Kodi can be a pain, or so it seems here...
Most sites I frequent, including a leading cannabis site where I an admin, do their best to attract new members, usually by being polite, clarifying any misconceptions as they arise without being blunt or rude. Seems you guys missed that memo.

I asked about VPN beause every second tv-box site mentions them - your mods neeed to get out more. Alll I wanted to know is should I use one, if anyone else here uses one, and the problems I was encountering tryingto set up myKODI to run through the private service. My posts were moved as off-topic, and now I see why. The mods who belittled me came across as if I was asking how to roast a kitten,mostly because I failed to include the magic word (pssst....kodi) so mypost was not ON-TOPIC. From my pov it seemed PVN;s are a must have, so I thought hey, I'll look up a decent kodi forum for help. Big mistake coming here. Oh I know and hope they kill mmy account here, and also am not naive enough to think this will be posted for more than mere fempto-seconds (you mods can look that one up).

So,a big thanks for your rude, useless responses.
(2017-07-07, 01:54)CarpetShark Wrote: Seems you guys missed that memo.
Just our luck again...

(2017-07-07, 01:54)CarpetShark Wrote: I asked about VPN beause every second tv-box site mentions them, your mods neeed to get out more
Geez, I just wonder why so many people need their internet access to be encrypted? And 'get out more'? As a personal (not as Kodimember) reaction: who are you, really, telling people what to do? You are asking us if you need a VPN, and we're the ones that need to get out more? Sure, bud.

(2017-07-07, 01:54)CarpetShark Wrote: Alll I wanted to know is should I use one
We don't know you, so we have no idea what your wishes are. Frankly, we don't want to know. So we cannot tell if you need one.

(2017-07-07, 01:54)CarpetShark Wrote: From my pov it seemed PVN;s are a must have
So why ask us in the 1st place?!? Why a must have? Do you have something to hide? It's called a VPN, by the way.

(2017-07-07, 01:54)CarpetShark Wrote: So,a big thanks for your rude, useless responses.
Come on... You're making us blush.
If you want to talk about Kodi, this is a perfectly good place to do so. It's really not a bad place.

If you want to talk about using Kodi to play content illegally, this is not a place to be. I'm sure you can figure out why people correlate VPN with illegal content.

FWIW, I do not use a VPN and have been using Kodi, legally, for YEARS.
I use a VPN for work. I also use Kodi. Kodi works with or without the VPN. Go read a forum about the various VPN services to find one you want. If you post here, people expect Kodi issues or questions, not some random internet question.
As noted in both this thread and also the previous one referred to - we do not provide VPNs, nor do we suggest, recommend, endorse or support them as for general operation Kodi does not need them.

There are certain usage cases where VPNs are usable, but most of them are for scenarios we want nothing to do with here (attempting to hide access to illegal content or circumventing geo-blocking being the two main ones). Yes there are scenarios where there is a legitimate case (for example connection back to your own personal home network to access media stored there) but generally in those cases you'd need a VPN server set up at home, and if you're savvy enough to do that then you're savvy enough to set up a client too. Plus in such cases the VPN would be running and the OS level, and so the fact that it's being used for Kodi is entirely irrelevant.

Lastly the VPN services fall into two categories - paid and free. For the paid ones, the point is you're giving money to a 3rd party to provide and support a service. Hence they should be providing the support in such cases as you're paying them to do so, not us. And as for the free ones, in most cases they're either next to useless or have some other visible or underhand way of gaining money from your usage, but again they are providing the service and not us, and so if they cause problems then it's up to them to fix them.

Your case scenario is like you buying a map subscription from Garmin or whoever for your car's built-in sav-nav and you then going to your car dealer and expecting them to fix it if it's missing road information...

To reiterate the main point here - we do not provide VPNs, nor do we suggest, recommend, endorse or support them as for general operation Kodi does not need them. And we get pissed off with people asking almost as much as we do with people asking about piracy add-ons, hence the response that can be given sometimes.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Wow, I've never seen someone get so upset about a post simply being moved to a different section of the forum!
A bit of an overreaction if you ask me.

And you have answered your own question (wrongly imo) so why ask it in the first place.

I see no.use whatsoever for vpn or the likes
hmm - carpetshark- being an admin of a leading cannabis site I would have thought a more chilled response was appropriate - what are you like without the weed man !
VPN's aren't (usually) necessary unless you have something to hide - if you provide a legal reason for needing a vpn then maybe the convo can proceed in a positive manner otherwise you will get no help here.
Or you could just throw another tirade and ask for your account to be deleted - either way, I got my popcorn ready Smile
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
Memos around here are done on pink post-its.

Quote: From my pov it seemed PVN;s are a must have

What for?, Kodi isn't weed but can be addictive. perhaps there's a bit of cross-over from your business and you're just being proactive?
I'll play devils advocate.

New laws in my country allow ISP's and any other data collector to sell data pertaining to me to the highest bidder. If I was a data miner, I'd dig as deep as possible to obtain really good down to the nitty gritty data. I don't like robocalls and telemarketers at 9PM because the caller is in a 6PM time zone 18 hours in advance on the other side of the world hoping I'll open my wallet to them. I don't like emails from Lord knows who clogging my inbox in an attempt to get chummy with me by replying. I hate speaking on the phone only to be interrupted by some clown claiming he's returning my inquiry from six months ago to clean my carpets, except my home is all wood flooring. It got to the point if I visited a site or google searched abnormal keywords such as 'Underwater basket weaving', within hours I'm bombarded with diving adventure packages, knitting utensil sales, and low priced plastic storage containers in bulk.

What does any of this have to do with Kodi? Absolutely nothing, except..... many of us don't use our platforms dedicated for Kodi only. Kodi is just part of our computing experience. So it has to work in harmony whether it wants to or not unless you go the dedicated route. A decent VPN cures 99% of the internet problems when computing of which Kodi is part of for some of us if not most.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
If you're using a free VPN then you're swapping one possible data miner for another certain one.

And if you're paying for a VPN, then you're paying them to support it, not us.

And your last paragraph is also rather the point as well. We support kodi, not your platform nor anything else you may bolt onto it for whatever reason.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
It is right now. I am unable to stream most of the channels.
(2017-07-10, 08:44)DarrenHill Wrote: If you're using a free VPN then you're swapping one possible data miner for another certain one.

And if you're paying for a VPN, then you're paying them to support it, not us.

And your last paragraph is also rather the point as well. We support kodi, not your platform nor anything else you may bolt onto it for whatever reason.

You wouldn't recommend a vpn for kodi? I have a paid one. Is my problem due to the use of vpn? Coz I am unsure of it since I am new to it and I followed a guide for the setup but it was working fine initially but now it is causing some stream related issues. I am unable to tell what is the actual reason since, on streaming, the screen is just showing loading/buffering logo
Where are the streams coming from?

If using them requires a VPN then they are not something we support, as we do not support either piracy or circumvention of geo-blocking.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi can be a pain, or so it seems here...0