[SOLVED] Kodi crashing daily, even when passive (Win10)
There was an unfortunate mishap with my original post, so I'll try again.

I'm at the end of my rope here. Kodi crashes daily, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It mostly happens when just sitting there, not even doing anything. I'm not quite certain wether it is actually Kodi, or Windows 10 causing it. At this point I have no idea anymore where to go next or what to investigate. So I finally turn to the community for help or guidance. Utorrent also does the same thing, but they don't neccessarily crash simultaneously so I don't know if there is a (cor)relation. I have no utorrent related addons installed.

The debug log file got a bit big for my browser to handle it on pastbin, and I included dump and windows event viewer crashlogs - so I had to dropbox the files - I apologize for this inconvenience.

Kodi full debug log (boot to crash)

Kodi crash dump file

Event viewer crash logs (zipped)
-
NOTE! The full unadulterated debug log is right there, from boot to crash, so anyone can see every addon. The build is from here (official site) and the only addons from repository.schismtvaddons are Estuary SchisM MOD skin and Konfluence skin. Merely pre-Krypton GUI familiarity with newer (Krypton) functions. So please don't boot this thread just for unfortunate indirect relations.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Often random crashes across different applications is hardware related, and pretty hard to diagnose. First thing I'd do is make sure your system isn't overheating. Get a decent blower and blow out all the crud. Do it outside if you want to continue your wife talking to you Wink

Next I'd look at drivers. Perhaps try libreelec on a USB drive for a couple of days and see if it is stable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I might misunderstand what you mean by it, but it doesn't appear that random. It will crash at least once a day, vastly predominantly when idle (the very few crashes when in use are of different nature (Kodi hangs, but no program crash), so probably not related. Also this only happens to Kodi (and utorrent), not any other application, even if the unit sits powered on without a reboot for a week or more.

Its a BeeBox NUC, with active cooling. Very recent build, but opened it just now for due diligence and no sign of dust or other buildup at all. Temps never go above 62'C on hottest core at full synthetic load for 30 mins, 41'C max recored on the SSD. CPU idles at around ~28-30'C.

Only changes of note is Win10 creators update and installing the current Kodi build. But I don't think its related, as it crashes like this up to several times daily, and it must have been at least a few weeks running afterwards, that the first crash like this happened.

I'm not able to be running libreelec of a stick the next week, but I'll line it up for trial after that if I'm unable to resolve this by then.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Ok well two updates, operating system and Kodi. Again I suspect drivers. When Windows updated, it may have substituted generic Microsoft drivers for manufacturer specific drivers, the video and audio drivers being the first ones to check.

You wouldn't be the first person to have problems with the creators update.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
LOL @nickr, I love your comment "When Windows updated, it may have substituted generic Microsoft drivers for manufacturer specific drivers" when in fact, that is exactly what it does. You are being too kind to Microsoft.

Update at a minimum your Graphics card and your Audio card, but you might also look into Chipset drivers, NIC drivers, and hell, even Bios drivers. All can fix these kinds of problems you describe. Do one at a time, and reboot after each and test. Its the only way to verify if it fixes the issue (and doesn't introduce other problems).
Not enough of a windows guy to be as absolute as you. Thanks for your input.
(2017-07-09, 00:20)pr0xZen Wrote: There was an unfortunate mishap with my original post, so I'll try again
No, it was not unfortunate. You are using a repository which has a questionable ring to it, to say the least.
(2017-07-09, 01:23)nickr Wrote: Ok well two updates, operating system and Kodi. Again I suspect drivers. When Windows updated, it may have substituted generic Microsoft drivers for manufacturer specific drivers, the video and audio drivers being the first ones to check.

You wouldn't be the first person to have problems with the creators update.

(2017-07-09, 01:34)Powerhouse Wrote: LOL @nickr, I love your comment "When Windows updated, it may have substituted generic Microsoft drivers for manufacturer specific drivers" when in fact, that is exactly what it does. You are being too kind to Microsoft.

Update at a minimum your Graphics card and your Audio card, but you might also look into Chipset drivers, NIC drivers, and hell, even Bios drivers. All can fix these kinds of problems you describe. Do one at a time, and reboot after each and test. Its the only way to verify if it fixes the issue (and doesn't introduce other problems).

Good catch. It indeed had substituted most of my drivers. Originals installed where neccessary, fresh ones where available. And registry entry to block future driver mishaps of the MS variant. Now the waiting game Smile

(2017-07-09, 01:56)Klojum Wrote:
(2017-07-09, 00:20)pr0xZen Wrote: There was an unfortunate mishap with my original post, so I'll try again
No, it was not unfortunate. You are using a repository which has a questionable ring to it, to say the least.
It was most definitely unfortunate, for both of us. You didn't boot my thread on reasons of "questionable ring" - you booted it clearly and specifically on "Rule violation". And none of the components that make up neither my Kodi install nor that thread, are in breach of neither this forums Piracy Policy, nor the forum rules. As evident by both the thread and the complete debug log you based that decision on. If you're gonna boot threads on sole basis of a repository, at least give forum users the courtesy of staying updated in the complete addon repertoire of that/those repositories - or change the rules to include a list of complete repository bans. I have nothing but respect for the Kodi Forum, Team Kodi and the brand. I would never drag that crap inhouse, and take offense at having that label forced on me undeserved.
The following entry in your debug log is the cause for concern...

Code:
02:41:58.672 T:1056  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.schismtvaddons

Could you educate us, so we don't jump to conclusions in future?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
There is a difference between the schism tv build and a repo with some add-ons in it. Proxzen was very specific about what add-ons from that repo were installed.

What the wider repo has I do not know. But it seems unlikely to affect proxzen's problem.
(2017-07-09, 02:35)Karellen Wrote: The following entry in your debug log is the cause for concern...

Code:
02:41:58.672 T:1056  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.schismtvaddons

Could you educate us, so we don't jump to conclusions in future?
As nickr mentioned, I was quite specific (see last lines in OP). But for detail and future reference:

Installed addons:
  • skin.estuary_schism - "Estuary SchisM MOD" skin
  • skin.konfluence - "Konfluence" skin
Both are Krypton-updated skins functionally, with "pre-Krypton asthetics".

Other repository content:
  • skin.tvOS-X - "SERENITY for Krypton" skin
  • skin.androidTV - "Android TV" skin
  • skin.kodiflix - Netflix Metro app resembling skin for Kodi
  • plugin.image.easywallpapers - Wallpaper plugin
  • script.ezmaintenance - Tool for clearing cache and thumbnails, purge packages etc

I dunno what else to tell you guys, thats it. Thats all there is on this repository, and i just updated it to make sure. As far as I can tell, there is nada there even relating to piracy. As nickr mentions, there might be some schism tv kodi build that is shady - but as far as piracy, this repository is as clean as repository.xbmc.org
@pr0xZen

Thank you for you patience and explanation. Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Karellen

Any time. Looking at the "Fully Loaded Kodi Box" spam on youtube and most other corners of the internet, and the bloated "Garbage & Rule Violation" section - I can fully understand that these likely are frustrating and hectic times for mods. Makes having sound intel all the more important for precise and efficient moderation. We all contribute where and when we can. To me, that is what makes this place greater than the sum of its parts Smile

Note: Thread topic already has some significant and useful posts, thus holds value for future user reference. At your discretion, maybe consider splitting content. This got very OT (over 50% of posts so far), but "the OT content" might still hold value for other mods (?)
So as mentioned, Windows 10 Creators Update pretty much replaced all my drivers with MS ones. So I reinstalled all of them, with fresh ones where newer was available. I also noticed Bitdefender AV was attacking a windows process (no idea how I missed that notifaction?), seemingly related to some shady drivers (false positive, only available driver solution for a certain BT gamepad). I whitelisted these at the same time as reinstalling drivers. Should probably have taken the drivers one at a time for a more forum friendly answer/solution - but done is done.

~48 hours now without a Kodi (or utorrent) crash. Not certain what did it, but most likely the MS drivers with Creators Update was the culprit. I now also did a registry mod to disable Windows automatic driver updates in the future.

Thanks for helping out guys!
No problems. Glad you got it working again Smile
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Kodi crashing daily, even when passive (Win10)0