempting to tune into some channel from the guide (A&E, for instance, seems to be a consistent offender), I get a long buffering circle, followed by the Tuner No Longer Available error. Playback never tries to begin. After playback fails, I can choose a different channel from the guide, and Kodi will usually play it fine, but the error message stays in the screen. The only way I have found to get rid of the error is to reboot.

I have several Windows and Android frontends on the same network, wired and wireless, that are working flawlessly. I am only experiencing these issues on the Raspberry Pi 3, and consistently with OSMC (current), OpenELEC and LibreELECon the same Pi. This is my first foray into a RPi frontend, so I am having trouble isolating the cause.

I believe this is hardware related to the Pi because it is the only machine I am having problems with. I would think that if it was the backend, NPVR, or Kodi, these problems would be consistent across all frontends. I am occasionally getting a brownout indicator on the Pi, and have considered getting a replacement Canakit (2.5A, 5V), but would like to troubleshoot before investing another dime into the hardware.

Could this be a configuration issue? Is it the HW? I have a multimeter, but have not found a way to check the voltage on the Pi. The power issue is also totally intermittent.

Setup:

Backend:

Windows 10 (Creator's)
Kodi 17.3
NextPVR 3.9.2
Plex Media Server
MCEBuddy

MB: Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 - 10/100/1000 Ethernet
CPU: Core i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX470,
RAM: Crucial 2133 - 8GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue - 4TB
Connected to wired Cat5 throughout the house - all switches are 10/100/1000
Cable internet - 100mbps/3mbps

Frontend:

RPi 3 B+
Canakit 2.5A 5V PSU
SanDisk Class 10 Extreme SD Card - 16GB
No overclock
Overvolt = 2 (although the problem was the same with no overvolt)
PVR Settings changed in AdvancedSettings.xml to no avail.
MPEG2 license is successfully purchased and installed
Nothing is connected to the USB ports
Currently using wifi, but problems persist with a wired connection
Deinterlace = Auto select (all modes are the same)
OMX and MMAL acceleration are both enabled.

Pi is plugged directly into the TV. Issues are persistent on multiple TVs from different brands.

Any help would be appreciated. I know you are going to ask for logs, so here are a couple to start. I am waiting to replicate the "pausing" issue, but in the meantime, here are examples of the Tuner No Longer Available errors. FWIW, I have read the posts from Sub3 that the error is generic. I get that. But would also like to have a usable system, so still asking for help.

Thanks!

Kodi Log 1 - Tuner No Longer Available

Kodi Log 2 - Tuner No Longer Avail While Playing
Update with new log file - just experienced my first issue with playback tonight, but this time it completely hung on a frozen screen. Log here:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/24960097

Checked the temp in Settings > System Information = 104 F

Thanks.
You're not alone. I also experience the same behaviour as you described on 1) and the one from you previous post, where it hangs completely, either on switching channels or stopping the steam.

My main problem is that I could never reproduce it while debugging was activated.

I didn't check your logs yet but did you have debug active?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone
@KlotX are you also using nextpvr?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
No. Simple IPTV PVR. I don't think this is related with the PVR subsystem, I suspect something with ffmpeg or video player, no foundation though.

Sent from my iPhone
No foundation - precisely.

Kingcoldcuts problem is only on pvr.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-27, 02:33)kingcoldcuts Wrote: OMX and MMAL acceleration are both enabled.

OMX is disabled by default on Pi3 and is recommended to be disabled.
It's only recommended on Pi0/Pi1 with their lower powered CPUs.
I had a similar issue with one of my Pis, where live tv just stopped working (HD Homerun + MythTV backend), while all others were fine. I figured it was a problem with the SD card, so I reformatted and reloaded Kodi. It's been fine since.
I am in between jobs right now, so I have the time necessary to devote to this thread. That being said, aside from the single failure during playback yesterday, I could not reproduce the issue while debug was active. Not being able to tune in certain channels from the guide, and getting the Tuner No Longer error is all I've been able to replicate so far. I will fire it back up today and see what happens. When debug is off, the intermittent freezing happens pretty regularly. Weird.

OMX and MMAL - I should have mentioned that I have had these set to all combinations of on/off. Freezing occurs regardless of the settings. I will, however, put them back to the default settings in the interest of troubleshooting from a default state.

I have reformatted and installed OSMC, OpenELEC, and LibreELEC, and still have the same problems. I have NOT tried a different card altogether, as I do not have one on hand. Again, I was hoping to troubleshoot all things software related before investing in replacement HW. I have suspected that the card could be the problem, though.

I will upload my logs upon additional issues experienced. There are many posts about TV playback lagging on RPis, and most threads fall end without a resolution. I am committed to trying any and all suggestions. Fire away.

Thanks, everyone!
Even though you say issue happens with wired and wireless, it would be good to test with wired.
Wireless just adds another source of buffering to the equation.
Okay. I have been waiting on a switch for my home office in order to run the wired connection. In the meantime, I have been running solely via ethernet when I can unplug all other devices from the wall.

I now have a pretty constant brownout lightning bolt appearing in the upper right hand corner. That started once the ethernet connection was made. It also showed up when connected via wifi, but not nearly like this. Before it would come on during channel changes, UI navigation, etc. Now, it stays on when playing back live TV, and nothing else.

As KlotX mentioned above, I have also been unable to reproduce the freezing while in debug mode. It does happen if I disable it, though. Any thoughts as to why that might be?

Other notes: I have disabled both hardware acceleration options.

KlotX noted that I am not alone - is anyone running the same setup I listed above without issue?

Thanks!
Had to sit here for a few hours, but was finally able to reproduce it. Here is the log file:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/25016384

Thanks!
(2017-07-04, 05:39)kingcoldcuts Wrote: KlotX noted that I am not alone - is anyone running the same setup I listed above without issue?

When I said that it was based on your description of the "pausing" issue, which I also experience a similar thing and it's hard/impossible to get debug log, but I don't have the same setup. Sorry for the confusion.
(2017-07-04, 05:39)kingcoldcuts Wrote: I now have a pretty constant brownout lightning bolt appearing in the upper right hand corner. That started once the ethernet connection was made. It also showed up when connected via wifi, but not nearly like this. Before it would come on during channel changes, UI navigation, etc. Now, it stays on when playing back live TV, and nothing else.

If the lightning bolt is appearing then your power supply is inadequate. The Pi is receiving less that 4.63V which is out of spec.
With incorrect voltage then any number of failures are possible including ethernet/wifi dropouts and instability.

You'll have to resolve that issue before debugging further as it may be the only cause of the problems you are seeing.
This would be a known good power supply to try (although many others are fine).
Thanks, popcornmix.

The CanaKit Power Supply is highly reviewed, and for the most part, recognized as being adequate. Barring any QA issues, the 5V 2.5A power supply I purchased should be enough to power the Pi.

So before I go and spend money on a new power supply, is there a way to test the Pi 3 voltage? I have a multimeter, but not sure where the leads are to test (searched around and found instructions for previous boards, but not the Pi 3). I'd also like to test the PSU, but not sure if there is a way to check it without cutting off the USB end. The cord is wired into the housing of the AC end. Is there a way to place leads into the USB male end in order to test voltage?

Any thoughts as to why this happens so much more infrequently when in debug mode? Did you happen to see anything unusual in the log files?

One other thought - I was under the impression that NextPVR was my only option to use my cable card enabled tuner. Would it also be worth exploring other PVR options?

Thanks for hanging in there with me! Would love to be able to pair some cheap frontends with my server, and was hopeful that the Pi might do the trick. If there are any other recommended frontend options, IO am all ears. Appreciate the help troubleshooting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV Issues - Trouble identifying source of problem0