Nas hardware
(2017-07-06, 13:52)ravndude Wrote: What people fail to mention on why you would want to use a nas such as QNAP for kodi is high quality audio. Streaming destroys audio to 1995 Dolby digital levels. Anything higher must pass over hdmi. So if you have your own rips or download real rips with actually good audio (Dolby trueHD or DTS HDMA) then the qnap will pass the uncompressed 7.1 audio over HDMI to your receiver. And it will stream like every other silly android box out there. It's a fucking pc running Linux. And you can download and manually install your own kodi qkpg file. I think people should research a tad more before bashing really good hardware for a shitty android box. Jus sayin.

https://qnapclub.eu/

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

Exactly! I have a Qnap 5 bay (AMD) with 3TB drives. It sits in my back office and streams to a custom built HTPC via Ethernet wire to the living room. I have Kodi installed on the HTPC and it streams up to 4K resolution rips with DTS-HDMA audio flawlessly. Been running this set up for about 3 years now with zero issues. The HTPC has a Nvidia GTX 960 with HDMI interface.

The person who said that NAS weren't built for streaming is 100% wrong. QNAP builds some of their boxes specifically for streaming.
(2017-07-06, 13:52)ravndude Wrote: What people fail to mention on why you would want to use a nas such as QNAP for kodi is high quality audio. Streaming destroys audio to 1995 Dolby digital levels. Anything higher must pass over hdmi. So if you have your own rips or download real rips with actually good audio (Dolby trueHD or DTS HDMA) then the qnap will pass the uncompressed 7.1 audio over HDMI to your receiver.

That's a load of bull***t. I've been using Kodi with separate NAS and front-end -box since XBOX-days, and hi-res audio has worked as long as there's been front end hardware capable for doing that. Streaming DOES NOT destroy hi-res audio. I wouldn't even think about getting one box solution for NAS and Kodi.
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
Methinks people are applying different meanings to the (overused) term "streaming".
Guys, the language being used in this thread is becoming unacceptable. Keep it seemly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-06, 20:00)BoxFreak Wrote:
(2017-07-06, 13:52)ravndude Wrote: What people fail to mention on why you would want to use a nas such as QNAP for kodi is high quality audio. Streaming destroys audio to 1995 Dolby digital levels. Anything higher must pass over hdmi. So if you have your own rips or download real rips with actually good audio (Dolby trueHD or DTS HDMA) then the qnap will pass the uncompressed 7.1 audio over HDMI to your receiver.

That's a load of bull***t. I've been using Kodi with separate NAS and front-end -box since XBOX-days, and hi-res audio has worked as long as there's been front end hardware capable for doing that. Streaming DOES NOT destroy hi-res audio. I wouldn't even think about getting one box solution for NAS and Kodi.

Bluray quality level audio (DTS HDMA & Dolby TrueHD) are uncompressed audio. They require HDMI to pass through. That's great you won't think about it meanwhile we are doing it. I have this NAS. TVS-882T. https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/model.php?II=232

I have also used the 451 and 453 models. They are perfect as NAS and Kodi boxes.

Sent from my iPhone
Just an fyi. I'm using an almost 10yo 639pro that's been pretty flawless. I do have a gigabit lan though. Everything also works fine via WiFi on my R7000
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-07-07, 00:24)ravndude Wrote: Bluray quality level audio (DTS HDMA & Dolby TrueHD) are uncompressed audio. T
No they are not. They are lossless, but not uncompressed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-07, 00:24)ravndude Wrote: Bluray quality level audio (DTS HDMA & Dolby TrueHD) are uncompressed audio.

No - they are lossless compressed audio formats, not uncompressed audio. PCM is the uncompressed audio format used on HDMI. Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS HD High Resolution Audio are all lossy compressed.

Think of DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD as a bit like a ZIP file. They effectively compress the PCM audio data, but only in a manner that won't lose any original information.
I'm confused and don't get the point of last comments. Suppose that I have:
* A nas device where some media content is stored
* Nas hd shared over a good Ethernet connection through samba (or NFS, even better)
* A media player box with reads the media content from the nas shared folder and plays it
* HDMI connection between media player box and amplifiers and TV

Where do you think is the audio of my media compressed/modified? In principle it should not... Media player should be reading the original file as saved on the nas hd. Unless I'm mistaken, there should be no transcoding involved, no dlna, no other fancy stuff, just a shared folder from remote hd.

It should be using exactly the same video and audio codec as if I had a more expensive nas, directly connected through HDMI to ampli and TV. Am I wrong?
(2017-07-06, 22:21)nickr Wrote: Guys, the language being used in this thread is becoming unacceptable. Keep it seemly.

Sorry about that, but when a new user writes such misleading info on his first post, I just couldn't help myself.

I've never had media stored on my Kodi-box, and still hi-res audio works just fine. Confused
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
(2017-07-06, 13:52)ravndude Wrote: What people fail to mention on why you would want to use a nas such as QNAP for kodi is high quality audio. Streaming destroys audio to 1995 Dolby digital levels. Anything higher must pass over hdmi. So if you have your own rips or download real rips with actually good audio (Dolby trueHD or DTS HDMA) then the qnap will pass the uncompressed 7.1 audio over HDMI to your receiver. And it will stream like every other silly android box out there. It's a fucking pc running Linux. And you can download and manually install your own kodi qkpg file. I think people should research a tad more before bashing really good hardware for a shitty android box. Jus sayin.

That's not correct. I stream hi-res audio, including Atmos movies through my network to Kodi.
When he says streaming, is he meaning transcoding?
(2017-07-07, 14:55)GreySkies Wrote:

That's not correct. I stream hi-res audio, including Atmos movies through my network to Kodi.

Atmos is an audio format. I'm extremely curious how you think "high res audio" is gonna make it to your receiver over Ethernet.

Sent from my iPhone
It doesn't, it's read from the NAS and output to receiver from the playback device.
(2017-07-06, 20:00)BoxFreak Wrote:

Please explain why all internet streams of movies from any provider legally or illegally involves nothing more than good ol 90's Dolby digital.

Sent from my iPhone

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nas hardware0