How to stream to smart TV
Hi. My internet router is about 5 MTRS away from my Smart TV, so connected Raspberry Pi via WiFi and HDMI, and setup Kodi. It worked ok, but was painfully slow, especially when navigating.
I then thought I'd move the raspberry pi next to the router and cable connect it, so it gets the best network connection, and connect the TV as a media server Upnp? Expecting then to be able to see the Kodi interface on the smart TV, but of course I could only access the media directories.
Is there a better way around this, where I can stream Kodi to my TV via the local WiFi network?
If you use the RPi as a server to the TV via UPnP, then you won't see the Kodi GUI. You will need to use the TV's video browser to select the served videos.

Options, as far as I can see.
1) Use the RPi as a UPnP server for your TV, if the TV has its own network (wifi) connection
2) Use a 5mtr HDMI cable from your RPI to your TV
3) Use an ethernet cable from your router to your RPi to replace wifi connections.

The last option would be the best IMHO.
I was hoping to avoid that, as it's difficult to hide the cable, but I guess I'm running out of options here.
I don't think that Kodi is useable over WiFi (for me), so I guess it comes down to how much I want Kodi!

Thanks.
If there is a will, there is a way. And there is more than one way to hide cables. Smile
Wireless HDMI is a thing.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
So is powerline.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
what is particular slow when using Wifi on your PI and which PI model do you have? UI can be slowish on PI1 and PI2, especially when using add-ons that do complex stuff in the background. Wired LAN won't help in this case.
I use usb wifi dongle on my Pi with good results. Streaming HD without problems and router is two rooms away

Sent from my EVA-L09

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to stream to smart TV0