Best way to incorporate music / playlists from Media Monkey?
So I've so far only really used Kodi as a front-end for Movies and TV Shows, but would now like to figure out how to best hook in Music.

Here is my setup:
- NVidia Shield as my client device, with Kodi (and the Emby addon) installed
- Windows PC as my server device, with Emby Server installed (and all of my Movies / Shows / Music saved on it)

On my PC, I use Media Monkey to manage my music content, and is where I have numerous playlists created. I also have Emby connected to my music folder, so it's able to see my music content. However, I haven't found a way for Emby to interact with my music playlists that I created in Media Monkey.

My goal would be for me to be able to have a Music category in the Kodi home menu, which would allow me to browse through my entire music collection, but to also have the ability to view playlists that I created inside Media Monkey on my PC.

Is something like this possible? If so, how should I go about doing this? Should I keep Emby in the loop and have the Kodi Emby addon pass through the music? Or is there another way?
I googelt "Mediamonkey playlist in emby" first hit is a link to the emby forum

Quote:Hi, we don't currently support m3u playlists but this is something we'd like to do in the future. thanks !

Quote:We have not yet added support for music playlist files, but it is something we'd like to do in the future. thanks !

offtopic starts here...

I really dont understand why so many here use emby, which is basically just a database for Movies and stuff (right?) I dont know emby just had a quick look at it right know, when Kodi did exactly the same, building a database and provide a nice gui for it...
so its just one (unnecessary) step more, because Kodi is using a external DB and not his own, makes absolute no sense to me Smile
but thats just my 2cent

edit: I just need to copy the .m3u file, i saved from foobar to .kodi\userdata\playlists\music, and done Wink (ok i need to change "\" to "/" with notpad++ ,but its just 1 sec of extra work)
Agreed.

I don't understand people trying to use products like Twonky, Emby, Plex etc to try and do what Kodi does so well without assistance.

Then try explaining that those products are not needed, and they respond as if I am crazy...
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-07-07, 21:29)meowmoo Wrote: I googelt "Mediamonkey playlist in emby" first hit is a link to the emby forum
Quote:Hi, we don't currently support m3u playlists but this is something we'd like to do in the future. thanks !
Quote:We have not yet added support for music playlist files, but it is something we'd like to do in the future. thanks !
offtopic starts here...

I really dont understand why so many here use emby, which is basically just a database for Movies and stuff (right?) I dont know emby just had a quick look at it right know, when Kodi did exactly the same, building a database and provide a nice gui for it...
so its just one (unnecessary) step more, because Kodi is using a external DB and not his own, makes absolute no sense to me Smile
but thats just my 2cent

edit: I just need to copy the .m3u file, i saved from foobar to .kodi\userdata\playlists\music, and done Wink (ok i need to change "\" to "/" with notpad++ ,but its just 1 sec of extra work)

(2017-07-07, 21:38)Karellen Wrote: Agreed.

I don't understand people trying to use products like Twonky, Emby, Plex etc to try and do what Kodi does so well without assistance.

Then try explaining that those products are not needed, and they respond as if I am crazy...

Well so the main reason being that an Emby Server backend can handle multiple Kodi client front ends. My understanding is I'd have to mess with a MySQL database if I wanted to do the same all within Kodi. Is that what you two are suggesting? But right now with my Emby Server setup, I can have my living room TV, bedroom TV, android phone, my parent's living room TV (in another state) each have an instance of Kodi, that all pull from the same Emby database. So I'm able to have Emby user profiles that can log into any of those Kodi client locations, and all the watched statuses of shows and movies will move with that Emby user. I just want to confirm that you're indeed talking about the MySQL method, as opposed to something else I might not know about.

As for back to my original question with music, what are people's thoughts on this:
- Have Emby still handle the music library, and then let the Kodi Emby addon sync that music list to Kodi
- Have Media Monkey export .m3u playlist files to a network share on my PC, and then have the android TV instance of Kodi pick up the network shared folder that contains just the playlist files.

Could something like that work?
Hello Magic815,

My apologies, my comments were not specifically directed at you. I just picked up on the comment from @meowmoo and added my experience dealing with some members that try to implement these systems and complain there is something wrong with kodi when it doesn't work.

I shall let the music guru's in this sub-forum help you with your two questions Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You can export .m3u files from mediamonkey (and it's undocumented, but the files can be exported as m3u8 UTF-8 encoded if you need unicode character support -- in fact that's the way I do it for Kodi, as Kodi can't export UTF-8 in m3u files). But the question I have, if in your setup are the file paths in the .m3u files resolvable?

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2017-07-07, 23:51)scott967 Wrote: You can export .m3u files from mediamonkey (and it's undocumented, but the files can be exported as m3u8 UTF-8 encoded if you need unicode character support). But the question I have, if in your setup are the file paths in the .m3u files resolvable?

scott s.

Could you elaborate what you mean by your last sentence? My thought was I could dig into two options:

1. I would have Media Monkey export my playlist .m3u files to a specific 'Playlist' folder that resides on my PC, but the folder would be made as a network share. I would then have the Android TV Kodi instance have that network share as one it's sources. My thinking is then Kodi on my Android TV should be able to see that path, and since it gets the music files from the Emby sync, it might put two and two together?

2. I would set up the NVidia shield to have it's internal storage show up on my PC (maybe via this approach). I'd then have Media Monkey export my playlist .m3u files to the internal storage of the Shield directly, and then have the Kodi instance on the Shield just pickup up the source from it's own internal storage.

Any reason one of those two methods wouldn't work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to incorporate music / playlists from Media Monkey?0