Kodi gets a mention?
(2017-07-06, 14:55)jjd-uk Wrote: The big problem is the bundling since the Sports channels are not available on their own with no other package, I have absolutely no interest in any of the Sky entertainment channels and yet I'm forced to pay for the basic package of entertainment channels that I won't ever use in order to get the Sports channels.

If the Sports channels were available independently with no other package for say £30, there would be much greater uptake IMHO.

The sports channels are available independently via Sky's Now TV service at £33:99 a month, but if you play the game by trying to leave and saying you can't afford it you will often get an offer to keep them at £20 a month for 3 months.
I'm currently in one of those offer periods then will have to pay the full price for a couple of months then go through the threatening to leave game again.
Ah that must of changed then, last time I looked they only did the day passes for sports on Now TV, however I can find no mention on the website that the streams are for the HD channels.
(2017-07-06, 17:07)jjd-uk Wrote: Ah that must of changed then, last time I looked they only did the day passes for sports on Now TV, however I can find no mention on the website that the streams are for the HD channels.
Now TV currently only stream at HD720 quality for all of their Sky Channels.
(2017-07-06, 15:11)christara Wrote: The ones to blame is the big company's.
They could cut it down a lot more which in hope gets the poorer people onside to subscribe because they can now afford it.
It could in the long term by reducing prices now make it more affordable to the average person it would take away the vulnerable people who have to turn to piracy in one form or another just to be able to watch?
Just noticed I omitted the word NOT in my previous post! lol

Aye, but what do Sky then tell the people that are already paying a higher subscription? Do they tell them they are not going to any reduction in price because they can obviously afford it? That's always going to be the problem with making things affordable to all.

The thing that really frustrates me with DVD / Blue Ray Costs is the difference in geographical pricing. For instance, a new Hollywood blockbuster movie released on BR in the USA might cost $15.00, but in the UK we have to pay £15. Nearly a difference of £4.00 for exactly the same product.

Add to that, when buying a digital movie from iTunes, Amazon, Sky Store or whoever you are tied to using each of their dedicated players to view the content you have paid for. Who realistically wants to do that? It's this restriction in itself that makes Kodi so appealing for many users. A single interface they can refer too for all their content.
Plus there is absolutely no guarantee the content you paid for to use on these dedicated players will actually be available to play for ever and ever if they suddenly stopped or changed their current service. In essence you are not paying for you're own personal copy of a digital movie. You are actually paying for a long term rental of a movie until such time that the terms of service might change. Imagine if you spent £6000 on digital movie downloads, only to discover that in 3 years time the terms of service might have changed and none of content you thought you owned will now play on these dedicated players?
(2017-07-06, 17:35)Dumyat Wrote: Aye, but what do Sky then tell the people that are already paying a higher subscription? Do they tell them they are not going to any reduction in price because they can obviously afford it? That's always going to be the problem with making things affordable to all.

I think yes they would see it has a bonus and it wouldn,t really effect them apart from saving some money but would benefit the poorer out there by then allowing them to afford it?

(2017-07-06, 17:35)Dumyat Wrote: The thing that really frustrates me with DVD / Blue Ray Costs is the difference in geographical pricing. For instance, a new Hollywood blockbuster movie released on BR in the USA might cost $15.00, but in the UK we have to pay £15. Nearly a difference of £4.00 for exactly the same product.

Add to that, when buying a digital movie from iTunes, Amazon, Sky Store or whoever you are tied to using each of their dedicated players to view the content you have paid for. Who realistically wants to do that? It's this restriction in itself that makes Kodi so appealing for many users. A single interface they can refer too for all their content.
Plus there is absolutely no guarantee the content you paid for to use on these dedicated players will actually be available to play for ever and ever if they suddenly stopped or changed their current service. In essence you are not paying for you're own personal copy of a digital movie. You are actually paying for a long term rental of a movie until such time that the terms of service might change. Imagine if you spent £6000 on digital movie downloads, only to discover that in 3 years time the terms of service might have changed and none of content you thought you owned will now play on these dedicated players?

Once again I agree, Should be one price for all regardless of countries and should also be playable where we (end user) want to play it.
Too many little things tying to certain company's or software.
And once again price is a factor since most are pricing out the poorer and its the richer being able to enjoy. (Another reason why they (Companies) push people into being pirates or some sorts or another?)
All my images can be found here LINK And can be downloaded in full?
(2017-07-06, 17:07)jjd-uk Wrote: Ah that must of changed then, last time I looked they only did the day passes for sports on Now TV, however I can find no mention on the website that the streams are for the HD channels.

As Dumyat said Now TV streams at 720P, as a quite a long time user of the service I'd say that watching sports via Now TV is a lot better than watching a broadcast SD channel but not as good as broadcast HD, this is probably because the bitrate is only 3.5 Mbps, I'd put their sports stream on a par with BT Sports online player but not as good as Iplayers best streams.
If you or anyone else are considering this option for Sky Sports I'd also say make sure you use a device that outputs at 50 Hz, on devices that only output at 60Hz framerate issues are very evident.
I've also found their own brand boxes seem the best option to get the best service, I've become convinced they use different servers for different devices, on their £10 2nd gen box or £30 3rd gen smart/Freeview box I get uninterrupted HD viewing but on my ATV 4 the service is appalling (so bad I deleted it from my device list) and better on the Windows 10 app but that does drift between bitrates which the Now TV boxes never do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi gets a mention?0