Kodi standalone restarts every 30 minutes
I have an RPi3 with (I believe) the latest Kodi updated. I start manually with "kodi-standalone &" from command line because I ran into problems with auto-launching (different story). The weird and very annoying behavior I experience is that Kodi restarts about every 30 minutes, not precisely however, because it always waits for a video to finish and restart afterwards. This is true even if the video is longer than 30 minutes - Kodi very courteously does not restart mid-video, only after it's finished. I've gone through all the config files, but cannot figure out what's happening.. Can you please help?
debug logs (wiki)
Sry, I wasn't even sure this was a bug.. However since I've stumbled upon a crash log, it seems very likely..

Log upload file:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/24996577/

Crashfile (redacted):
https://pastebin.com/qi0UdbvV
Code:
15:11:29.046 T:1945772704  NOTICE: ARM mem: 496MB GPU mem: 512MB MPG2:1 WVC1:1

gpu_mem should be set at 256 for a 1gbRAM pi, only increasing to 320 max if absolutely necessary.

So basically, Kodi is OOM'ing after playback of the first file.
I set it to 512M based on a tutorial's recommendation because I had problems with some mkv/mp4 files. However, in the past days I've been testing with 256M and the problem persists:

https://pastebin.com/uPTDNnkD
Are you starting via ssh? If so if the connection gets closed, Kodi exits!
I start it once with "kodi-standalone &" so it keeps running in the background, then I exit ssh, and Kodi keeps working, but restarts periodically, independent of the ssh connection.
Process started via ssh, even on background like with &, are closed as soon as the ssh session closes. You have to use something lile "screen" for that.
May I suggest that for best results use libreelec or osmc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you all, I seem to have fixed it, using a combination of your tips.

Using ssh to start kodi-standalone was indeed one of the root causes, so I switched to a auto-launch at boot. However, this brought back my previous problem: no remote control. It wasn't straightforward to figure out that I was running ssh with user "pi" while the auto-launched kodi was running with user "kodi" using different configs, disabling the web interface that I had to re-enable.

I don't know if the suggestion about using a different OS than raspbian may have made the whole thing easier, but the current launch scripts are more complicated than should be..
(2017-07-14, 21:40)shp1 Wrote: I don't know if the suggestion about using a different OS than raspbian may have made the whole thing easier, but the current launch scripts are more complicated than should be..

A dedicated kodi distribution like libreelec or osmc would have just worked. That's why they exist.
(2017-07-15, 12:19)popcornmix Wrote:
(2017-07-14, 21:40)shp1 Wrote: I don't know if the suggestion about using a different OS than raspbian may have made the whole thing easier, but the current launch scripts are more complicated than should be..

A dedicated kodi distribution like libreelec or osmc would have just worked. That's why they exist.

Understood, I purchased the RPI with raspbian and kodi pre-installed, assumed it is in usable form..
(2017-07-16, 20:28)shp1 Wrote: Understood, I purchased the RPI with raspbian and kodi pre-installed, assumed it is in usable form..

Can you say where from?
It seems very strange to sell a Pi with kodi pre-installed and not to use a distribution designed for kodi.

Did it come with lots of add-ons pre-installed? (Your log seems fairly clean).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi standalone restarts every 30 minutes0