Recommendations for a traveller
For the last 14 years or so I have worked from my home office. All of that time I have had KODI (XBMC as it was known in the original XBOX days). Anyhow I have taken a new job that requires a lot of travel. I'm terrified at the thought of having to watch hotel cable TV.

Can someone recommend a good Kodi box for traveling? I don't use streaming addons and don't plan on starting to either since hotel internet doesn't sound like a decent experience. Should I get an Android box and plug a USB hard drive into to (with my videos on it) or should I get a jumbo SD Card?

I just don't know... at the house here I have Windows PCs connected to all the TVs and I obviously can't travel with a Desktop in tow...

What are fellow travelers on here using?
how much data are you talking? there is this https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/meet-314gb-pidrive/
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Depends on the resolution of the media you want.

Personally I have a 4TB WD MyPassport drive of DVD rips connected up to a Pi zero with an IR diode on the GPIO pins for a remote receiver and it works beautifully.

Wouldn't work so well with Blu-ray/4K stuff but for my needs it does fine.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-06-29, 21:28)DarrenHill Wrote: Depends on the resolution of the media you want.

Personally I have a 4TB WD MyPassport drive of DVD rips connected up to a Pi zero with an IR diode on the GPIO pins for a remote receiver and it works beautifully.

Wouldn't work so well with Blu-ray/4K stuff but for my needs it does fine.

Definitely not 4K (720/1080). I only really need enough media to cover a few hours each night at a hotel over the course of 2 weeks a month. I imagine 500 GB or so would be more than enough, maybe even 350GB.

Is there a ready made box I could buy where all I have to do is plug in a USB hard drive? Not sure I'm gonna have the spare time to build out a Raspberry Pi and all that.
For flash memory, at that size, you're going to spend more on the card than the box. Stick with spinning rust IMO - 500GB of SD is $225 or so, I'd guess, but a real disk (if you can still get one that small!) will be a third of that. Indeed, you might even have a suitable 2.5" drive in a drawer or an old system - upgrade that to SSD, recycle the disk with a $10 USB enclosure.

I don't know how well Android plays with USB drives. Building a Pi, though, is just a matter of putting it in a box and installing LibreElec onto a flash card.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
A variation on what @bry noted above - look maybe at the PiDrive Node Zero plus its enclosure.

As the prof says, just stick LibreElec on it and either a USB or GPIO diode receiver for a remote, as from my experience hotel TVs are a bit hit and miss for CEC (wiki) (which the Pi does support).

Or just a zero with a 64 or 128GB SD card and drop the drive completely. I've got a 128GB in my tablet and it has ~70 films plus a few TV series too.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips! The more I think about it the more I think a 128GB sdcard might be fine for my use. I've got 2 weeks until I begin the new job so hopefully I can get a raspberry Pi setup by then.
I've you've the time/appetite to re-encode stuff, you could squash films down to 720p with RF22+ and even a BR source would be no more than a couple of GB per film - while still being perfectly watchable.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
I'd not use a 128 GB SDCard for the PI, if you go that route. For OS and a laaaarge database 4-8 GB are enough. I'd rather buy a smaller SD card with good IO and 4kb read/write speed than large card with bad IO on smaller files. Kodi has a lot of random access to smaller files, so a SD card with fast read/write in 4KB blocks is recommended. For data storage it might in general be a better idea anways to go with a USB stick if you don't want to go for a HDD. Stick is easily plugged to your PC to update the content, while the micro SD-card is not.

@Prof Yaffle - depends on the movie, but if you drop HD audio and only go for AC3/DTS or even only AAC 2.0/5.1 you can even get a 1080p RF20 movie < 5 GB - but depends on the movie (grain yes/no, complex or blurry backgrounds, ...).
I got hooked up with this and it seems perfect for my needs

It has multiple SDCard slots so I dropped a 128GB sdcard with some videos on it and kodi played them back perfectly.

I'm good to go.
If your Internet connection at home is fast enough, perhaps look into operating a VPN server as well as a NAS from your home so you don't have to pick and choose what media to cram on to your device, just log in and stream as if you were home on the LAN.
Pretty sure most VPN clients on devices should support the classic private/corporate style VPNs topology instead of just those pay services often used with banned addons.
From experience of a lot of hotel WiFi speeds that idea won't be usable due to the hotel network speeds locally regardless of the home network speed.

Kodi Blog Posts
The biggest (most frequent) problem i found in hotels is not wifi speed, but (in)ability to access another tv signal source on the hotel telly...
If you are traveling for work, do you have a laptop with HDMI out?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendations for a traveller0