Flirc USB-IR or Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC
I am getting a new Zotac CI527 (Kaby Lake i3, with no built-in CIR receiver, as they call it).

Which of these 2 devices are most recommended?

Does it come down to a preference of remote control type / brand? I currently have a Logitech Harmony which works well with Flirc, and the Pulse-Eight will enable me to use the Samsung provided TV remote.

Any performance characteristics differences? Any other considerations?

Thanks
I use the Flirc (new one) with a Sky HD remote (UK). This remote works great with the Flirc, and I don't have Sky TV, I use the remote as it works with the TV and has all of the PVR type buttons needed for Kodi. I have no complaints with the Flirc, the biggest issue I have is setting up the remote within Kodi, as you can set buttons to do different things based on the screen you're on. Took me ages to tweak this correctly.

This is repeated on all boxes, so no matter which room, same remote, same buttons.
I have used both and I prefer CEC as it is easier/cleaner with the standard TV remote. But since you have a Harmony, keep using your Flirc.
Like katsup, I have both. I also have a Zotac mini. The FLIRC works well so long as you remember where the unique buttons are programmed. It works well with AutoHotKey for launching macros. (I used to use it to launch Netflix, resize the screen and then shut down Netflix) With my new smart Television Netflix is built in.

The CEC control works wonderful on the new television, no more screwing around with Macro's. Of course since it's a smart android tv, I have SPMC installed, so I rarely ever use the Zotac, but it's still plugged in and hidden behind the television. For me, the CEC control is so much easier.
thanks guys, useful info.

i don't have either device right now. my current Zotac has a builtin IR receiver, which works with the Logitech remote. but i have some WAF "issues" when it doesnt power on all devices, in the correct order, etc (phone calls on the golf course, for example...!). i use OpenElec around the house for the HTPC devices, so no Windows, but do not launch external applications just stay within the Kodi UI.

just simplifying on a single remote would be great, but more importantly whichever works flawlessly...

also, do you have a multi-device setup? sounds like @cwh060 only has the 1 device, effectively.

i have:
tv
a/v receiver (also plugged in via ARC, so is the equivalent of CEC)
kodi HTPC

future-proof wise, i may want to add an apple tv, console, etc. any considerations here?
I find cec too limiting, as only a few buttons seem to be active from my tv remote. I'd go flirc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-28, 22:49)jingo_man Wrote: also, do you have a multi-device setup? sounds like @cwh060 only has the 1 device, effectively.
I only have one device. Unlike nickr, my TV has a lot of active CEC buttons.

Another thing to note is that when I was using the Pulse Eight CEC USB adapter with the Chromebox, I had to split the USB and provide it with constant power. It had something to do with the USB getting power after HDMI when it booted up. Unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in also got it working till next power off. This was a few years ago, so not sure if this has been fixed.
@nickr / @katsup - what tv do you have? is there a way to check / research if my tv (samsung brand) will have the same issue? the samsung remote has the main nav-pad, media controls (play, pause, etc). but some of the Kodi interface is driven with other buttons...

how is a CEC device mapped / recognised to Kodi?

From research the Flirc is loaded into the O/S as a USB keyboard, and therefore can map to Kodi buttons on that basis. With a Logitech remote, I could entirely customise the button layout as needed with their software.

the summary position would seem to be:
1. CEC is a simpler setup, using existing tv remote. it may not have as many buttons to control or mapped. best for a 1 device setup. Can hide these units, as dont need line-of-sight.
2. Flirc allows more customisation, adds in to existing Logitech setup and can be part of a multi-device setup. But needs Logitech remote / hubs ($$$ £££). And can add more complexity, may meaning "emergency calls" from the other half... And all devices need line-of-sight for IR commands.

do others agree?
No flirc does not need logitech, it will work with any IR remote, including the remote from your dead dvd player (which will have plenty of buttons). And you won't have the multi device setup of a logitech if you use another remote - although you could buy a cheap multi device remote like the all-in one remotes which are cheaper than logitech.

flirc is pretty good (so I hear, I don't have one) even behind a TV. Bounce and a sensitive receiver is good Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry all my TVs are LG. And I'll be the first to admit I have not explored CEC fully because I came across a line of cheap IR remotes that worked so well I bought so many I am embarrased to say how many of them I have in the cupboard.
@jingo_man

I have a Sony Television (with SPMC), SA Cable Box, Yamaha receiver, Zotac (W10 box, but not used) all capable of CEC using the Sony remote. Makes life much easier for my wife!
CEC is normally limited to basic navigation controls (u,d,l,r, select, back and maybe exit/home) and basic media controls (play, pause, stop, ffwd, rwd,skip, etc). If you need more advanced controls i.e. launching codec info and other shortcuts then the Flirc is the way to go, but if you only need the basics and you have a TV (or other CEC device) remote that has those controls on it then CEC will mean you can maintain a simple one remote setup.
I have 2 Panasonic TVs. Both pass the navigation, numbers, media and the colored buttons. With my father's cheap TCL, I only get the u,d,l,r, OK and exit/return.

I have used a Flirc v1 behind a TV and it worked fine. Flirc works alone and does not need anything Logitech. You could even tell your harmony that it is a VCR and after you program Flirc to recognize the buttons, it will work I think the Flirc would be a better (and cheaper) option for you. It use to go on sale a lot, but not sure if it still does.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flirc USB-IR or Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC0