How to open compressed files
If you have Kodi running on "other systems" then the split file support should be the same across the board, in fact it seems a better solution than your rar suggestion since that is only supported on a spin off of Kodi on particular platform/system.
note that the OP is asking about compressed rars.
Kodi supports uncompressed (store only) RARs, but not compressed ones. In v18 you need the vfs.rar addon.
(2017-07-07, 21:03)jakejm79 Wrote: If you have Kodi running on "other systems" then the split file support should be the same across the board, in fact it seems a better solution than your rar suggestion since that is only supported on a spin off of Kodi on particular platform/system.
Kodi is not the middle of the world. Any built-in player of a TV, which is might be fully capable of playing MKVs or AVIs, will have problems with that. The rar-solution is not my solution, but it is a workaround to leave the file as is (without breaking its integrity), so you would still have it perfectly fine for any other device (except this shitty FAT32 stoneage device) no matter whether kodi or wdtv or television player or blu-ray player, by simply un-rar-ing it. Why destroying a media-file just for one single device that can only handle FAT32... you'd heal one disadvantage (fat32) with another (splitting, what is not meant to be split), just for a device which probably is one of the last of its kind.

@wsnipex
You are completely right about this. I simply guessed that he equals compression with rar-extension. However... no one here knows what he actually wants. What I was talking about was just an example as a use-case which is actually in use. I'm no fan of movies in rar. Store only (uncompressed rar) is anyway the best how to deal with it, as in such a case (as workaround) it is more or less desirable to split it as fast as possible --> simply save it as fast as your HDD/SSD is capable of.
(2017-07-07, 23:59)infinity85 Wrote: Kodi is not the middle of the world.

No but it is central to this forum, I'm not sure that complaining that other companies software doesn't support features that Kodi does in a Kodi forum is really going to gain any traction, take those discussions to the relevant forums for the other software.
Somehow i think you miss my point. There is absolutely no complaining from my side at all. I was just giving an example about why RAR might be mentioned by the OP and then I was wondering why a discussion about this started anyway.

I suggest you read my posts again (from a different point of view probably, more objectively).
This thread has reached it's useful end and is closed. If the original poster wants more help he can start a new thread with proper information.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to open compressed files0