H.265 and CPU usage
Hey all.

I use a Lenovo small thinkcenter think it is called M73. I has a Core i5 2.9 ghz cpu and 8 gb ram and a 128 GD ssd.

I have my content on a WIndows server 2012 R2 with a linux share.

When i play h.265 my cpu usage is like 70 % and the CPU fan noise is loud Sad

Can i do somthing in Kodi?

And another question is there a "search for updates" option in kodi?

Thanks
Regards Daniel
Unfortunately you didn't exactly say which Core i5 cpu you have, but I'm guessing it's one of an older generation which does not have h.265 hardware acceleration on board. That's why your CPU (and not the GPU) has to do all the hard work on decoding your hevc video. And yes, the CPU will need extra cooling resulting in a louder fan. The only solution would be to either put in a discrete GPU card capable of h265 decoding, or get new hardware altogether. Popular boxes with h265 support at the moment are the Odroid C2 and the Wetek HUB.

A search for updates would not be needed as the default setting for updating addons is already set to 'automatically update'.
Quote:And another question is there a "search for updates" option in kodi?

Yes. If you are on a repository you are able to open the context menu and select "check for updates" or do something similar while being at addons section (where you are able to select "install from repository" or "install via zip") and then navigate to the left. Then the side-menu will appear and that contains an option to check for updates as well.
(2017-07-10, 10:16)Klojum Wrote: Unfortunately you didn't exactly say which Core i5 cpu you have, but I'm guessing it's one of an older generation which does not have h.265 hardware acceleration on board. That's why your CPU (and not the GPU) has to do all the hard work on decoding your hevc video. And yes, the CPU will need extra cooling resulting in a louder fan. The only solution would be to either put in a discrete GPU card capable of h265 decoding, or get new hardware altogether. Popular boxes with h265 support at the moment are the Odroid C2 and the Wetek HUB.

A search for updates would not be needed as the default setting for updating addons is already set to 'automatically update'.

Ahh thanks for the answer.

It is a Thinkcentre M73 (10AXS0KQ00)
I can read that it supports 8-bit HEVC.

But i think VLC plays the video fine?

Regards Daniel
No outher help with this?

Regards Daniel
There's no video card that can play 8bit (only 10bit) h265 hardware decoding so it all goes back to cpu decoding.
If it's a Windows PC you can try the v18 64bit version if that handles it better.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Wait. There are devices that only can do 8 bit. But those that do 10 bit also do 8 bit h265.

Example: Skylake and Braswell can only do H265 8 bit, KabyLake and Broxton can play both 8 bit and 10 bit.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H.265 and CPU usage0